Author Topic: Just heard the new Vandersteen 7's wow!!  (Read 10807 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Just heard the new Vandersteen 7's wow!!
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »
I just heard the new Vandersteen 7's tonite, upfront and personal.
All vinyl playback, and it was wonderful.
The new speakers have new drivers made out of balsa/carbonfiber, and they are very light and very fast.
This speed results in incredible microdynamics, resulting in tremendous resolution. Musical notes have such speed and accuracy in timing that it creates a whole new level of background. In other words the images are in such sharp focus, that the blurring or smearing of sound is so reduced that you can hear deep into a recording. Creating this ability to see into a recording so deep is pretty amazing, it makes you hear differently, it is addictive.  Granted the source was absolutely reference, and that helped alot, you could get a Lamborghini for what the source costs.  :?But it was worth it.

Vandersteen has raised the bar with these new drivers that he hand builds :!:
Others will have to catch up with this new technology, it will be an interesting future for speakers as others start to capitilize on the research that was started by Vandersteen.
Speaker manufacturers having been trying all sorts of things to improve their speakers, this guy just moved that research way foward, and eventually we will all benefit, as the technology trickles down.

If you guys can get a chance to hear them, take it. They are so musical. Definitley not hifi at all.

Also the 5A owners will have the opportunity to upgrade their drivers to this new technology, If I owned 5A's, and had the cash I would defintely do it!! Money well spent as far as I am concerned.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Bigfish8

Re: Just heard the new Vandersteen 7's wow!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:21:35 PM »
Mike:

I am glad you got to hear the 7's today as I read your post on AC from Saturday that the room was so crowded you were not able to get in.  If I had been fortunate enough to make it out to RMAF this year the 7's along with the Salk HT-4's and the new open baffle GR Research speakers were the only ones on my must hear list.  You have confirmed all other comments I have read about the Vandy 7's.  Some of us can dream that we could have the money for the proper room, these speakers and the electronics required to do these speakers justice.

Ken

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »
Yes, I heard it with big buck gear in front of them.
But I don't believe you really need all that, a good source, pre, and amp. would be more than adequate. They are tuned for a particular room, I saw the sheet they use to measure the room and the results after the adjustments on the crossover.  Very impressive, takes the guess work out.

This has me thinking seriously about the Quattros, similiar design, but much less money, and the adjustability is a big bonus.
The sevens are special because of their drivers, but that will trickle down eventually.
Most of us already have "good enough" gear to drive them

Using a 150 k turntable and 30k phono pre, well that is just icing, very sweet and special icing.

You only need 6 numbers!!6 special lotto numbers :lol:

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »
Mike:

I am glad you got to hear the 7's today as I read your post on AC from Saturday that the room was so crowded you were not able to get in.  If I had been fortunate enough to make it out to RMAF this year the 7's along with the Salk HT-4's and the new open baffle GR Research speakers were the only ones on my must hear list.  You have confirmed all other comments I have read about the Vandy 7's.  Some of us can dream that we could have the money for the proper room, these speakers and the electronics required to do these speakers justice.

Ken

Of those three Ken....best bet....Danny's new speakers...they were really sounding good.
(yes....I did hear all three at RMAF....along with Captain Humble/Jeff).

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »
Ken,
I agree the system I heard was pretty special, and very expensive.
But I know that similar results can be had for far less.
I have found that synergy trumps money every time, money helps, it makes it easier to get results, but synergy does not come from money, but from experience.
I have heard mega buck systems that just miss the mark, they look good, but the money spent just does not represent anything close to the real value. It is a shame, and a reality. The guys with the deep pockets really have no advantage over those with shallower pockets. In fact the shallow pocket guys try harder and usually get better results.
Of course if you have access to really good gear..and know what you are doing...well that is what I heard the other night with the Vandy 7's.
And that is what made it special.
Mike

Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 07:56:07 PM »
Ken,
I agree the system I heard was pretty special, and very expensive.
But I know that similar results can be had for far less.
I have found that synergy trumps money every time, money helps, it makes it easier to get results, but synergy does not come from money, but from experience.
I have heard mega buck systems that just miss the mark, they look good, but the money spent just does not represent anything close to the real value. It is a shame, and a reality. The guys with the deep pockets really have no advantage over those with shallower pockets. In fact the shallow pocket guys try harder and usually get better results.
Of course if you have access to really good gear..and know what you are doing...well that is what I heard the other night with the Vandy 7's.
And that is what made it special.
Mike

Mike:

I will just keep working on my system to make it the best I possibly can.  However, I will never stop dreaming that someday my ship will come sailing in! :rofl:

Ken

Tagman

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:27:09 AM »
I also got to hear the 7's at the Vandersteen demo at Audio Connection. First Richard Vandersteen
gave his speech on speaker design, and he told us all about how the 7's came about then we demoed
the 7's in a packed room. I agree with Mike Topround, There was probably $20,000 plus in gear driving these
babies, but it won't be necessary to get the best sound.

My thoughts on these speakers were that I heard the highest level of refinement that i ever heard
from a loudspeaker, period! These speakers are about the music. As we heard various artists during the demo
there was one point when John Rutan had a wonderful female singer in which her voice was projected in front of me like I have never heard before. While i was listening to this beauty I was almost able to see what she looked like. I also asked John what he thought her age was during the demo. This is an example of how the 7's touched me.

drews_hifi

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:20:13 AM »
hi mike,

when you say "raised the bar"
i wonder in comparison to what?

are they better than the big ascendos?
are they as exciting and solid as the MBL 101e?
are they as quick and resolving as an electrostat?
as dynamic as TAD?
as convincing as the Wilson Maxx?

theres a lot of good competition in the dream speaker 50k range

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »
Mikey's favorable review is published in current Stereophile. 

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 01:11:45 PM »
another big time disappointment from CES.  I specifically sought these out because I was really curious to give them a listen.  They were in two rooms and I left both shaking my head at how completely unimpressed I was.  I don't expect miracles at shows and I've been to enough of them to know the drawbacks.  But I went in genuinely curious because I was thinking of getting a pair for myself based on some research..... and I left thinking I wouldn't pay 1/20 of MSRP for them.  This hobby is a trip sometimes.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  It's funny how these can touch someone so profoundly and I walk away with a very different reaction...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
I can understand how you would be disappointed. I heard they sounded aweful by many people,
But trust me I had an up close and personal listen with lots of different music in a familiar setting, with
a very high end rig, and trust me it was great.
I heard the 5A's at Audio Connection and was floored, then heard them at Rocky Mountain and was very suprised
at how bad they sounded there. I even had a conversation with Richard Vandersteen about how
bad they sounded. Of course he was pissed, but it was the truth.
Many rooms at RMAF sounded bad, but I have learned not to judge the gear from those venues, but it
is tough when you walk into a room and hear expensive stuff sound so bad.
But trust me the 7's sound great, you get sucked into the music when you hear them.

He raised the bar in refinement. Very fast, clean, detailed and so musical with no trace of fatigue
anywhere. True lots of great speakers for 50k, this is one of them. The new cones seem to
tackle alot of problems, so these are a bit different than your average superspeaker, which are well made and
well designed, these have that plus a new technology that does seem to really work.
I am sure this cone material will trickle down to other designs and other manufacturers.

mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
Cones are balsa core carbon composite that RV makes himself, then sends the cones to Scan or someone in Denmark to build into complete drivers.  The article says this material is even used in the tweeter dome.  There is also a lot of composites used in the cabinets to reduce resonance there, same concept.

I've had mostly negative experiences hearing Vandersteens.  But I trust Fremer, topround and zybar so I remain hopeful to hear them up to snuff someday.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »
It's funny how these can touch someone so profoundly and I walk away with a very different reaction...

That happened to me at the Vandy 5 demo that Richard V gave. I thought they sounded strange, like they were miswired or something, and many there were just in awe after hearing what they thought was the best sound ever.

Turns out they were set up in the wrong place. I thought about saying something to Mr. V but I figured hell, he's supposed to be the best speaker guy in the world (at least he's convinced he is) demoing the speakers in the shop of the guy whose supposed to be among the best Vandy set-up guys in the country and they sounded, well, not lousy but not very good that's for sure.

I figured that's what they were supposed to sound like, but I guess I was wrong.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 05:45:13 AM »
Phasey, splashy, confused is usually my reaction to Vandersteen's in a demo.. They sound kind of dreamy/swirly but dry.  That said, I don't know how they're supposed to sound.. I don't know which ones I've heard.. I've heard several over the years and they do seem like an acquired taste... I can identify the Vandersteen house sound easily when people are demo'ing speakers too.  

I'd really like to hear them properly setup at some point so I can 'get it'.  It seems like they'd have some of the magic of quads but with some slam.  I like their liveliness... and maybe some other things about them I can't remember.. So, there is certainly potential.. but they do seem to require room reinforcement to 'work right'...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »
The 1's 2's and 3's have a certain sound that is impressive at first, big , open, dynamic, but after a while it bothers me, I can't actually put my finger on it, but it lacks..love..if you know what I mean, technically they are great but they don't emotionally move me.

The quatro's are a different animal, much better, setup right with the right gear they can be great.

The 5's, lack some of the animalistic punch of the quatros, in favor of being way more refined and textured, layers I am talking about.

I was in love with the 5's until I heard the Proac D38's setup in the same room as the 5's, game over.
Everyone I brought there said exactly the same thing, WOW, The big Proac's just excel in musicality, they will romance the credit card out of your wallet so be careful.
I heard the Proac's with Quicksilver mono's, AR ref3 pre , and AR cd7. Mind bendingly great!
Also with Primare integrated and Primare cd player, obviously not as great as the above system but still very good, so good people preffered that cheaper system to the 5's with the AR reference system that was powering it.

For me the D38's have it in spades over the Vandy's, but that is what I prefer, and to all the people that were there they preferred the Proac's, but again the Proac's were to their taste, some will prefer the Vandys.

The 7's are a whole different animal, they smoke the whole Vandy line, but I would love to hear a pair of the 5's with those drivers(which is coming soon)that might be magic!