Author Topic: Selah Audio Juliettas  (Read 6652 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Selah Audio Juliettas
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
My son and I heard the new Juliettas,a creation from the mind of Rick Craig.
These things oozed of absolute quality...what craftsmanship...some of the highest I have ever seen.

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Selah Audio Juliettas
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »
Sorry pictures are not posting, maybe some help?

They are in the gallery.

Mike

Anyway , a line array using RAL ribbon tweets and Scanspeak revelator mids with built in subs.
ahhh pictures would help,, let me try again.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:14:52 PM »

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:19:58 PM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »
Copying the URL from the graphic itself (right clicking on the pic) gives a link that doesn't work. If you drill into the thumbnail in the gallery, then you will see a field at the  bottom of the page labelled "Direct Link."   That works.

Nice pics, thanks Mike. I really wanted to hear those. They were born only 10 miles from my house but I missed them.  :duh

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 04:51:55 PM »
Rich,
Thanks for the help. My pics are terrible, but I just point and shoot, I leave the good stuff to others!

These speakers have tremendous potential.
We heard them with about 12 hours on them, also the gear, all SS, was brand new as well with about 5 hours on it, including the digital crossover.

Sound was OK, a bit shrill, so you could not play loud.
Of course my remedy would be tubes, but to be fair it needs 100's of hours of break in before any critical assessment can be made.

The owner,Andrew is a true gentleman, he opened his home to complete strangers, and welcomed them with awesome BBQ food and hospitality and some great beer from Texas.
Andrew is first rate in my book. He commisioned a great pair of speakers that I am sure will blossom into greatness.
I would love to come back for a second listen after 400 hours of break in.
These speakers are absolutley gorgeous, workmanship on par with a Rennaisance artist, truly,
Wilsons are like high school shop projects compared to these.

Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 05:02:49 PM »
That's great. The active CO will allow Andrew to tweak the tone to his preference, but like you said, no point doing that until the new amp smell wears off.

Those ribbons have tremendous power and clarity. They have wide dispersion horizontally, which tends to light up the sidewalls and the room can sound a little bright.  But the DEQX can easily compensate.
Thanks Mike!!

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »
BTW our host owns Rub restaurants, a BBQ place in NYC and Las Vegas
food was absolutely ..GREAT
we had smoked ribs, pulled pork, smoked chicken, beans that were smoked for 10 hours, potato salad and cole slaw.
His head chef has won the title for best BBQ in america for 7 years!!
Great host, great guy
sorry no photos of food

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Mike. Yea you ain't no Levi by a long shot,,,better stick to deli meats. hahahaha

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »
Ya know it is pretty special what Levi does.
Documenting all that happens, I want to get lost in the activity, recording it all is too much work.
I am very happy to have Levi, or Buddy or Martin shoot pictures...besides it is hard to hold a SLR and a wine glass at the same time :rofl:

Robin, don't tell me you are not coming to the rave, you know it is a dog friendly house.
Mike

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »
(it sure is tough cross posting on 2 sites, but ... oh well)
Well I made it to the noon session. Topround was there and took some pictures, which I'm sure he'll post. I want to thank Andrew for his great hospitality in allowing us to come over and give a listen. What a beautiful apartment. 15 foot ceilings, a beautiful backyard (too bad it was rainy), amazing kitchen and great food. Andrew owns a BBQ restaurant on 23rd St. and if you get a chance to visit and sample the menu I suggest you do. His partner was 3 time US BBQ champ and the food reflected this. Simply awesome! Hopefully he will post more details about his place and maybe a link as well.

These line arrays are certainly one of a kind. An open baffle design for the mids and ribbon tweets, supported by carbon graphite rods int he back and carbon graphine on both the front and back of the main baffle. Very rigid and lighter than other materials. The main baffle was perched on top of the bass cabinet and separated by some steel plates with a damping between them, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, Rick can clarify the design details. The cabinets were veneered (or constructed of?) in babmoo ply, which gave them a really nice design feature in the exposed edges.

The speakers unfortunately were not broken in for more than about 12 hours, and the amp itself was brand new out of the box, so my perceptions on the sound should be taken in context - these speakers certainly give you the impression that they will be great given time. The potential could certainly be heard. A bit light sounding (the woofer needs to loosen up for sure and the lower mids need to fill in) and the imaging and air are not fully present. Exactly what you would expect of a brand new setup. Maybe we can convince Andrew to host a mini rave down the road once he gets a chance to play with all of these new toys a bit.

Thanks again,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
Ya know it is pretty special what Levi does.
Documenting all that happens, I want to get lost in the activity, recording it all is too much work.
I am very happy to have Levi, or Buddy or Martin shoot pictures...besides it is hard to hold a SLR and a wine glass at the same time :rofl:

Robin, don't tell me you are not coming to the rave, you know it is a dog friendly house.
Mike

Ya, I know Mike but you have no idea what it's like to listen to Bandit whine for 6 straight hours. I look forward to that time to listen to freshly burnt CD-R's and I don't need him ruining that for me. It's really just too far,,,,,,
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 07:29:29 PM »
Well Robin you will be missed.
We have to plan a rave that is a bit closer to you.
I hear Howard Dean is an audiophile :rofl:
You should get in touch with him!! Let him host!!