Author Topic: Burson Buffer Experience with Squeezebox  (Read 9156 times)

Bigfish8

Burson Buffer Experience with Squeezebox
« on: September 19, 2007, 05:27:48 AM »
Guys:

I have probably initiated more threads about the Squeezebox than anyone over the past few months.  I have done so because I am struggling so much with the cost of a high level of mods and high-end power supply.  Maybe if this was not my first "high-end" system and I knew what I was doing this would be much easier. 

The latest trend with the Squeezebox seems to be to use a Burson Buffer in as shipped or in a modified form with the Squeezebox.  I have traded PMs with a couple of guys here that use the Burson Buffer or have heard it and both believe it is a significant upgrade to the sound of the Squeezebox.  The real purpose of this thread is ask for the comments of others that have tried a Burson Buffer.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Burson Buffer Experience with Squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:39:49 AM »
I'll clarify what I sent you earlier. 

When I heard the Burson and the modded Burson, it was in a system where the SB (boulder statement mod) was directly driving a single ended 300B based tube amp.  The difference was very noticible and for the better with the stock Burson.  The difference with the modded one was nothing short of staggering.  When we went back to just the stock Burson, everyone collectively went 'ick' (sorry for the technical term) even though we had all heard a nice improvement when it was in over the SB->amp direct. 

I do not know what kind of difference it will make with a preamp in the loop as in theory a lot of the issue is simply that the SB doesn't like the impedance mismatch of driving the amp directly.  Even so, it was such a large difference that I told Wayne I wanted one on the spot (something I NEVER do). 

The power supply difference from stock to the Elpac is a very worthwhile improvement.  Elpac to my older Boulder PS (a modded Rev 1 Basic) is along the same order of magnitude change.  The new one is pretty steep price wise and I'm personally not going there quite yet - other fish to fry.  It's like anything else, the differences get smaller and smaller but the full blown PS does definitely add some detail, finesse, clarity, quietness, etc.  I personally just am not spending another grand on that.

If you decide to do the Statement mods to the SB, just be prepared for a break-in.  There are both BlackGate and VH Teflon caps in the unit.  Both take up to 500 hrs to really settle in.  My Statement now has about 300 hrs on it and I'm absolutely giddy already.  The difference between my SB2->MHDT Paradesea combo and it is not at all subtle.  Money very well spent in my opinion. 

If you're going to be at RMAF, I'll have the Statement SB3 there and HOPEFULLY a modded Burson.  At a minimum, I'll have my old Boulder PS.  Stop on by - I'm sharing a room with Mike Dzurko from ACI.  Electronics will be a Korato tube preamp driving the 100 WPC (30 WPC Class A) Korato bipolar solid state dual mono amp.  Speakers will be ACI Sapphire XL's.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Bigfish8

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 01:13:31 PM »
Bryan:

I am wishing more and more that I had decided to take the trip to RMAF.  Honestly, I have spent so much money putting this system together this year (from scratch) that I would wait another year.  I believe RMAF would have have been an SLO for me as well as an opportunity to meet so many of you guys.

The S3 I have has the Bolder Analog Mods with Platinum caps and I am using the Bolder modified linear Elpac Power Supply.  Everything I have read about the Burson Buffer is that it significantly improves the sound of mid-fi gear and I have yet to read any comment from a Squeezebox Owner that was not impressed with the improvement.  I certainly thank you for your feedback and I guess a Burson Buffer will be the next item on a never ending wish list.

Ken

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »
Forgive my ignorance here, but it seems to me that if you're using a pre-amp; the output from the Squeezebox IS buffered. I thought the reason for the buffer was to accomodate a direct connection to the amplifier(s) for those not using a pre-amp. :?

Just wondering....

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 02:35:31 PM »
Yes - that was the primary reason.

I want to hear it with a preamp and see if it still provides the benefit.  That's why I made sure I identified that my listening session was without a preamp.

Bryan

Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:47:29 PM »
Forgive my ignorance here, but it seems to me that if you're using a pre-amp; the output from the Squeezebox IS buffered. I thought the reason for the buffer was to accomodate a direct connection to the amplifier(s) for those not using a pre-amp. :?

Just wondering....

WEEZ

Hopefully John of Black Sands Cable will respond.  He has communicated to me that the Burson Buffer significantly improved the sound of a stock S3 when connected between the S3 and his preamp.  My question was basically the same as yours as I have to keep the preamp in the chain as I need it for switching for HT.

I just sense the cash register ringing and my wallet getting ever lighter!

Ken

WEEZ

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:51:52 PM »
I understand  :) ka-ching, ka-ching

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:26:12 PM »

If you're going to be at RMAF, I'll have the Statement SB3 there and HOPEFULLY a modded Burson.  At a minimum, I'll have my old Boulder PS.  Stop on by - I'm sharing a room with Mike Dzurko from ACI.  Electronics will be a Korato tube preamp driving the 100 WPC (30 WPC Class A) Korato bipolar solid state dual mono amp.  Speakers will be ACI Sapphire XL's.

Bryan
Sounds like its going to be a very good room Bryan....nice !!!! See you there......8)

...........Chris

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »
OT Sorry - but thought I should also add that we'll have a Rega player there for those who want to listen to CD without it being burned.

Bryan

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »

Just wondering....

WEEZ

Hopefully John of Black Sands Cable will respond.  He has communicated to me that the Burson Buffer significantly improved the sound of a stock S3 when connected between the S3 and his preamp.  My question was basically the same as yours as I have to keep the preamp in the chain as I need it for switching for HT.

I just sense the cash register ringing and my wallet getting ever lighter!

Ken

Ask and I'm here.... :D

As I mentioned to Ken a few day's ago I have a stock Burson Buffer feeding a stock SB3 and this combo works very well together. I have owned modded SB2's and SB3's with every option known to man and my current combo works very well and dare I say equals and in some areas betters a stock Transporter.

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 05:47:25 AM »
John:
Are you able to give us your impression of the Burson vs. the EE Buffer in your system?

Thanks,
Ed

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 05:49:53 AM »
John, Is your SB and/or Burson cryoed? That makes a huge difference.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
John, Is your SB and/or Burson cryoed? That makes a huge difference.

Nope. At this time they are both 100% stock. I may do them both eventually but at the moment they are completely stock.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 09:41:48 AM »
John:
Are you able to give us your impression of the Burson vs. the EE Buffer in your system?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed,

I'm still fooling around with the two of them and in all honesty I'm not sure how to compare the two as they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. They both excel at what they do but they do it in very different ways and the end result IMO is about as night and day as it comes.

Once I get some more time under my belt with the buffer I will post something. To post anything now might not be fair to the buffer as I have had the BBA for a long time and I know it well but my time with the buffer is limited when compared to my time with the BBA.....if that makes any sense at all!  :duh

Bigfish8

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 06:29:07 PM »
John,

Thank you for selling me one of your Burson Buffers!  I can now wait impatiently to receive it and try connecting it between my S3 and Odyssey Candela Preamp!!  Based on everything I have read, along with Bryan's and your comments I should be a happy man. :drool: :rofl:

Ken