Author Topic: need recommendation re integrated amp  (Read 19657 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
need recommendation re integrated amp
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:26:15 AM »
As some of you may know, my speaker experiment with the Nola’s didn’t pan out. So I’m left with my SP Tech 86 dB 2 ways for now.  I’ve been thinking about considering an integrated, but it might be a tall order to sonically match my modded McCormack.
Ideally,  the integrated would have separate power supplies and be remote controllable. As time goes by, I’m more amenable to tubes and a more enjoyable sound. I’ve grown tired of the “neutral” somewhat etched sound that I’ve lived with for years. As to the tubes, I wouldn’t want to have to retube 6-8 tubes every couple of years. As always, I have a budget and it can’t exceed $2500. Are there any worthy contenders that I can buy used for that price?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: need recommendation re integrated amp
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:00:44 PM »
Maybe look into Primaluna, Nick.

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/integrated-amplifiers/

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »
I think the biggest problem will be to find an integrated that has the same kind of output wattage as that McCormack (which id somewhere in the area of 150 wpc if I am not mistaken. ) Even in the Primaluna line the highest output you can get is 96 W and to get that will cost you $4400 for the stock amp, plus whatever it cost you to upgrade the output tubes from EL 34s to KT 150s.

Now if you can live with something in the area of 50 watts that would open up a whole bunch more possibilities.......
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
Nick,

Are you looking at tube only integrate or hybrid combination of tube/solid state?  If you are looking at hybrid some of the ones that come to mind are Peach Tree and Rouge Audio and the tubes are most likely 6dj8/6922/12au7/12ax7.  I do not have any experience with either of the brand, just going by the word of mouth on the net.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:04:33 PM »
I’m looking at the Prima Luna. Nice stuff.

Yes, the McCormack does a solid 150 and more. If we drop down to 50 watts, what’s out there??

Ideally, it would be all tubes or a hybrid would be fine. I really don’t know what I need to drive the SPs. Before that, I had a Metaxis ss amp that was 150 as well
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:09:05 PM »
Check in with Hugh (Angel City Audio) to see if he has anything from Melody (not sure if anything will be within your budget) or Onix.

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »
Check in with Hugh (Angel City Audio) to see if he has anything from Melody (not sure if anything will be within your budget) or Onix.

Thanks D.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »
SP Tech at 86 dB will need lots of power.

The truth of the matter is none of the mentioned even come close to Melody when it comes to SQ.
On the other hand, quality comes with more money.

May be Onix 125W amp is the one.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »
SP Tech at 86 dB will need lots of power.

The truth of the matter is none of the mentioned even come close to Melody when it comes to SQ.
On the other hand, quality comes with more money.

Thanks, Hugh. Oh the hazards of owning poor efficiency speakers... I don’t doubt the Melody SQ. Must be very, very nice.
Hope I’ll get to hear it in person next year on one of my So California trips. On another note, I was searching online and came across some AV videos...Peter Breuninger....and it was fun seeing you, Tim, Eric Hider and Triode Pete
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 05:13:52 AM »
Nick, a couple years ago I replaced all my separate components (and butt-load of power cords and interconnects) with a Devialet Expert 200.   New, that will definitely blow your budget.  Since the Expert 200 has now been replaced by the 220 Pro, you might find a good deal on a 200 (but probably still over $2500).  However, since it will replace your amp, preamp, DAC, phono pre and most of your cables, you may find it'll work.  Might be worth doing the math.   I actually came out ahead after selling all the stuff it replaced.   Sound quality has never been better!   

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 05:42:55 AM »

I have the a120 which is my backup amp  :thumb:.  I like that it is dual mono setup.  I believe the newer one is also dual mono.

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 06:34:19 AM »
Nick, a couple years ago I replaced all my separate components (and butt-load of power cords and interconnects) with a Devialet Expert 200.   New, that will definitely blow your budget.  Since the Expert 200 has now been replaced by the 220 Pro, you might find a good deal on a 200 (but probably still over $2500).  However, since it will replace your amp, preamp, DAC, phono pre and most of your cables, you may find it'll work.  Might be worth doing the math.   I actually came out ahead after selling all the stuff it replaced.   Sound quality has never been better!

Devialet is a good and sound product.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 06:34:42 AM »

I have the a120 which is my backup amp  :thumb:.  I like that it is dual mono setup.  I believe the newer one is also dual mono.

Correct.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 11:02:56 AM »
The "neutral etched sound" is the Timepieces. The McCormack is a musically balanced amp, it's not the problem, imo. You probably would have tired of the TPs sooner without the McCormack. You can pile on distortion to try to tame the TPs, or you can move on.

SP Tech was never a final destination speaker, cuz the sound is so dominating over the music. If you can find a more musically balanced speaker I think you'll be happy, after a little jonesy.

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »
The "neutral etched sound" is the Timepieces. The McCormack is a musically balanced amp, it's not the problem, imo. You probably would have tired of the TPs sooner without the McCormack. You can pile on distortion to try to tame the TPs, or you can move on.

SP Tech was never a final destination speaker, cuz the sound is so dominating over the music. If you can find a more musically balanced speaker I think you'll be happy, after a little jonesy.

I can’t say any better.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio