Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 25136 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 05:55:50 PM »
Thanks Liz.

What about JPlay, does it do a lot of that streamlining of the PC? But not free.

I'm liking the idea of linux more and more. It can't be THAT hard? Cheap enough to try and throw away if I'm too old for it.  :-P

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 07:20:47 PM »
Thanks Liz.

What about JPlay, does it do a lot of that streamlining of the PC? But not free.

I'm liking the idea of Linux more and more. It can't be THAT hard? Cheap enough to try and throw away if I'm too old for it.  :-P

I have tried Linux and there is only one player out there that I would suggest called HQ Player desktop yet it is costly.

I went over to another audiophile club members home tonight who I have mentored about computer audio. He uses Jplay yet he has so many problems with it. We ran an old version of fildelizer and we could clearly hear the organ and vocals better in Julsang on Cantate domino (proprius).

I upgraded his fidelizer yet we had to call it a night.  He uses an older version of Jriver because jplay is not compatible with JRMC 20.

Also I noticed that Jplay was setup to use ASIO which is old and back from the windows xp days.

Running fidelizer, I was able to set JRMC to use WASAPI and connect to his external dac.

Liz

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 07:21:46 PM »
Not computer savvy so how would you do this ?

"Disable system Restore and also disable the swap file. Disable indexing, write caching and prefecth/superfecth."

I am apprehensive about telling someone who does not what what they do in fear of being liable.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »
Thanks for the additional info Liz

Evan You can google those for what they are and how to shut off. They are basically windows background functions for speed and reliability. You don't need them when playing tunes, a very simple task. The reduced activity benefits SQ. But if you use the PC for other tasks you may not want to disable them. If kids touch it leave restore on. Write down what you do so it's easy to undo.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 08:30:27 PM »
If kids touch it leave restore on.

That brings back bad memories.  :roll:

Good advice.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
Just installed Windows 10 on my Dell laptop which I use as a music server and I can tell you there is a sonic improvement. PFM.  :?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 07:44:50 AM »
Windows 10 is great. I use VLC media player. It's free and has a wealth of features. I cannot imagine how JPlay or anything else could be any "better" in terms of what can actually be heard, although I am tempted to download/install the trial to listen.
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 07:53:25 AM »
Windows 10 is great. I use VLC media player. It's free and has a wealth of features. I cannot imagine how JPlay or anything else could be any "better" in terms of what can actually be heard, although I am tempted to download/install the trial to listen.

Jplay makes a big improvement.  You can even hear differences between the different modes
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »
Jplay sucks, use fidelizer!

Jplay makes a big improvement.  You can even hear differences between the different modes

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 04:30:46 PM »
Don't listen to the Liz, Fidelizer blows  :rofl:

I had a dialog with the developers of both apps and JPLay does more streaming and shuts down more services than Fidelizer
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:34:42 PM by jimbones »