Author Topic: Speakers you want/need to hear  (Read 31528 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Speakers you want/need to hear
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:03:03 AM »
There has been some press and forum ravings about several different speakers this past year. My personal list is:

- any of the Magico's
- Revel Studio 2 or Salon 2
- KEF Reference 207/2
- any of the Tidal speakers
- Coincident Pure Reference
- YG Acoustics

What do you want to hear?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:07:56 PM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Speakers you want/need to hear
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »
   Gedlee
   Salk
   JBL
   Tannoy
   Revel

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:32:30 AM »
Legacy Focus SE
Legacy Whisper XD
Musical Affairs
Ocellia
Lenehan ML1
North Creek Prometheus
DeVore Silverback
Wilson Alexandria or Maxx
Coincident Pure Reference
Troels Gravesen DTQWT-12
Humble Homemade Soup

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »
my bicycle buying is nixing the return trip to Vegas next month... there were a couple speakers I wanted to hear at CES...

in a general wish list scenario, I really want to hear the big Tannoys.  I think I've only ever heard one of the small ones and that was years and years ago.  I've always been curious...... I may hate them, I may love them.  But I'll never know until I hear them... they are stupid expensive for the really big ones, though....  I'd also like to hear the new Kef stuff...

The Coincident speakers are awesome.  I loved them the last couple times I've heard them... came really close to picking up the line.  If I had more room here, I'd own a pair or two of them.  One of the best speakers I heard at CES last year bar none...  very tube friendly as well..... I'd like to have a pair of the Von Schweikert VR-33 or VR-35 here to try out...  but there's only so many rooms in my place and I've finally got it scaled back to 1-2 sets of speakers per setup in most rooms for the first time in years...

Magicos are not for me.  Same with Revel.  The YG Acoustics stuff is too expensive for what you get.. imho, ymmv, blah blah blah etc. etc. etc. :)
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »
Vivid audio B1
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:41:47 AM »
Legacy Focus SE
Legacy Whisper XD

It may be a different story in a real room with different gear... but the last two shows I've been to, the Legacy stuff was one of the worst experiences I've ever had at an audio show.... run from the room screaming in agony/nails on a chalkboard awful...  I tried to go back a couple times because I thought there was no way it was as bad as I thought.... it was..... imho, ymmv, etc. etc. etc. :)
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Regg

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:45:05 AM »
Some have already been mentioned, but I would also like to hear Daedalus, and still haven't heard the Vandersteen 7s. I don't get out that much. :?

I did get to hear the Zu Soul Superflys the other day though. :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:46:44 AM by Regg »

Bigfish8

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »
The Usher Dancer Mini II's that I now own are physically the right size speakers for my room.  This being the case I really would love to hear the Acoustic Zen Crescendos that Bill Baker is selling.  The reviews of the speakers that I have read lead me to believe they deliver a full range of sound and are slightly on the warm side of neutral.  I just wonder if I can control the 20 hz bass in my room! 

Oh, to dream!

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:40:41 PM »
The Usher Dancer Mini II's that I now own are physically the right size speakers for my room.  This being the case I really would love to hear the Acoustic Zen Crescendos that Bill Baker is selling.  The reviews of the speakers that I have read lead me to believe they deliver a full range of sound and are slightly on the warm side of neutral.  I just wonder if I can control the 20 hz bass in my room! 

Oh, to dream!

Ken

Yes you can. The Berhinger EQ is the ticket for bass correction. Very impressive with bass management but NOT the rest of the spectrum. I heard a demo with it in then out. Again excellent results.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

opnly bafld

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 02:46:58 PM »
Legacy Focus SE
Legacy Whisper XD

It may be a different story in a real room with different gear... but the last two shows I've been to, the Legacy stuff was one of the worst experiences I've ever had at an audio show.... run from the room screaming in agony/nails on a chalkboard awful...  I tried to go back a couple times because I thought there was no way it was as bad as I thought.... it was..... imho, ymmv, etc. etc. etc. :)

I had the Focus HDs for a year and was very pleased with them. I probably should have kept them but decided to reduce the amount of money tied up in equipment (that didn't last long  :duh ).

Associated kit: SAS Audio Labs 10A tube preamp
                     Monarchy Audio SE 160 tube/fet mono amps (factory hot rod version with 200w/ch 8ohms)
                     Can't recall the CD Player- nothing special

Lin

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
I wouldn't judge Legacy negatively based on a trade show, especially with the house brand electronics they must use in public. But Whisper XD did win best of show at CES, Shane, were you smoking crack?  :lol: Your experience will prevent me from buying without audition. I liked the 2020s, the new version has much better drivers, and I like Duddleston's design philosophies. So I want to hear Focus, with a good amp, source and wires, in a quiet room. 

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 06:56:14 AM »
I never cared too much for the Legacy speakers I've heard. They do have a pretty lively presentation and a somewhat looser bottom end than I am used to. Very much a "live" sound and not as nuanced as some. I would categorize them as a speaker for a real musician who is used to a stage/PA kind of sound, not for someone listening to soft jazz or acoustic rock in their livingroom with a glass of wine who wants a mellower presentation perhaps.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
Well said. I'm hoping the newer one is a little cleaner. But plenty other speakers to choose from if they're not what I'm expecting. Anyway this is just about listening right? I don't want to even think about buying commercial speakers until after a few more DIYs, if ever. Still fun to window shop.

mac5u

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
This is my first post here.  I found this site looking for reviews on the Eastern Electric products, specifically the Eastern Electric EL156 amps and DAC.  This thread caught my eye, partially because I made a number of mistakes in buying my second pair of speakers. 

It had been about 18 years since I last had purchased speakers.  When I decided I wanted another pair of speakers, I rushed into it, not really taking the time to audition as I should have.  I just got swept away and made a number of fundamental mistakes.  So, I am thinking about starting over again with the goal of two systems. 

Here’s my list; some of have been mentioned already.  Yes, it is a long one, but my plan is to audition as many different speaker types as possible.  I am in no hurry and I don't really know what I like, not having heard many speakers before. 

Thirty speakers seemed like a good number.  That would give me a large enough sample to really understand what I am looking for in a speaker.  And coincidentally, some day, I’d like to take a summer touring all the major league base ball parks and if I could arrange demos along the way, so much the better!

Well, the number of brands that intrigue me, either because of design ideas, reviews, user comments, or simply pure aesthetics actually is 31.  Since I live in the Charlotte metro area, I’d love to see MLB come to Charlotte…

Gershman Black Swan
JM Reynaud Offrandes Supreme V2
Avalon Acoustics Indra
Revolver Cygnis
Classic Audio T-1.4
Coincident Total Victory IV
Daedalus Audio Ulysses
Sanders Sound 10B
Ohm Walsh 5000
Blue Circle Audio BM2
Decware Extended Range Radial
Geddes