Author Topic: Sub/sat recommendations  (Read 4169 times)

canyoneagle

Sub/sat recommendations
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:30:53 AM »
Hi guys/gals.  I posted this over on AC and figured a parallel post here would be a good thing.
I'd like some input on sub/sats for a new home my wife and I are building.
This home will have a finished basement theater/audio room (YEAH!!!!)  :D :D :D.  With my main system happily residing downstairs, I'm looking to set up an unobtrusive (read: sub/sat) system on the main floor - or unobtrusive monitors that can be shelf-mounted.

I plan to drive the speakers with a spare Yamaha integrated amp and will probably use an iPod/iMod as a source.  I'm looking for something that can play all kinds of music without getting annoying or harsh, so ultimate transparency is not a requirement.  This system will be for day-to-day ambience and must have the ability to pump out the jams for parties.

I have heard some very good things about the Gallo A'Diva / TR-2 combo, and am frankly not aware of other systems out there.  Advice?

Thanks in advance!
Michael

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Sub/sat recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
How big is the room and how small/unobtrusive do the speakers need to be?  I have a pair of small monitors called Era Design 5's... They also make a Design 4 that are really small.  They were pretty easy to blend with a Focal sub I bought used...

A pair of Blueroom Minipods would be high on my list of possibilities also.  They have a matching sub.  SQ-wise I'd prefer these to the Gallo's I've heard... but it's preference, not quality.  They're both good setups.  Check 'em out here: http://www.podspeakers.com/Products/Minipod.aspx You can probably find them used too... and possibly cheap.
The ACI's that Bryan recommended at AC are likely great choices too.

Congrats on the new build.  I hope it's everything you're hoping it will be.  Finishing a basement or even just the soundroom by your own standards can be fun but costly and time consuming to get it done right.  One thing I wish I'd done when building our house is making them upgrade the HVAC systems to the Lennox high-end stuff.  They have variable speed motors that are much quieter and save energy.  They also keep your house at a more consistent temp.  It would've been a 'custom request' for us... but I'd have paid a few grand for it... Live an learn.  Feel free to PM if you want basement advice. ;)

TTYL,
Carl
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:59:05 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

canyoneagle

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »
Thanks, Carl!
The basement room will be 13'6 by 16' with an 8' ceiling, and I plan to fully treat it (corner bass traps, panels on all walls/ceiling, etc)  Pretty exciting to finally have an adequate space.

I've seen those pods before but never knew how they sound.  Very cool design!
Thanks for the link!

Michael

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 07:10:57 PM »
Michael,
Congratulations on your decision to build a house - and the accompanying music space. That's a nice size.

canyoneagle

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 08:33:15 PM »
Hi Rich,
Yes, this is very exciting for us.
The neighborhood is one of these "new urban" developments, which is essentially a master-planned community that promotes higher density housing with open space, and walkable ammenities.

For us, this is an investment, as we will make our off-grid move in perhaps 4-5 years (a bit longer than once anticipated, hence the decision to stick around and build).

I've been stirring the pot over on AC and it seems we have a small but enthusiastic group forming in the Salt Lake/Wasatch Front area.  That, plus the presence of some incredible audio companies (Wilson, Zu, Audiokinesis, Emerald Audio Physics, Red Dragon, more) makes for a very promising audio scene.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »
Sorry Michael, somehow I missed your post until tonight.

The crib sounds great. Sounds like you will meet a lot of new friends there and enjoy a special comfort and community. I hope it turns out to be everything you are anticipating and more.  It's a great time to build, builders want sales, banks want loans, rates are down, timing couldn't be better.