Author Topic: Anyone audition the Geddes loudspeaker?  (Read 10090 times)

bozack

Anyone audition the Geddes loudspeaker?
« on: February 21, 2010, 05:11:02 AM »
Interested in some opinions...Thanks
http://www.gedlee.com/

pmkap

Re: Anyone audition the Geddes loudspeaker?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:25:24 AM »
I was lucky to visit Mike Galusha's home when attending RMAF '09. He has a pair of the Abbeys? (the 12" woofer version) augmented by 3 subwoofers (I don't recall the specific models). I characterize them with the following - dynamic, tonality, seamless. These, IMO, are what the listeners of Klipshorns, Classic Audio Reproduction, and many of the large speakers are seeking. They image and soundstage quite well, far better than I expected, but as an Alon owner, they're only lack is that wonderful holographic sound stage (which simply doesn't exist in live performances).
Save for that one caveat, IMO, they're wonderful speakers and if your primary goals are dynamics and seamless tonality, they're close to ideal.

Hopefully, Mike will chime in.

FWIW,
Paul

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »
I've had the Abbeys for about a year now and am still very happy with them. I am using them with three of the GR Research/Rythmik Audio sealed servo subs.

As Paul mentioned, they do a lot of things very well. They don't image quite as well as some speakers but they are no slouch either. I have made some updates since Paul last heard the system and the sound stage has become a bit more expansive and extends well outside of the speakers with some recordings. They do have exceptional dynamics, tone and clarity. I wrote them up for Enjoy the Music.com last year, you can read my thoughts here if you like. As a follow up to that, they are not as power hungry as I wrote. I am currently using a pair of Cyber 211 amps to drive them, all 16 watts, and the combination is very nice. Still, when fed some power they will really jump. :)

Mike

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:52:25 AM »
"Then we have the bass, or lack thereof. Even though a 12-inch woofer is used the Abbey does not play low. The response drops off quickly below 60Hz, requiring the use of one or more sub woofers. "

A subwoofer seems almost mandatory.

Is it true that Dr Geddes is not a believer in electronics? In fact, he use a Sony CD player and Pioneer receiver.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »
A subwoofer seems almost mandatory.

Is it true that Dr Geddes is not a believer in electronics? In fact, he use a Sony CD player and Pioneer receiver.

Yep, subs are mandatory, at least if one wants bass. And yes, Dr. Geddes uses standard issue consumer components. He has acknowledged a difference with higher end gear but I don't believe he finds the improvements significant enough to justify the costs. We differ in that area. :)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:00:03 AM »
........ I don't believe he finds the improvements significant enough to justify the costs. We differ in that area. :)

There are plenty of people who don't think any high end audio equipment is worth what we pay for it. But then again, none of those people would be on this site either.  [-(

BTW, this phenomenon is not limited to audio equipment, but is the same in any other type of thing that offers high performance specialty items, like cars,  cameras golf clubs etc. Eventually then price/performance curves become asymptotic and there are very few people who are willing to participate at the part of the curve. (Just us loonies  ;) )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

bozack

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 03:46:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Short of driving to Mr. Geddes home theater in Detroit,anyone know where I can audition in the NYC and the surrounding area?
Also,Mgalusa, do you have any experience playing S.E.T amps with these speakers i.e. 300B?
 Thanks

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
Irving (Bud) Fried was also very much a "speaker guy".  I visited his office about 1980.  His "sound room" was a plaster box with the front wall consisting of plate glass windows.  The room was full of various Fried speakers, audio magazines, and in the corner a cheap Thorens turntable on a card table with an Onkyo receiver below (on another pile of magazines).  He was such a character!   :thumb:

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 09:25:09 AM »
Also,Mgalusa, do you have any experience playing S.E.T amps with these speakers i.e. 300B?

I am driving them with Cyber 211 SET, 16WPC and I like them very much that way, however I also like them with my PP amp, a McIntosh 275. I did drive them with a small 2A3 (Tektron) a couple of weeks ago when a friend sent his in for a checkup. It sounded better than I expected given the very low power.

The Abbey is quite sensitive at 96dB but it has a fairly complex crossover and I have heard this can suck the life out of some SET amps. So far my experiments with SET and the Abbey have been very positive.

mike

bozack

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
Thanks  for the response Mike.
 Did you buy the speakers sight unseen or did you audition?

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:57:48 PM »
I'm driving my Abbeys with Atma-Sphere M60 MKIII.1's which are sort of a bridged SET topology and the combo sounds terrific.  Certainly no problem driving them at all with maybe 30 honest watts or so.  I visited with Earl at his home and it was definitely worth the trip, just to hear the big Summas and his multi-sub system at it's best in his own theater.  He also gave a ton of great advice on setup, subs, etc. while I was there.

Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:16:54 PM »
Did you buy the speakers sight unseen or did you audition?

I bought the kits purely on the few reviews of the Summa and the theory behind them. When I signed up for the kit purchase they were still in the design phase... Bought them on the assumption that Earl's smaller version would be as good as he said it would. It is and I'm delighted with them. That said, if you can find some way to hear them first that would be best. You might email Earl and see if he knows of anyone in your area that would be willing to have you over. He asked me if I was and I'm guessing he has asked others as well.

mike

bozack

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:04:29 AM »
Sounds like a good idea...Thanks to you and to all who responded.