Author Topic: PREAMP - HEART of the SYSTEM  (Read 16522 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
PREAMP - HEART of the SYSTEM
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »
   Over the years I have owned some very well respected preamps. Klyne SK5A, Loesch & Weisner, Audible Illusions, Audio Research SP6 and SP9, Dodd, Music First [ passive], Promithius [ passive], Miracle Audio and Wytech Opal. Some great company there.
   All did their job very well and offered different qualities. Well take all those great qualities put them together and what do you have. You have the Lamm LL2.1 hybrid preamp. A two box affair with tubed power supply and SS output.
  I cannot tell ya enough how much more music in such a natural way this preamp produces. The small cues of real sound, the inflections, detail, harmonics, decay of notes and sheer dynamics with bass that will shock you.
  Truly state of the art and priced accordingly. If you can swing it don't look back get one. I am smitten.  :drool: :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: PREAMP - HEART of the SYSTEM
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:57:22 PM »
   Over the years I have owned some very well respected preamps. Klyne SK5A, Loesch & Weisner, Audible Illusions, Audio Research SP6 and SP9, Dodd, Music First [ passive], Promithius [ passive], Miracle Audio and Wytech Opal. Some great company there.
   All did their job very well and offered different qualities. Well take all those great qualities put them together and what do you have. You have the Lamm LL2.1 hybrid preamp. A two box affair with tubed power supply and SS output.
  I cannot tell ya enough how much more music in such a natural way this preamp produces. The small cues of real sound, the inflections, detail, harmonics, decay of notes and sheer dynamics with bass that will shock you.
  Truly state of the art and priced accordingly. If you can swing it don't look back get one. I am smitten.  :drool: :thumb:

charles

That’s some very excellent gear, Charles.  Was wondering what the retail is on that unit? 15k?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »
Charles -

The Lamm LL2.1 is the single box unit for aprox $8k.

I think you mean the Lamm L2.1 - (1 less 'L') - which is the 2 box unit for aprox $26k.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:41:24 AM »
This is better!

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 05:10:21 PM »
This is better!

Geez, Pete, that’s quite a compliment to Vinnie. I somewhat recall you having had the the L & W, right?
And for price comparison purposes, here’s Vinnie’s homepage for the L2
https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-signature-preamplifier/
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »
Charles -

I think you mean the Lamm L2.1 - (1 less 'L') - which is the 2 box unit for aprox $26k.

Thanks for the info
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »
This is better!

Geez, Pete, that’s quite a compliment to Vinnie. I somewhat recall you having had the the L & W, right?

Hey Nick,
After living with and listening to Vinnie's new L2 Signature Preamp for 8 days (4 days at RMAF and 4 days at the NYAS), I knew it was very special and put it on my "Wish List"... Vinnie hand delivered a fully-loaded one to me last month... What sound... and a Triode Tube swappers dream... can take a ton of different directly-heated triode varieties... 300B, 2A3, 45, PX4, 101D, 205D, and SV811...

Yeah, the Loesch & Wiesner is great... but this one's a bit better overall... Triodes Rule!

Charles - only busting' your bullocks! You know, "Mary had a little Lamm"... :rofl:

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 07:53:20 PM »
This is better!

Hey Nick,
After living with and listening to Vinnie's new L2 Signature Preamp for 8 days (4 days at RMAF and 4 days at the NYAS), I knew it was very special and put it on my "Wish List"... Vinnie hand delivered a fully-loaded one to me last month... What sound... and a Triode Tube swappers dream... can take a ton of different directly-heated triode varieties... 300B, 2A3, 45, PX4, 101D, 205D, and SV811...

Yeah, the Loesch & Wiesner is great... but this one's a bit better overall... Triodes Rule!

Charles - only busting' your bullocks! You know, "Mary had a little Lamm"... :rofl:

Cheers,
Pete

Why am I not surprised that “Triodes Rule”?!   :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 08:24:19 AM »
Charles -

Thanks "Typo" Yes $26,590 is the list price.

charles
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:48:07 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »
  Vinnie makes a VG  preamp, but it ain't no Lamm sorry.  Only a bit better than L&W ? The Lamm is way better. So better is better than better. New and improved. Better is better.  :lol: :rofl:  So what cables are you using ? I can recommend some excellent ones.  :rofl: :rofl: Oh just breaking your balls  :thumb: Fun fun fun.
 Quote " The L2.1 reference belongs to a select club of line preamps that are capable of serving up an edgeless organic whole. It is a true reference in every sense of the word"

charles
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:53:41 AM by rollo »

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »
    Only a bit better than L&W ?
 Quote " The L2.1 reference belongs to a select club of line preamps that are capable of serving up an edgeless organic whole. It is a true reference in every sense of the word"

charles

You had a "FrankenSchwartz" L&W, not the real deal I own... in fact, John Wiesner's personal one that I coerced out of his home... LOL!

I'd say both preamps (Vlad's & Vinnie's) are reference-quality!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:58:08 AM »
Lamm would be better with a few modifications. Their potentiometers are trash, for example.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
    Only a bit better than L&W ?

charles

You had a "FrankenSchwartz" L&W, not the real deal I own... in fact, John Wiesner's personal one that I coerced out of his home... LOL!

I'd say both preamps (Vlad's & Vinnie's) are reference-quality!

Cheers,
Pete

Not so if you recall John W. Un frankenschwartzed mine and made it like his own.  That is what I paid big money to get done. Yes they both make reference quality components just different. I would say Vinnie has a great start but not the history of design accomplishments of Vladimir. In time knowing Vinnie I expect him catching up and receiving the accolades of Lamm products over the years. Viva la preamps!

charles
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:26:04 PM by rollo »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
Lamm would be better with a few modifications. Their potentiometers are trash, for example.

Really, stepped TKD  trash ? It is the whole sum of parts not one part. With no more than .03% distortion overall, that .03% must be the TKD then.  :duh BTW both Kondo and Audio Note use them as well.

charles
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:32:38 PM by rollo »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 12:53:28 PM »
Geez, do you 2 need a room to have a slap fight?

I'd love to own any of these units, but being unemployed precludes any new purchases.

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."