Author Topic: Anyone using the new SqueezeCenter (SlimServer v7)?  (Read 4398 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Anyone using the new SqueezeCenter (SlimServer v7)?
« on: November 12, 2007, 04:58:27 PM »
I thought I'd give the SqueezeCenter (v7) a try even tho it's still in beta.   Install went smooth and, while I didn't time it, the full rescan seems much faster.  The new default UI is also a nice improvement but not dramatically so.   

But, what I didn't expect... I swear the sound quality is better... more relaxed, less edgy.   I'm just using a near-stock SB3 (a Black Sand cryo treated SB3 with a linear PS) with digital out to my Tact.   Of course, the sonic improvements may be just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm not about to switch back to v6.5 to find out.   Anyone else go down this path yet?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Anyone using the new SqueezeCenter (SlimServer v7)?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 07:21:57 PM »
Cool about the sound difference. Wouldn't be the first time. I remember when they were debating what kind of dithering to apply to volume change processing. It's all in software.

Unfortunately, Infrant must publish a compiled image of slimserver so it can run on my ReadyNAS. So I have to wait until official Slim upgrades. No nightly betas for me :(   Then the new images get bigger and bigger, while memory and processing stays the same, and NAS runs slower and slower haha.... I like Bryans idea of a honkin silent music server, then just use NAS as a NAS, what a concept  :duh
Thanks
Rich

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 12:46:34 PM »
FWIW, I think SqueezeCenter v7 is getting close to release... they're hinting at weeks instead of months (which likely means months instead of years ;-).

I hope the next release of the Squeezebox will take it up a notch.   There are certainly lots of things they could do to improve the SB3 and still keep it under a grand, but I wonder if Logitech sees that as a goal....   Certainly there is much discussion about the new Jive remote in the works - which does sound pretty slick.   The question is whether Logitech sees future SBs as an opportunity to improve audio fidelity or to simply increase market appeal.   We might worry about 24/96 or linear PS, but to the iPod generation, cheap and sexy sells.   

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 03:35:07 PM »
Yup, I got my eyes on that ball too, next gen SB. If and when... Likely be same sound quality (great for $300). I'd like to see price/feature reduction on next Transporter to move it into the juicy middle of high end around $1000. I hope that Jive remote will have a screen on it like Sonos.  :drool:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 03:56:38 PM »
Check out this thread for info from beta users on the Jive remote...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37856

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:28:47 PM »
Wow, looks pretty cool Mike. I look forward to reading the whole thing. Looks like a direct response to Sonos. Hallelujah.
Thanks alot!
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:49:01 PM »
I've been told I'm 'in' for the Jive remote beta program but haven't seen a remote or 'next steps'... I'll let everyone know what happens... and of course, have it available to see when I get it working.

I guess I should go ahead and download 7... I'll let you know if I hear any improvement.

TTYL,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.