Author Topic: Using Laptop to Control S3 from Upstairs Server  (Read 3168 times)

Bigfish8

Using Laptop to Control S3 from Upstairs Server
« on: September 07, 2007, 05:51:09 PM »
Guys:

I love the convenience of the Squeezebox but hate having to squint to see the screen on it to make selections with the remote control.  Tonight I was browsing the Slim Forum and came across a recommendation that works and is great for my situation.  I have a desktop computer upstairs that runs Slimserver.  Previously I had to go upstairs to create a new playlist or play around with the small screen on the S3.  Since I have a laptop this offers me the perfect solution:

Just point the browser on your laptop to http://<slimserver_ip>:9000/ , but putting the IP address of your basement pc in place of <slimserver_ip>.
>Do I need to have the slimserver installed on my laptop along with Softsqueeze <
No.
>is that the same ip address that I am showing on the Squeezebox<

It's the IP address of the server your squeezebox connects to. On the SB Menu do Settings->Information->Server Information and scroll down to Host IP address.

This works fantastic and I wish I had know about this months ago.

Ken
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 05:52:45 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Using Laptop to Control S3 from Upstairs Server
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 07:11:24 PM »
Ahh, the magic of the web!

Your laptop is working as a webserver, and any browser on it's network can make requests of the server. Laptop, HandheldPC, squeezebox, softsqueeze, cellphone, anything with a web browser. If you make your slimserver available to the internet (not advised) you could play songs from anywhere, except you couldn't hear them  :(

Wait til you discover the skins and plugins like Inguz.  8)  Lots of fun.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Using Laptop to Control S3 from Upstairs Server
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 04:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Ken.  I wish I'd read something like this a long time ago... and hopefully others will see it and benefit a shorter learning curve.

Glad you found something that works for you...  :D

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.