Author Topic: Redbook CD players  (Read 12925 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Redbook CD players
« on: January 19, 2007, 03:55:18 PM »
i bought a used Audio Aero Prima 24/192 tube CD Player for $850.00 from a guy on Audiogon and i was really suprised at how good this player sounds in my two channel rig.i know Redbook is a Dinosaur but some of my favorite music is available only on this older medium and i dont want to taylor what i listen to based on what is available on SACD. who else out there still listens to Redbook CDs and what players are you using ? thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

miklorsmith

No Way!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 06:29:08 PM »
I don't think redbook is a dinosaur, it just needed some smarter folks to decode the solution.  I'm going Modwright Music Hall or Vinnie modded SB3 to a TacT 2.2XP to a Lessloss 2004 DAC.

The Lessloss is awesome.  Freakin' awesome.

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
Redbook CD players
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:28:38 AM »
It would be neat to compare your Lessloss DAC to an I2S DAC.  Even slaving the transport you are still bound by the SPDIF processing.  I wonder if serial processing like I2S or a true USB DAC are inherently better.  I had Steve Nugent mod my DAC for I2S to USB.  Much of the advantage comes from the DSP in the PC end.  I also use the same DAC with SPDIF in from SB2.  The difference is not that much.  I would like to compare yours with mine some day.  BTW, I also tried the NOS Paradisea DAC.  It was smooth and musical but with less precision.
I am a nut.

arthurs

Redbook CD players
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:34:18 PM »
I got out of the SACD and DVD-A business a couple years ago and only listen to redbook.  I have a Resolution Audio Opus21 that was modded by Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound....a bad ass little player and a keeper.  There are a lot of opinions on digital playback, but I still think redbook can be done very well with the right player..as it sounds you have found in the Prima.. =D>

I'm actually going backwards as opposed to most as I have a vinyl rig being built for me as we speak and that's my next stop...

rosconey

Redbook CD players
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 05:45:27 AM »
still use my shengya s10-
works even better with my candella than it did the tempest-

been thinking about trying something else-just not sure what way to go,a better cdp,hard drive,and what type of format if i did go hd-

so more than likely i wont do a thing till the shengya dies-

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Redbook CD players
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 06:14:08 AM »
I must be a dino too as I only listen to RedBook - never had an SACD or DVD-A - hate format wars and won't support them.  Heck, a lot of what I like never made it from vinyl to Redbook CD!

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
Redbook CD players
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 06:41:28 PM »
Dang, I need more dough to try out the latest and greatest on the DAC field.  I think I just have one SuperCD and nothing else.  Therefore, I am solidly in midfield in terms of Redbook.  For what it seems to me the key to decent playback comes to great algorythms to read the info on the already almost 25 years old silver platter and some good ears.  

Even though my present redbook set up is not bad, 47 Labs Shigaraki transport and DAC, these new DAC such as Altmann and Lessloss DAC got my mouth drooling.  But then I wonder whether am I really missing on what real Redbook could sound like.  

It seems to me that DACs make all the difference, but, I am afraid to continue hunting for what elusive nth in audiosound.  Guess I got some bad Audionervosa aguda.   :shock:

WEEZ

Redbook CD players
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:24:55 PM »
:shock: somehow I missed this thread..keep reading all the squeezebox stuff.. :?

Anyway, I use a CEC TL-51XR one box belt drive player. It has high resolution, but doesn't suffer from digititis. If you read the review at Positive Feedback a few issues ago..it sums it up better than I can.

WEEZ

arthurs

Redbook CD players
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:36:41 PM »
The CEC is a nice player for sure WEEZ

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Redbook CD players
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 03:45:20 PM »
Quote from: "arthurs"
I got out of the SACD and DVD-A business a couple years ago and only listen to redbook.  I have a Resolution Audio Opus21 that was modded by Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound....a bad ass little player and a keeper.  There are a lot of opinions on digital playback, but I still think redbook can be done very well with the right player..as it sounds you have found in the Prima.. =D>

I'm actually going backwards as opposed to most as I have a vinyl rig being built for me as we speak and that's my next stop...
I just got the same Opus 21 player with Steve's mods.  I took it in partial trade against my Wadia thinking I'd resell it since I already have the full tilt Bolder SB2 setup.  I was pretty shocked at how good it was.  I tried the dac only from the Bolder, using it as a preamp and was pretty impressed.  I need to listen to this some more for sure.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra