Author Topic: Rega Apollo in the house  (Read 18703 times)

eric the red

Rega Apollo in the house
« on: February 21, 2007, 09:28:20 PM »
If you still think that digital in general sucks like I do, audition an Apollo. Am a big Rega fan and have owned a Jupiter for a few years, but one day after the Apollo arrived the Jupiter was on the Agone sales block (please buy it!). Has Rega re-invented the wheel? Doubt it but this is one great cdp and I've had many cdps. Impressive.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 03:42:07 AM »
What specifically?  Do tell...

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:42:54 AM »
I'm curious also. This new line from Rega has garnered rave reviews and is supposed to be a huge step up from their previous units.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

WEEZ

Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:56:50 PM »
C'mon..let's hear about that Apollo :)

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

It's been over a week :!:  :?:  :!:

WEEZ

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 08:00:47 PM »
Yes, someone declared that some kind of reading optimization circuit, indigenous to REGA allowed its new CDPs to go into uncharted territory.  Still, I am not clear how it would be different than with a PC based ripping system (if it got to do with reading optimization and reading error diminution, then, CD drivers can do a good job.)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:31:38 AM »
Eric - you still there buddy?  Or are you too enamored with all the Sports Bar drama over on AC?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 07:44:48 AM »
My expectation is the Best a CDP can hope for would be to match an optimized hard drive setup.  Still, I'd love to hear about this unit.

shep

Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 08:32:27 AM »
Me too! I am getting a bit fed up with my Marantz and getting that awful itch.

WEEZ

Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 01:03:17 PM »
Sam Tellig has a piece in the new Stereophile about the Brio 3, the Apollo, and the Saturn. (or course, Sam likes everything he writes about, so.....)...I'd rather hear from Eric.

WEEZ

eric the red

Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 09:49:10 PM »
Whoops-Wolfy had to remind me that I needed to respond here... First of all, I am a Rega junkie from what I've heard in the Rega line. Have owned TWO Planet 2000s at various times, TWO Jupiters (my all time favorite cdp ever until now) and also own a Planar 2 for LP play back. I stupidly sold my first Jupiter, and after a year without one, bought another. Jupiters at the average $650.00 used price are a stupid good deal BTW...Rega to me is concerned with what I am interested in; they concentrate on  two channel music that I can listen to through their gear. I've had THREE count'em Jolidas come through here with NOS tubes, A Rotel 991, YBAs Denons Tjoeb 99 Philips SACD 1000 Pioneer AX-10 (a $6000.00cdp) etc etc etc all in search of a way to tame the digital sound which I hate and also of which I own 600+ cds (PERFECT ANNOYING AFTER A FEW HOURS SOUND FOREVER). The Tjoeb 99 was flabby-awful sounding muck, the 991 was just an average cdp with nice build quality, the SACD 1000 of course crapped out after a month, the YBA was average average sounding, the Pioneer? Over-priced over-built bright sound (hey they were on close-out for $995.00... I WANTED to like the Jolidas but with good NOS tubes it sounded wierd (no offense but it just didn't do much for me).  So anyway I kept reading about how with the Apollo, that Rega had reinvented the cd wheel after 3 years and kept reading the glowing reviews. Meanwhile my Jupiter had been happily spinning my cds for the past year with not a thought about ever upgrading.
Enter the $785.00 preowned two week old Apollo that popped up on Agone one day that I grabbed. Compared the Apollo directly with my Jupiter for a week and the Jupiter is now gone. The Apollo is the real deal trust me.  If you want a cdp that doesn't annoy the hell out of you, this is it. It's one of those components (like my 5 year old Meadowlark Kestrel Hot Rods OR the Norh Prism 6.9 speakers) that just plays music. Rega is one of those companies that deserve every positive accolade that is heaped on them because their gear just plays music. One of those pieces of gear that somehow somewhere the manufacturer got right. My last cdp player period (unless I find a screaming deal on a Saturn :beer: )

lonewolfny42

Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 10:03:34 PM »
Thanks.... :D

Speaking of the Saturn....a review........and one on Audiogon...... 8)

shep

Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 02:32:51 AM »
There's a Saturn on sale at AudioGon for 600$. Says "new". Fishy price. I mailed him for details. Hmmm

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 10:46:16 AM »
I tried yesterday to buy a new Rega Apollo,first from a local brick and mortar establishment who was out of stock and then on the internet. i called  Music Direct and they told me that they were out of stock since January. i contacted the guy on Audiogon with the Black Rega Saturn for sale and i told him that i will buy it from him today if i am still covered by the original Rega warranty.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »
I just pulled the trigger and ordered a brand new Rega Apollo from my local brick and mortar Audio dealer. the guy in New York on Agon who was selling the Saturn for $1850.00 turned out to be a dealer who was selling his demo unit. after i asked him to give me the warranty he got cold feet.i think that Rega dealers are only allowed to sell in thier own area and he didnt want to give a warranty to someone that he was not supposed to be selling it to.i may have to wait a few weeks but i would rather have a warranty and the piece of mind that comes with it. i can picture myself needing a repair or replacement for it and being left holding the bag otherwise :wink: thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

eric the red

Rega Apollo in the house
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 11:11:04 PM »
A bit of humor here regarding the seller of the Apollo I now own (he had it for two weeks before I bought it from him). :lol:  He emailed me today and told me that he had just bought a Cary tubed cdp and that it was OK but was thinking of buying a used Jupiter instead and asked me how I liked the Apollo compared to the Jupiter and said he was also thinking about just buying ANOTHER Apollo. This after telling me when I bought the Apollo from him that I would like it better than the Jupiter. What a whacked-out hobby... :D Let us know how you like the cdp Bunky.