Author Topic: first Graphene audio speaker  (Read 3319 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
first Graphene audio speaker
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: first Graphene audio speaker
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
  Interesting . What surprised me the most was not one measurement provided.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »
Well, the graphene would replace mylar.  Notice they didn't compare the Graphene driver to a Stax driver.  THAT would be an interesting comparison.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
Hey bobrex! =)

Graphene is a sheet of carbon only one molecule thick! So it has virtually no mass, but relatively high strength. I don't think it is strong enough to make a big diaphragm, yet. But it would sound fast  8)

I think the silicon grid for the AC signal is something new, instead of metal, etc.

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
Hey Rich

Take a better look at the article.  The membrane is multi-layered, and is 30nm (which I'm reading as nanometers) thick.  That's what, about a third of a micron?  While that is incredibly thin, it's definitely over a molecule.  So more than likely a larger panel is possible.

So they sound better than a 15 buck earbud!  They didn't set the goal too high, did they? 

Yes, this does fall into the "it's a miracle that it works" category, and I'm not trying to denigrate the accomplishment, let's see how it shakes out.

Silicon and SiO2 are standard semiconductor materials - the base of almost all ICs.  Using it for small stators is interesting.