Author Topic: Olive4 Hi Rez  (Read 3297 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Olive4 Hi Rez
« on: November 25, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
   The new Olive unit looks very promising for the older guys like me who hate the pooter. Stores 6000 CDs and  they will load all of your CDs for a small fee. Brilliant!
    Price is right as well under $1500. Worth a look. The original Olive which I heard with Cain & Cain Wall of Sound and Fi amps and Pre was quite good. My only complaint was the exaggerated sibilance on top. If they corrected that IMO this a steal.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Olive4 Hi Rez
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:13:00 AM »
I've always liked the Olive design (stand only functioning, no fan, proper shape/size factors, iTouch/other remote options, nice little screen), now more so with the bigger HD.   :thumb:  The HD is $200 more to get a semi-specified DAC, more connections and they're gold plated.  But you're locked into a big HD (the Olive 4 starts $500 cheaper).  And frankly they (and especially the Olive 2 remote station) are overpriced based on content.  You're paying a lot for pooter ignorance.  Don't know about the DAC, I'll wait for the reviews.

John Casler (from AC) liked them too and used to sell them (but he says that the company was a PITA to deal with).  Now I don't see links to any dealers.   :?

The reviews of the original series liked them, but just OK.  6moons really liked them as transports.  Seems to me that the original series required you to buy their expensive HD's for additional capacity/backup, it doesn't look that way now.   :thumb: