Poll

What would you prefer to see

Tube Preamp / Hybrid Class D Amplifier (Separates)
0 (0%)
Integrated Hybrid Class D Amplifier
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: August 13, 2017, 10:55:35 AM

Author Topic: POLL: Affordable Separates or Affordable Integrated Hybrid?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
POLL: Affordable Separates or Affordable Integrated Hybrid?
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »
Looking for opinions on what people may want in products these day. Even if your not in the market, please take a momentt to click.

Separates: This would consist of our Spirit II tube preamp and a new version of our Ibrido hybrid amplifier that utilizes a tube buffer input stage transformer coupled to the amplifier stage.

Integrated: With the popularity of integrateds, we have been working on a new design that combines our Spirit tube linestage with a new high end Class D amplifier.

The Integrated Hybrid amplifier would have transformer coupling between the preamp stage and amplifier section as well as a set of both single ended and balanced preamp outputs. (We would not use the tube fuffer stage in this design)
The amplifier provides a dynamic 170 watts into 8 ohms, 300 watts into 4 ohms and 500 watts into 2 ohms.

Affordablility: We want to keep these designs at real world pricing while still maintaining the sound quality Response Audio has been known for the past 20 years.

Any questions, please ask!

Any comments, please post them!
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: POLL: Affordable Separates or Affordable Integrated Hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
I've never had an integrated. After 30 years or so in audio, that would interest me the most. I think it's Mike that has a Devialet and the all in one box concept is very intriguing. What would you do as to internal shielding and what about the power supplies? I'm presuming you wouldn't use external power supplies due to the cost.
I'm also curious about a couple of things....what have your customers have been buying over the years? Did integrateds make up maybe 20-30% of sales or was it more? Or has the increased interest just been over the last few years?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »
Hi Nick,
 In the past I have not offered an integrated through Response Audio as it was always separates and specializing in preamps. However I have been running a Purity Audio Design integrated hybrid for about 5-6 years now and will probably never go back to separates in my personal system.
Power supply for the preamp would be internal and will still be the same preamp we use in the Spirit/Leanna preamp. The new Class D has the power supply built into the circuitry. It is basically two separate components built nto one chassis.
Design Engineer
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
Hi Nick,
 In the past I have not offered an integrated through Response Audio as it was always separates and specializing in preamps. However I have been running a Purity Audio Design integrated hybrid for about 5-6 years now and will probably never go back to separates in my personal system.
Power supply for the preamp would be internal and will still be the same preamp we use in the Spirit/Leanna preamp. The new Class D has the power supply built into the circuitry. It is basically two separate components built nto one chassis.

Hey Bill,
Regarding internal components, what are your thoughts about shielding internally? I've seen some integrateds with copper panels etc.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »
Hi Nick,
 Our preamp circuit has always been known to be dead quiet. No worries there. The amplifier stage is shielded from the rest of the circuit by being in an aluminum sub enclosure further shielded (by us) using Mu Metal.
Design Engineer

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
I need to minimize boxes in my system so I would vote for integrated with ht bypass.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
It does have HT bypass. Seems to be a feature we cant do without these days.
Design Engineer

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
It does have HT bypass. Seems to be a feature we cant do without these days.

Just curious. As a manufacturer, what price points are thinking as to affordability?
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »
Hi Nick.
 With keeping with quality parts and our 1/8" aluminum chassis and going by normal markups, we would be looking at a "retail" price of around $7,500. However, I would like to see the selling price at around $3,995.
Design Engineer

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
Hi Nick.
 With keeping with quality parts and our 1/8" aluminum chassis and going by normal markups, we would be looking at a "retail" price of around $7,500. However, I would like to see the selling price at around $3,995.

Thanks, Bill. I'm always interested in getting different perspectives from dealers, manufacturers and consumers
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 04:58:31 AM »
I have to agree on the integrated path.   Assuming a comparable sound quality for the price, the convenience factor coupled with substantial cost savings in associated power, interconnect and digital cables is a big win.   

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 08:41:29 AM »
I agree. For so many years we have focused on preamp design and hybrid amplifiers. With so many looking to limit the number of components in their system without sacrificing sound quality, we feel its time for us to bring out a quality integrated that still maintains the sound quality we have become known for. Properly done, an integrated hybrid can sound just as good, if not better than comparable separates without the additional cost of another chassis, interconnects, power cords, etc.
Plus you dont have to worry about component synergy as the two stages are deaigned to work together as a single component.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:43:29 AM by Response Audio »
Design Engineer

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »
I think the market and younger consumer would want an integrated, especially if you made it look retro in some way. There's a niche for nostalgic stuff with the 20 somethings.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
Beware here comes the stick in the mud... Forgive my indulgences... for the sake of market research we can't all say YAY!!

"Affordable" implies compromise. Avoid that word in marketing jargon and just say it in the price.

To me, a hybrid tube/class D amp is an oxymoron. Either you'll tolerate the obsolete tubes for the sound, or you want energy savings and low impedance and modern technology, in class D. They don't go together in my closed mind.

Wait!   Hmmmm, that reminds me of something....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-XXbYb5hx0

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »
If you build it --and it sounds awesome and gets good reviews -- they will come!   But Rich raises a valid point - the combo of tubes and class D may not be high on anyone's shopping list, so it'll need to be something special to attract attention.