Author Topic: HAL DIY HiRez USB DAC for up to 32bit/384KHz file replay  (Read 3891 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
HAL DIY HiRez USB DAC for up to 32bit/384KHz file replay
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:57:43 AM »
Had fun building a DIY HiRez DAC to take to CAF2016 earlier this month.  It was used in the DCAudioDIY room with a Linux based music server.  Have attached the build document to look over.

This one uses the Amanero async USB to I2S Bus adaptor and a AK4490EQ DAC board from Ebay.  There is also an AK4495EQ board as well that I will be trying soon as a comparison.

The output stage opamp is socketed, so the AD827 dual opamp can be changed.  I have an LME49720 in it now, and will be trying Burson opamps soon.

Biggest part of this is the minimum phase DAC recostruction filter in use.  This has been used by many folks with the original Wolfson Micro WM874x series DAC's, and now others have started adding them, but not calling them minimum phase filters.   

This has been my preferred DAC filter method over the last 6 years. 

Hope folks find it interesting, and remember, this uses AC line voltage, so protect yourself and be careful.  Fuses are important.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: HAL DIY HiRez USB DAC for up to 32bit/384KHz file replay
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 10:28:40 AM »
Nice project!

It's amazing the technology you can buy for so little money now. And lots of room for DIY mods, if so inclined.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 01:32:07 PM »
Thanks!

Figured folks might like to try this with their PC's for HiRez music replay.

I got to finally try DXD files at the native rate with Foobar2000.   Works well with the HDTT downloads of the Brahms 3rd and 4th symphonies from RCA.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:05:18 AM »
Found an AK4495S DAC board with I2S Bus input on Ebay and it arrived yesterday.  Also has the socketed AD827, so will put in the other LME49720 opamp instead and possibly the Burson opamps.

Will be trying that with the Amanero USB to I2S Bus board and see what happens.  It supports the I2S Bus clocking format the Amanero uses, so should be fine.

This board also has DIP switches for filter selection between linear phase and minimum phase filter types.  Four filter selections in total.

This one uses different AC transformer voltages, so will see if the ones I already have will work.  If so, then all I have to do is swap the Amanero board. 

This one needs RCA connectors added for output, so will get out my chassis with the Cardas RCA's I got from Gary Dodd awhile back.  Nice steel chassis for shielding as well.