Author Topic: Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier  (Read 11676 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier
« on: November 03, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »

http://www.parasound.com/hint.php
http://www.cnet.com/news/in-the-house-the-unusually-usefully-featured-parasound-halo-integrated-amplifier/
http://hometheaterreview.com/parasound-halo-integrated-21-channel-amplifier-reviewed/
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0915/Parasound_Halo_Integrated_DAC_Review.htm (dead link?)

I read about this in Stereophile review this month. It looks pretty nice. Lots of features like remote control, MM/MC phono amp, ESS USB DAC, DSD playback, adjustable sub crossover, 1 XLR in, 5 RCA ins, high power discreet headphone amp, attractive appearance, robust output power, can handle 2ohm dips in music for us Legacy fans ;)  John Curl design, Parasound quality and support, decent price $2500 considering all the features.

What is the Parasound Halo house sound? I've always read that it is neutralish toward mellow. Lots of class A bias. The few times I've heard JC1 I liked it, though it didn't bop me on the head like more forward and bewitching Audio Research tubes or hyperdetailed class D, etc. But I'm getting tired of the hyper detailed audiophile listening style, I'm looking for more musical, easier to listen, without losing the musical thrill.

With 90dB speakers this should be a nice rig. What do you think?

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Re: Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:53:46 AM »
It looks good. I like the xlr and rca pre outs.  :thumb:. It has a soft start too which is means it will last. It seems a little light on caps though. Definitely worth 2500 bucks though.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:04:09 PM »
   It could be the one Rihidoo. Very easy listening, musical is the word.
   Not warm but not bright I would say. Bass is outstanding. Less cabling, smaller space required.
   Give it a try.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
There is something to be said for a single box solution.

This will cost less than it would cost to buy just the purple wires it would take to connect a DAC, TT/outboard phone stage and a power amp to a separate line stage pre.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:24:10 PM »
i wonder how much Class A power it has?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »
AFAIK, Parasound makes great stuff and an all in one situation is a great idea. I was toying with the idea of the Devialet 200 all in one, but couldn't pull the trigger for a number of reasons.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »

I was wondering that too. You really need to measure the bias current to calculate it exactly. Parasound says the 'idling power' is 70W. Take off 10W for the ancilliaries, take off 80% loss to heat, and that leaves about 10-12W to the speakers. That's about the size of the heatsinks, too.

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 01:43:57 PM »
I love my Parasound amp... yow it gets hot!!!

Very musical, warm sound.. Not overly detailed.. but mines the older 1500A
Its cool ndude.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
There is something to be said for a single box solution.
Yeah a few good benefits. Looks nice, simple, less wires to look at and finance.

This will cost less than it would cost to buy just the purple wires it would take to connect a DAC, TT/outboard phone stage and a power amp to a separate line stage pre.  :roll:

Truedat... new version is pricier and not even purple anymore!

My system is too detailed now so I haven't been using the purples (JPS SuperConductor3.) I found a pro audio installation cable $0.22/foot that I really like. I'm afraid to do a direct comparison :shock: Might kill my JPS fanboy cred.

Offline Werd

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »

I was wondering that too. You really need to measure the bias current to calculate it exactly. Parasound says the 'idling power' is 70W. Take off 10W for the ancilliaries, take off 80% loss to heat, and that leaves about 10-12W to the speakers. That's about the size of the heatsinks, too.

It's spec'd as Class A A/B with high bias. So the specs are making a point of the Class A output. Which is cool. I also think integrateds have great potential to be good Pre amps because of the larger power supply. That Parasound gives you a pre out and amp in. That is excellent.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 03:44:45 PM »
The only thing that irks me about gear these days from companies like this including Bryston is the use of nickel plated copper. Like why? I can see the XLRs are nickel plated and the IEC is nickel plated. Dollars to donuts if you look at the wire off the transformer it is likely nickel plated but hopefully not. If this integrated sounds bright but sort of dry that is why. I think you can get that IEC out of there though. Ditch the fuse that will be nickel plated for sure. None of that is a deal breaker though it is still nice.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
Based on everything else I've heard from them I would have to guess it sounds awesome.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline KLH007

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 11:45:15 PM »
I see the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 as a strong alternative to the parasound.

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »
Hey Rich
No personal experience with Parasound but they are highly regarded at the Polk forum.
Because I am The Pumpkinking

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, helps to know your opinions.

Lyngdorf looks pretty cool. Thanks KLH!