Author Topic: New flatscreen TV  (Read 28110 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: New flatscreen TV
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 02:44:57 PM »
this tv is a no brainer- a great deal at 1280 bucks- it has a real good chip inside because it does size conversion as good as any tv ive seen-the hd picture is flawless when given a good quality feed like espn or fox-

if your looking at plasma's -give a good look at the hitachi's

What specifically is the model number? I am in the market for an LCD or plasma in a few months.
Thanks
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

rosconey

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2007, 02:51:09 PM »
hitachi-p42t501

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 04:30:59 PM »
That was helpful. A few days ago, I read a review in HT magazine of the Hitachi P42H401. I am still trying to understand about pixel structures, refresh rates, ALiS, etc etc. Store displays are unfortunately pretty much useless.....
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 04:43:29 PM »
I just went through a few months of research and pinging my industry and sales contacts about performance, long term reliability, etc.  In the end, I purchased the Sharp Aquos LC-52D92U.  There is a 46" version that is identical - LC-46D92U. 

This set got pretty much unanimous praise from people in the industry for reliability and quality out of the box.  I've had it about a week now and finally got it calibrated.  I've never seen blacks like this from anything but a high dollar CRT.  Feed it a 1080 source and the picture is mind boggling.  It's literally as good or potentially better than my NEC XG-135 front PJ downstairs.

It's a bit more expensive than some of the other brands but IMO it's worth it if you have the budget.  The only thing I saw in a flat panel that was as good or better was the big Pioneer Pro at $10k for a 50" MONITOR.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Bigfish8

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2007, 04:45:09 PM »
Nick:

My Pioneer 50" Plasma is great.  My wife was not on board last year with my desire for a big screen tv but she now loves it.  By the way HD football is as close to being at the game as it gets!

Ken

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 07:28:14 PM »
I'm open to either plasma or LCD. We do own a Sharp Aquos 30HV6U that we bought over 3 years ago. It was $3,000 at the time and has the bulky external box, but it's been a good performer overall. Never owned either Hitachi or Pioneer. I'd like a great picture in the soon to be HT room, but would be hesitant to spend even $2,000 for the occasional use. My wife will still use the Sharp in her room and I'll be getting a small flatscreen (20" +/-) in my room to replace my CRT. All 3 of our huge CRT's will be headed to Goodwill.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

rosconey

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 02:00:27 PM »
sharp may make the best tv-
i just cant get past the name-all i can remember when i hear sharp-is cheap cheap cheap and it aint no bird-

i also think if it says sony it must be good-and we all know thats bs-

just one of those perception things you develop from childhood i guess-

and i have a new knife with zdp 189 steel thats hitachi and its the best blade steel ive ever used-lol lol

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2007, 05:47:40 PM »
rosconey, your "sharp is cheap" comment made me remember a funny story. I was in LA (Los Felis, near Glendale) with a friend, shopping in goodwill store, or dollar store or something full of cheap junk. My friend got excited about this calculator for $1. It looked brand new, made by "Sharp" so he bought it. We were dirt poor so he had to really think about it, but he said, "How bad can it be if it's made by Sharp?"

So he gets home and starts using it on his taxes. All of a sudden I hear him yelling and swearing. "Ahhhhh, Shit!"

I go in there, he is holding up the calculator. It says "Shrap" not Sharp, printed in the same SHARP font we all know. We didn't stop laughing for weeks.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »
Sharp WAS cheap - but always reliable.  Now, they're pushing the envelope.  I watched a $10k Pioneer side by side both calibrated against the Sharp.  The difference was trivial - and the Sharp had a tuner, speakers, and was half the price.  Then we put the Sony TOTL next to it - not even close.  The Sony was etched, artifical, etc. 

I understand completely about previous conceptions.  I used to think the same of Pioneer.  But today, if I was buying a mid-fi receiver, it would absolutely, positively be a Pioneer. 

Just my 2 cents.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley