Author Topic: Big horn experiments - AE TD15M, TD15H, SEOS24, Iwata300, JBL beryllium & BMS  (Read 23595 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Big horn experiments - AE TD15M, TD15H, SEOS24, Iwata300, JBL beryllium & BMS
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 07:14:11 AM »
how do you like the woofers.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Big horn experiments - AE TD15M, TD15H, SEOS24, Iwata300, JBL beryllium & BMS
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »
Very pretty. It's funny how women like horns. The bigger the better it seems. Maybe it is the organic curves that remind them of the fairer sex. While the angles, aggression and machine look of Wilson Alexandria attracts men.

Offline rajacat

• Seeking Help
Have you tried these with the SEOS 24's yet?
I'm will be starting a similar project. The sealed bass bins will employ TD15m's and there will be SEOS18's on top in their own open backed boxes. I have the BA750 cd's so I'll try to cross @~600hz.
I've toyed with the idea of building the boxes into the corners with the baffles straddling the corners @ 45 degrees. With the corner setup it would be very easy to build a very  dead CLD enclosure.

..Roy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:55:07 AM by rajacat »

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
nope, not yet....

I dropped a "textbook" first order crossover on the JBL 2446 with Be diaphragms and Iwata 300 combo and EQ'ed a bit to get decent response.... that's as far as I got... I haven't been able to find time to do proper measurements at proper volume level to get above ambient room issues and figure out if it is room or actual response... that way I can start crossover sims and build a few test options to listen to...

what I heard with very, very un-optimized crossover for the iwata combo was encouraging....  above or below the iwata drops off more substantially than the seos and Pi waveguides I've played with... not sure on the seos 24 yet as I haven't even fired that one up... it's just been sitting in the corner of the room staring at me, calling out to be played with....

In the interim I've been building published designs since I can solder crossovers at 1AM after everyone is in bed sleeping and that doesn't make noise to wake up the lightest sleeping people on the planet that are my family members (i.e. son and wife).... I finished Bagby's Zephyrs, have the 3Pis with upgraded parts breaking in now, and almost finished wiring the BMS4550/SEOS12/AE TD15M design that mtg90 posted in public domain on DIY sound group site...all thanks to Richidoo's cabinet building help...  using the big woofer box here as the cabinet for that last design with BMS 4550/SEOS12 on a baffle same width as cabinets sitting on top, similar to how I have iwata and SEOS24 horns/waveguides sitting on top of cabinet strapped to "top plates"....

I've booked first or second weekend in January with wife to take the little guy for an afternoon or more so that I can do proper measurements and start playing with the big boys in earnest....   call it a new year's resolution to get these "finished" enough to begin tweaking them in earnest...

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
just an update for anyone interested and not following on avs forum as well.....

I am abandoning the project.... Re-engaging things in a big, big way with the business, family time commitments, and general life stuff has meant so little time to work on these that I just can't realistically envision when I would have time to work on them.

I sold off the Iwata and JBL CDs already.  At first I decided to keep the boxes, AE woofers, SEOS 24 and BMS 4595 coaxial CDs thinking I could shove them somewhere here and eventually find some time to fiddle with them.  But even with keeping most of the demo gear in my new warehouse location and only pulling it as needed for my private demo appointments for potential customers, the REL subwoofers really need the typical room spots that I could shove these big boxes to keep them out of the way until that day came when I could tweak...

So with a heavy heart, I think it makes sense to sell off the parts and call it a day.  I'm willing to sell the AE TD15M & TD15H woofers, the SEOS 24 horns (remember these are 1.5" horn throat not the standard 1.4" because of the JBL 2447 CDs I had here), BMS Speakers 4595 1.5" throat coaxial dual compression driver, and even if the boxes if someone wants them and can arrange to pick them up.  If the boxes don't sell, I'll stick them in the garage for a while longer as my last sliver of hope of hanging on to the project... 

shoot me a PM if you have any interest in any of the parts...  :( :(

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Sucks when life gets in the way of audio...........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables