Author Topic: Cable plating question  (Read 24053 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Cable plating question
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »
So according to the table, Cardas connectors really are just jewelry, and the smart audiophile wants either a copper base with just gold or silver plating (no nickel), or pure silver.

Going further, I'm thinking a screw / compression connection to the connector would be superior to solder, since you really can't avoid getting low conductivity solder between the wire and the "cup".

For speaker cables the Cardas copper spade is the real deal. Especially if connected using cold fusion not solder.
    A mechanical connection if properly executed is desireable.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 08:49:13 AM »
I don't think you can draw that conclusion. The table that Pete put up simply shows the electrical conductivity of the various metal in response to a specific question.

In theory a difference in pure conductivity should not make a sonic difference as it is linear across all frequencies and would therefor affect all of the signal in the same way (although I suppose the even a linear lowering of the signal amplitude could end up obscuring small details.)

However we as audiophiles know that nothing is ever as simple as the pure theory would lead us to believe as there are always other factors in play.

This is kind os a long winded way of saying that each type of metal and plating can have a different sound to it and therefor none can really be called the "best" overall. Each one can have an advantage on matching different combinations of components in different systems. No component or system is perfect, so different materials will help (or hurt) in different situations.

As always, synergy, synergy, synergy.
It makes me wonder, how much of what we hear (as far as cables) is the sound of the metal vs the sound of mismatching various metals, Including the plating?

Basically the whole supply runs on heavily shielded aluminum into your fuse box (pretty sure anyways?) Then we have solid core copper to the outlet. The outlet could be aluminum or copper - plated somehow. From the outlet to system it varies (obviousily)

It almost makes me wonder if running aluminum right through might clear up any discourse. So it asks the question how far back is audibility of wiring material go. Would our systems sound different if we used copper from the transformer into one's house? IDK but i am inclined to say yes. To me it seems silly that PCs can effect sound and then stop at that and not look at wiring right from the Power generator plant.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
They used a lot of Al wiring in residential homes on LI in the fifties and sixties but went back to Cu because the Al wiring was causing too many electrical fires.  :shock:

No improvement to the sound of your system is worth burnish your house down..... at least IMO, although I'm sure there is somebody out there who would disagree with me.   :duh

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:17:21 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables