Author Topic: Is one System Enough ??  (Read 24345 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Is one System Enough ??
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2016, 06:56:50 AM »
  Hey Steve that 's cool. Maybe tone controls should be a consideration by the designers. Luxman still offers them.  Mc Intosh as well.
   I miss my Fisher 101 integrated for that reason. So the reason for more than one system.
   One for CD playback actually and one for Vinyl.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2016, 07:09:09 AM »
Im thinking about different speaker systems for different music. For my well recorded classical and Jazz my main speaker system. I am considering building a hi efficiency speaker (PA like) that I can abuse for loud Rock. I don't want to abuse my main speaker system as it never achieves the SPL for rock.  8)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2016, 07:17:08 AM »
Im thinking about different speaker systems for different music. For my well recorded classical and Jazz my main speaker system. I am considering building a hi efficiency speaker (PA like) that I can abuse for loud Rock. I don't want to abuse my main speaker system as it never achieves the SPL for rock.  8)

Good Idea. Roll them in baby.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 07:41:40 PM »
  Hey Steve that 's cool. Maybe tone controls should be a consideration by the designers. Luxman still offers them.  Mc Intosh as well.
   I miss my Fisher 101 integrated for that reason. So the reason for more than one system.
   One for CD playback actually and one for Vinyl.

charles

Thanks Rollo. The way I use "controls" is in parallel, and in the power supply if possible.

For example, in my 11A line preamplifier, I use a control in parallel with the output, to adjust for different amplifier input impedances (Z), which affects the bass.

In the amp, I use the controls in the power supply to adjust for highs and lows. I keep the controls out of the primary part of the signal circuitry. I also have a control, that is not a center tap filament control, for minimizing 60hz hum in the system.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »
As you guys know I was having difficulty deciding my preference on speaker/amp configurations. Planars/Arion hybrid amps or Highly efficient [ Rethm]/SET combo.
   It dawned on me to have both. Slide in one pair slide out the other. For my room size outboard OB subs are a tough fit. The HE speaker has a built in sub to 18Hz. I like bass to 20HZ so outboard OB subs are a must for me if planars are used. The planars I choose go down to 20HZ with no subs. Much easier to integrate in my room. 
   I listen to jazz mostly, some blues and hardly any rock. Classical full orchestral music though is like rock requiring some balls from your stereo.
    Maybe after living with both types side by side it will be an easier task for me to decide which combo suits ME the best. Yes all about ME here. My money, my room my ears that simple.
   In the end one system [ main system] should be just fine.

charles

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
Yes all about ME here. My money, my room my ears that simple.

As it should be.   
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2017, 10:49:21 AM »
Doug, your name was thrown out recently on AC;
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108032.msg1625092#msg1625092

Hey Doug,
Nice to have you here. Speaking of tuners, I had a Revox years ago and was living in so California at the time. It was a very good product. Finally sold it and the darn thing had a burned out led. It would have been expensive to get that panel replaced, but it wasn't an issue at all for the guy who bought it.
Doug, if you are indeed knowledgeable in tuners, it would be great if you could post how you developed an interest in tuners, what brands you've owned over the years and is there much of a market at all for them nowadays.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 04:01:23 PM »
I love my tuna. But recently my main station, 24/7/365 classical developed a leftward skew to the stereo image. I have emailed the engineer and the station owner, but no reply, no repair.  My friend (also a radio engineer) thinks probably they know about the problem but the fix is too expensive. And of course only a crazy audiophile gives a shit anyway. So I'm just trying to deal with it. It is good therapy for my OCD.

I once had a short email correspondence with the sexy waif-voiced morning announcer on this station, talking about the (then) new Leon Fleischer album, Two Hands. We both agreed how much we loved the music, then I had to ruin it by mentioning the mediocre sound quality. She never replied.  :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
Yeah, they are audiophile prone, they've customized their broadcast equipment for better SQ from what I've heard. It definitely plays lower than 50Hz. And the analog compression they use on everything is so delicious.

I usually donate a few hundred bucks to them each year. So next time when the old lady fund raising volunteer asks me what reward gift I want I'll say "I want you to fix the damn channel balance!"   :x

I always fantasize about calling up the station owner, and bribing her with a $100k donation if she'll fix the balance, or move the hayseed DJ to the middle of the night and the sexy one to afternoon, or promote my favorite cool avant garde Sunday 6-9pm show to M-F 9-12pm instead.  She'd probably say, "make it 200k and it's all yours - sucka!"

I will continue to pester them. I know they do care about SQ. Actually, the program manager usually does respond to my emails, when I ask "what was that guitar music you played on August 1st at 9:22PM." So I'll try him next. They're webstream has a centered image, but the radio sounds so much better.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »
The tuner talk piqued my interest as to what Revox tuner it was...and the B760 photo sure looks familiar. We had a choice of some good stations back in "El Lay" and I had an outdoor antenna. The late night listening was very good. Not sure why I sold it, but I can say that about other equipment as well. I think I also had a Tandberg tuner, but I'm not recalling the particulars right now
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »
My TU-717 is very pretty too.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 07:30:04 AM »
Sitting on a Sansui TU9500. Any good ?

charles

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »
I have given up on FM tuners since moving out to Brightwaters. O don't have an outdoor antenna mast on the new house and we are really on the fringe area of the coverage maps so reception was spotty at best. And once I got the Bluesound Node and found out that I can stream 95% of the FM stations in the area with no signal problems it was game, set match and the tuner has been in stoage in the garage ever since.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
I have an AU and TU-9500 sitting on a shelf in the black hole.
Because I am The Pumpkinking