Author Topic: Outdoor speakers  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Outdoor speakers
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »
I have had pretty good luck with my 5.25" on-wall patio speakers.  They were cheap and sound pretty good for the cost, $70 for the pair. This is what I have.

We are removing our builder-standard 14x14 deck and replacing with a 14x24 with a roof, recessed lights, ceiling fans, etc.  The existing speakers are under an eave above the back door and central to the new deck.  They're adequate for background and general rocking out.  They are loud and clear enough to drown out conversations near them. 

My only complaint with them is they don't create a widely dispersed sound area, it's fairly focused.  My builder recommended in-ceiling speakers.  I found these. They appear to be OK.. and the builder is willing to make sealed MDF boxes around them to help the sound also. 

I'm not sure why ceiling speakers have to be round and in-walls have to be square but I have no preference about shape.  Color doesn't matter either, I'll be painting/staining them to match the ceiling, which will be toungue-in-groove 4" slats.  The final finish will be pickled, not sure which color, probably cream to match the trim.

Anyway, looking for options to create more of a 'soundscape' or more overall spread sound that will hold up in the outdoors for years.. have reasonable bass, and not look too unsightly.

We have ceiling fans and lights to consider.. and I'll work all that out.  But I was thinking 2 spread out larger in-ceilings might accomplish what I want better than 2 cabinet-based speakers pointing down.

Thoughts?

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Online BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Outdoor speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »
I got a pair of Niles outdoor speakers about 2 years ago and have been very happy. Let's just say they could easily function as monitors on a decent indoor system, but have the "outdoor" weatherproof stamp of approval by the manufacturer. They sound great, but they do not hide in the eaves.

Here's the one's I got (OS 5.5) but there are other models as well: http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=OS5.5&recordID=OS%20Indoor/Outdoor%20Loudspeakers&categoryID=Speakers&catcdID=1&prdcdID=FG00992

Good luck,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:24 PM »
Some of those fake rock speakers sound OK, but there are many brands, not all of them can be great. The BOSE ones hidden in the plant beds at the outdoor malls like southpoint and North Hills do sound pretty good. I bet the price is proportionate to the sound.

I got some huge patio speakers, my wife was scared of them at first. She thought that they were so big that they would only be able to play loudly. I told her that the bigger they are, the more bass they make (which frightened her even more), which means you can still get satisfying bass even when the volume is very low. She didn't believe me, she thought it was a ruse to get "more" huge speakers in the house. But now she likes them. But they are huge and only a committed  audio guy could get away with it.

Offline Scott F.

• Seeking Help
  • ...DOH!....DOH!....DOH!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:35:02 PM »
Hi Carl,

I've been through a number of the outdoor speakers (Niles, Yamaha, B&W) and this one is my favorite so far
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/NEW-Intimus-Outdoor-Speaker-Alpine-White,230,31,718.aspx

I use the Intimus outdoor. Its a 6.5" DVC woofer. The second coil is hooked up to make it a 2.5 way speaker. I want to say the second coil kicks in around 60-70Hz which means they have pretty nice bass (for and outdoor). Oh, the second coil is adjustable in 2db (I think) adjustments.

The soundstage they project is fairly decent, are reasonably defined (even better when the grilles are removed) and are reasonably priced. The image is a little on the large size...well huge actually...at least on my back deck. That could probably be tamed with better placement.

Anyway, they are worthy of looking at since you are in the market. If I had to compare their sound (without the grilles) I'd say they were somewhat similarly voiced to some small Dynaudio or Paradigm monitors less a bit of the bass. Very nice little speakers overall.
My brain hurts.....

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:30:57 PM »
So everyone likes the patio speakers, with cabinets, frames, etc.   hmm.. I'd probably give the same advice.

The ones I have sound quite nice... just a little less 'spread out' sounding than I wish they'd be.
I've heard good rock speakers, the ones from that OSD url I posted above.. they are not bad at all.
I just don't know where I'd put them.

I was thinking some omnidirectional speakers would work... but I've never heard them (that I recall).

Thanks for the link, Scott.. I'll take a look.

-C

Offline laserman

• Seeking Help
  • Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »
Hi Carl,

If you are mostly happy with your current speakers, then call the ID store and ask them for their opinion.  Like you, I have dealt with them and they appear to be straight shooters and sell decent products.

On the chance you revisit going with built in speakers, you should look at automotive/boat speakers.  They hold up remarkably well in a patio application but are localized to whoever sits below them.

Like the others, I recommend the stand alone speakers in their own cabinets.  Niles, Aperion, or the ones at your ID store are all excellent choices.

If you know someone in Las Vegas, ask them to check out the speakers outside of the WINN.  You may be lucky enough to get the front desk to connect you with the electronics guy and he’ll tell you what they used.  I know, I know, Winn likes expensive things.

OBTW, I picked up a pair of Bose Environmental 251’s at BB for $70 (MSRP is $398) as an open box closeout to give to a friend.  I figured at that price they were priced about right.   :thumb:  My friend moved and no longer had a need for outside speakers.  I hooked them up on my patio and in this application they sound pretty decent.

Good luck and go with one with a long warrantee period.

Lou
A musically satisfying system is 50% the components and 50% you.  Until you have a handle on your own "inner sensibilities to sound and music," you are only dealing with half of the equation.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:28:51 PM »
Marine speakers.. Hmmm..
These look cool: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_204MT8002S/Bazooka-8-Tubbies-Pair-White.html?tp=3384

I could see just cutting an opening and sliding them in.. might work splendidly... might not.  But a good thought nonetheless.

-C

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »
I ordered and received those 'tubbies'... Hooked them up and played them for 24 hours.  They are now back in their boxes with an RMA#.  YUCK!  Really bright... not much bass unless you crank them to 90db+ and even then it's still more of a PA speaker sound.  Very shouty.. These would work great on a Coast Guard boat for an amplified announcement system.. but not nearly refined enough for music.

At low volume, only upper mids and highs remained... making them sound like a transistor radio.

So, I've gone back to the original plan and ordered the OSD's.  I'm going to build MDF boxes behind them and possibly make a port, all by gut with no idea what I'm doing other than making a box that will fit and reflect bass back out into the deck.

-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
Bummer man.  

I think mine sound pretty good. Nice bass, not too bright, and kinda weatherproof, except for the brass connectors and painted steel screen is a little rusty from powerwashing them a couple times.  :twisted:  They are 8" woofers with decent sized ported box, so they are pretty big but they play low. Take a listen when you're over next time.

I figured out what they are...   OSD-AP850
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/apmasepasp.html

You recommended them to me back in 2007...    :rofl:   You gave me some good advice!!
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=237.msg3566#msg3566

But they're not rock speakers for on the ground use.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 12:32:43 PM »
I like what you have, Rich.. I just wanted something more 'tucked in' out there.. I like the flush look and since the SQ isn't going to matter too much, I'm letting looks be first priority.  I thought about flush-mounting cabinets but then I thought why not build my own cabinets behind these speakers?  So, that's the plan.  I'll probably use a little more than just gut, also. ;)

I'm glad you like those speakers.. I have the same thing on my deck now in the 5" version... which I think you've heard at my place.

-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
Sorry, I didn't see you already said you were going with OSD.

I'm happy to help if you need any....