Author Topic: Ideal Frequency Response  (Read 5601 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Ideal Frequency Response
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »

http://www.bksv.com/doc/17-197.pdf

The article suggests a FR that is universally preferred. This is pretty close to how my diy speakers measure after fine tuning them by ear.

Sound engineers setup their monitors with this curve to minimize fatigue from long mixing sessions.

Apparently Harman Kardon also specified a "preferred curve" but i can't find details other than some references to it on the web. It is supposedly similar to this B&K EQ, with boosted lows and attenuated highs.

Highest to lowest is 6dB range.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Ideal Frequency Response
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
I believe HK's preferred curve is a 10dB slope.

I'd love to see one of these tests done with well designed, modern equipment and speakers such as a pair of REVEL Salon 2's.  Then use different DSP's to determine which slopes, if any would be preferred.  The speakers used back in the day were these tests were done had crude crossovers, poor off axis response, higher distortion, etc...so it would be interesting to see if those results would still stand. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Ideal Frequency Response
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
I usually like "flat" top end when listening through a Tact preamp.  But I do like a few extra pounds on the bottom.

But you are right, parts quality and design understanding have come a long way since then.