Author Topic: Couple questions on buying a High Def TV  (Read 21448 times)

LKdog

Couple questions on buying a High Def TV
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:49:02 PM »
Have to first admit I am not on top of the new technology, but am learning.

Here are my questions:

1) Is there any High Def TV that also looks good on SD signals?
2) Is it really worth getting a 1080p versus a 720p?
3) TV will go in basement with no windows. LCD or Plasma (or other) better suited?
4) Why is there a pretty big price differential between two brands of say, 1080p Plasmas for example? Is there different implementations of the technology and should I look for a certain type pf panel?
5) Are there good options besides LCD or Plasma I should consider?

Just looking for a good value in a 42"-46" unit.

Will be sitting about 15 feet away. Presently have an older 30" Toshiba which has a nice picture still in SD.
I have Direct TV and they are adding more and more HD channels so maybe it is time I made the change.

I do have a cheaper Vizio 26" HD 720p upstairs that looks very good on HD signal and not so good to pretty lousy on SD.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 10:02:05 PM by LKdog »

rosconey

Re: Couple questions on buying a High Def TV
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 03:35:29 AM »
they say 1080p isnt noticeable on units under 50"- is it fact i dont know

i bought a hitachi 42" plasma this past summer-it does a way better job with sd signals than my 32 lcd does

i think thats what you pay for-the extra money gets you better chipsets-

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 05:55:42 AM »
IMO, no matter the size, I'd not buy anything other than a 1080 set if budget allows.  There is so little 720 content out there and so much more 1080 content to come that in my mind, 720p just isn't an option.  1 to 1 pixel mapping and eliminating any scaling is the way to go.

I've heard people say the 50" thing before but to me that just doesn't fly.  Scaling is scaling.  It can be done well or poorly (or eliminated with 1080 display and 1080 material). 

The Sharp Aquos I have actually does a pretty good job on SD and is outstanding on HD content.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:22:34 AM »

my hitachi is a weird  one-its 1024x1080 the bigger ones are 1280x1080

not sure why they did it -but at the time 1080p units cost alot more than the hitachi-

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 06:45:42 AM »
That's another gotcha.  To be true 1080 and be 1 to 1 pixel mapped (no scaling) it must be 1920x1080.  Anything else gets scaled in the chipset.

Bryan

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 06:47:20 AM »
i understood it wasnt 1080p when i bought it-

LKdog

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 08:36:36 AM »
Thanks guys!

Bryan- What model Sharp Aquos did you get? Is it plasma or Lcd?

For my viewing distance of 15 feet- is 42" or 46" better?
Going from my 30" they should both look like a nice jump, but is there a suggested ratio?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 08:49:14 AM »
From 15' go as big as you can.

I purchased the LC-52D92U.

The 46" equivalent is the LC-46D92U.

They are LCD's but it's quite honestly the best LCD I've seen.  The blacks are VERY good which has been the weak point of LCD's in the past. 

Bryan

LKdog

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »
Is there any consensus that plasmas are preferred for some reason?
They seem a little more expensive.

I think I had read that plasmas were not so good for really bright rooms or better for darker rooms, but both LCD's and Plasmas were very good in terms of PQ now.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 09:50:07 AM »
Plasmas used to have the edge in black level but at the expense of potential burn-in like a CRT did.  The LCD's didn't have this issue.  This latest generation of LCD's has seriously narrowed the gap in terms of black level.  Quite honestly, the blacks on this are 99% as good as my last CRT RPTV was (Mits Diamond).

Colors are fantastic and brightness is very good.  It handles ambient light very well in the room.

Bryan

opnly bafld

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 09:58:21 AM »
Is projection an option?
If I had a basement I would seriously consider one based on what I have seen.
The $1k-1.5k models are only 780p but with a screen size of up to 100" it is a whole different world.

Lin

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 10:01:34 AM »
I recently purchased a Panasonic 50" Plasma in Shane's big sale.  I wanted the 50" Panasonic because everywhere I went and viewed the sets, it was always the one I liked the most, without looking at the brand or technology.  I know feeds are different everywhere but it was the overall quality of the picture I liked more... The LCD's looked edgier and the Panasonics looked smoother... almost a cd vs. vinyl type of presentation to me.  I WANTED to like LCD's but just couldn't.  On paper they're great but in person I couldn't fall in love with one.

There are 2 features I have really enjoyed about the new set... The image quality is fantastic but I'm used to that with my HD RPTV Sony 46".
#1 is the angle of view... it looks good at any angle that you can see the screen.  
#2 is the reduced fatigue.  

We watched the 'Emerald Bowl' last night on ESPN HD.  Normally after watching TV that long I'd have puffy eyes, some eye strain, a headache, etc... and with the new Plasma, I had nothing... It just felt like I'd been sitting on the couch for a while.  

Everything looks pretty good; the HD, SD, etc.  It's crisp and smooth at the same time.  There is no pixelation, artifacts, or other digital issues I can detect.  Watching underwater coverage of fish on the discovery channel has a new depth to it... har har..

The LCD's probably would get the job done but the Plasmas seem special to me.  I couldn't be happier with my choice.... Looks great on the wall too!

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Bigfish8

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 11:42:03 AM »
Congratulations Carl!  I have owned a 50" Pioneer Plasma set for a little over a year.  Initially, my wife was not into wanting a big screen tv but now she is in love with it. 

I have to tell you I did not think it could get much better until I visited Shane's today and saw his 10 foot projection screen set-up.  Man, you talk about a tv to die for!  If only I had not just had to buy my son a new vehicle!

Ken

LKdog

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »
Is projection an option?
If I had a basement I would seriously consider one based on what I have seen.
The $1k-1.5k models are only 780p but with a screen size of up to 100" it is a whole different world.

Lin

Lin-

Hey Lin-how is it going?

I don't know enough about them-a buddy of mine has one. I am going to check it out.
Do not completely understand how it works.

--Tony
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 01:12:04 PM by LKdog »

LKdog

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 01:10:56 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! -keep it coming.  :)

Like I said-I am learning about all of this.

Another maybe dumb Q-is rear projection LCD a good technology?

These are pretty reasonably priced at different places and claim to be full 1080p.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8414094&type=product&id=1181347950526