Author Topic: Mac Book laptop  (Read 3077 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Mac Book laptop
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:34:37 AM »
Not being a computer person I have yet to delve into using a computer for CD playback. A few days ago my buddy came over with his Mac and we plugge it into my preamp and pressed the on button.
           Holy shit Batman, pretty darn good I'd say. For $1100 your in. No windows mucking it up, no extras to buy. The standard issue internal DAC is all you need for fine sound. An outboard DAC may make a difference but how much better it will be for the money spent may be tough to rationalize IMO.
            Was it better than the Lector I use. NO. However it was real close man. Too close for comfort actually. I mean $1100 verses $4500 not counting the powercord and ICs. On the Mac we used Firewalll and a $10 IC supplied by Mac . Incredible for the money guys. If I did not hear it in my system I never I mean never would have expected this type of performance.
            Am I selling the Lector? No. Not yet anyway. Waiting to hear what an outboard can do with the Mac. Keep ya posted as to my findings. So far so good.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Mac Book laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 09:21:38 AM »
If you're going to go with an outboard DAC, I'd strongly recommend looking at something like the Offramp.  This allows USB to SPDIF conversion and completely bypasses the 'soundcard on a chip' in the laptops. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Mac Book laptop
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:29:07 PM »
Thanks Bryan.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.