Author Topic: Powercord, Power Conditioners- How important is a UL approval ?  (Read 4419 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Powercord, Power Conditioners- How important is a UL approval ?
« on: October 11, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »
I do not notice many of these devices carry UL certification. In case of fire would we be covered by ouir insurance policy? I am especially concerned with foreign models and their build quality Are we taking a chance?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
Re: Powercord, Power Conditioners- How important is a UL approval ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:04:36 AM »
Yeah, I've been somewhat concerned about that.  But then again, I'm not sure if any of my equipment is UL certified.  I doubt my amps are (Welborne 2A3 SETs), same with my turntable.

There's not much you can do.  I seem to remember Paul McGowan saying that he builds to ETL specs and can't afford to work with UL. 

Have you asked your agent?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:23 AM »
I don't know the law on UL or what it covers... But I thought one of the reasons so many companies used IEC inlets was to avoid having to go through the UL certification process and save a lot of money and time....
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 05:34:28 AM »
Yeah, I've been somewhat concerned about that.  But then again, I'm not sure if any of my equipment is UL certified.  I doubt my amps are (Welborne 2A3 SETs), same with my turntable.

There's not much you can do.  I seem to remember Paul McGowan saying that he builds to ETL specs and can't afford to work with UL. 

Have you asked your agent?

No. He is the last person I want to ask. I thought asking the inmates here would avoid any issues with the insurance company.

rollo
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 05:37:25 AM »
I don't know the law on UL or what it covers... But I thought one of the reasons so many companies used IEC inlets was to avoid having to go through the UL certification process and save a lot of money and time....

Carlman,

Never thought of that. Makes sense, the process is expensive. Maybe a cable Manf. can shed some light.

rollo