Author Topic: Legacy Focus  (Read 6403 times)

canyoneagle

Legacy Focus
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:54:13 AM »
rich,
These recent discussions have renewed my curiosity about Legacy's.  Some quick research has reminded me of their incredible efficiency.  I am now trying to arrange a demo in my area so I can see how my RWA Sig 30 drives them (Focus and/or Classic III).
If the combo works, they may be the ticket for me, especially considering the Focus model can be found on A'gon for under $3k!

Gotta love the nervosa!!!!!! :rofl:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:55:55 AM by canyoneagle »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Legacy Focus
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Yup, they are a great speaker - got me WAY down the road from a dead start, they make everything sound good. There is a high limit to the resolution capabilities, but it is there, which is the only reason I am looking again. But it is still very detailed and extremely musical. Literally every kind of music sounds natural, exciting and satisfying on them. The efficiency is a great benefit, allowing lower powered tube amps to work well, but in the Focus case, the impedance curve still prefers (demands) an amp with current on tap. I used a 60W integrated tube amp for a year in bliss. Then I got a Madonna dance CD for Christmas and realized what the Focus were capable of when powered up right. Not using that part of focus personality is a big waste, that's their forte. So, even though they really allow a tube amp to shine in the best ways, I think they are really intended for SS amps. A good sounding 200W tube amp is a major price mismatch to the Focus which is a rather low priced high end full ranger. So I think SS 200W+ is really the right way to go. But I still love mine with stout 100W tubes, Madonna and all. :)

When I emailed the impedance curve to Vinnie, he recommended the 70.2 to be most appropriate. A particular dip at 70Hz is 1.9 phms at almost 60 degrees of phase, so that will chew up a 30W amp. But if it clips gracefully, you may never know it. My favorite amp on the Focus is the 10W Altmann BYOB battery powered "integrated." It has plemty of bass and good SPL for normal listening. Clipping is noisy but not harmful, so I love that combo. Not sure how the tripath chips would cope. Worth a try on an audition. The focus makes most amps sound good, although the differences are easily noticed.  They like a big room to eat up all that bass, and they also like to be at least 4 feet from the front wall. But they will up a large space effortlessly, easy to listen and enjoy even from 30 feet away. They play very nicely at super low volumes too, for late night sessions.

Mine may be for sale at some point in the next few months if I find a suitable replacement that is at least as good and well rounded. But mine are in near perfect condition, 1st owner, 4 spare tweeters (Japanese Foster planar ribbons - no longer made) and rosewood finish so I hope to get a little more. The popularity of Focus over the years makes them somewhat of a commodity, and the new HD model has already lowered the 2020 prices accordingly, so good time to buy and the prices are consistent over time. I see a few Focus', not as many 2020s, and a lot of HDs (which need 300+ hours of break in so lots of trading going on)... but I think the upgrade to 2020 is worth the extra bucks. It is amazing how many people own them or have owned them with fond memories. Service is very good also. Being in the Legacy family is very easy and enjoyable.

I have never heard any other Legacy models. I hope to this summer when I visit Rock Dreams dealer in NJ. They will have Whisper HD playing by then, I hope. The HD series use silver graphite drivers with all true ribbon tweeters so the resolution is supposed to be greatly increased with that same Legacy laid back ease of listening. That's  a tall order, so we shall see!!
Rich

canyoneagle

Legacy Focus
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:00:10 AM »
Rich,
Great info on your experience with the Focus's and your amp impressions.  Your characterization of their "laid back" quality, etc. seems to fit the bill for what I'm after.  What is the "2020" version, and how does one tell what era a given model is from?

High-powered SS is a route I've taken before, but is not an option for me long-term - we're building an off-grid home and simplicity is the operative word.
I frankly thought we were going to have to give up having good-quality music reproduction in our home until I came across Vinnie's amps!

The Legacy's really intrigue me, and the guys at the factory are checking with an owner in my area to see if he can host a listening.
Otherwise, Duke (from Audiokinesis) has offered to drive down from Idaho to give me an in-home demo of his Jazz Modules, which also might fir the bill for my needs.

It seems that there are sooooooo many great speakers out there these days.

My other option (don't kill me) for our off-grid home is to go with a passive sub/sat or similar (monitors, etc) un-obtrusive format.
At the moment, floorstanders seem to be the route we will go (they are also the most efficient), but we are open to whatever might work for our needs.

One thing's for sure - I need to sit tight with the Max's for a little while or my wife will have my hide!!!!

Anywhoo, here's "Michael's list of speakers I'd like to hear in my system"........

- Legacy Focus and/or Sig III
- Audiokinesis Jazz Module
- Nomad Ronin
- Gallo Ref 3.1
- Devore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8
- Living Voice Auditorium series
- Naim Allae

Some of these are right on the margin of efficiency - 89-90B - but have been reported as working well with the Signature 30.2.

The Legacy's still have a certain appeal.  I miss the laid-back sound of my old Cantons.

The quest will continue....

Warmly,
Michael

Offline richidoo

Re: Legacy Focus
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:56:03 AM »
2020 version has the Foster ribbon tweeter, I can't remember what other changes were made for that upgrade. Most agree it is a significant improvement over the standard Focus. You could ask Jeff at Legacy, he is very helpful.

I have been learning to appreciate the clarity and control of SS more than just hearing the obvious lack of tube air. Lots to learn in this hobby.

The Sigs may have a more benign impedance curve than the Focus, with the same high efficiency and Legacy design elements and house sound - same drivers too. The Sig3 review with the VAC amp is what brought me to Legacy in the first place. Dealer had Focus, not Sig in stock, so that's how I got 'em.

You have some great options there. By the time you hear them all and decide, you're wife will be ready for something new too. ;) That sure is nice of Duke to drive down. That wil be fun

opnly bafld

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
Michael,
The first Focus speakers were a 4 way with 3- 12" woofers/2- 7" kevlar midbasses/ 1- 1.25" soft dome (green/yellow)/ 1-3.5" supertweeter. X-Os at 180/2.8k/12k
I would stay away from these, unless you find them super cheap.

The next gen. (my favorite) has a black soft dome with x-o at 180/2.2k/12k, still a 4 way.

The 20/20 changed to a 5 way with 2- 12" woofers/ 1- 12" "transition" driver/ 2- 5" kevlar midranges/ 1- 1.25" soft tweeter/ 1- 4" supertweeter. X-Os at 80/300/2.8k/8k

IMO they need good current to sound their best.

Lin
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:23:28 AM by opnly bafld »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »
Rich's speakers produced really good quality bass on the MC402 McIntosh amp. (400x2)  I didn't think the bass was nearly as good on the tube amps.  So, even though they're efficient, I'd still say they could use current.  You've still got 3 12" woofers per side to drive...
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

opnly bafld

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 05:59:17 AM »
Well, I hope I like them longterm because even though I got a really good deal they will have to be the last speaker I buy for a long time (I still have my Timepiece Minis and diy open baffles :D ).

http://legacyaudio.com/index.php?http://tdavlinconsulting.com/legacyaudio/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=79&Itemid=211

Funny how it worked out, I bought them from an eastcoast dealer, but they did not have them yet, so they talked with Bill D. and I'm saving shipping charges by picking them up and I get a tour of the facilities in Springfield, IL (80 miles from me).

Lin    :drool: or   :(  time will tell.  :mrgreen:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 07:26:16 AM »
Congrats Lin!!! So you got the HD? Awesome!  I plan to audition those at Rockdreams in August. 

With the Ushers in place, my Focus 2020s are now for sale, but no ads up yet.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 07:40:58 AM »
I need to invite myself over to listen to those Lin - They look really interesting and I want to hear the HF drivers they're using.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

opnly bafld

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 02:51:14 PM »
I need to invite myself over to listen to those Lin - They look really interesting and I want to hear the HF drivers they're using.

Bryan

You are welcome to come up Bryan, but you might also want to think about making an appointment with Legacy since they are closer and you can hear their other speakers.
I remember hearing the dipole bass of the Whisper for the first time during a visit many years ago.  :shock:

Lin

PS  Thanks Bryan for using "they're" instead of "there" or "their".  :clap:

opnly bafld

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »
The Focus have landed!   :mrgreen:
Now the waiting begins for break in (or me getting used to them depending on your viewpoint  :lol: ).
The speakers should come more into Focus with some time.  :roll:

The man himself took the time, even though he was running late for a meeting, to explain his design process on the Focus of starting with the midrange drivers ("the heart and soul") and building on them, as well as other aspects of the design.  8)

Lin

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »
Congratulations Lin! Can't wait to hear all about them.

Sad day for me, I finally, begrudgingly, listed my 2020s for sale...
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1220304606