Author Topic: What's the best humidity level for optimum sound?  (Read 6122 times)

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
What's the best humidity level for optimum sound?
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:55:59 PM »
My sound room is rather cool and very very dry.  I know it is wrecking havoc on static charge with my records.  I'm wondering what should be the ideal humidity level?   

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: What's the best humidity level for optimum sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/28865/0/

Looks like 40-45% is the ideal range of compromise for comfort, skin health, wood based instruments (paper drivers), and static electricity.

Ultrasonic humidifiers are very quiet.  Here you go Rob:
http://www.crane-usa.com/licensed-styles.html

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
Beautiful link, Rich.

I have my Idylis ultra sonic humidifier set on 45.  It's real quiet.

Rob S.\
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline JLM

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 01:08:03 PM »
In colder climates 45% can produce condensation on windows (especially poorly insulated ones).  Note that if the room is open to the rest of the house, you'll be trying to humidify the entire house, so Sponge Bob may need some brother Bobs.

Here in the great white north, folks either use central humidifiers that connect into the primary supply/return ductwork of the home or large media over wheel consoles that hold several gallons and uses a fan to blow across the media that the wheel pulls through the reservoir in order to obtain the necessary capacity.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:06:48 AM »
In a previous life I was an engineer for the first generation of digital switches introduced into the public telephone system by the Bell System. These switches were extremely sensitive to environmental operating conditions. They generated quite a bit of heat and therefore require large amounts of A/C to keep the switch rooms down to an acceptable temperature, but as were added more A/C the humidity levels dropped to a point where the CMOS chips were starting to fail due to static discharges. We ended up in a number of installations having to run humidifiers in the same room as air conditioners to keep the humidity high enough to reduce static at the same time the A/C was dropping the temperature low enough to prevent overheating. This is a long way of getting around to saying that we too found that the ideal humidity level for operating this electronic equipment was 40-50%.
One interesting note is that too much humidity ended up being a bad thing also.When the humidity got much over 70% we started getting long term circuit board failures as some of the current flow cause enough of a magnetic field to attract dust to the PCB traces. When the humidity got high, the moisture in the air would react with this dust and form acidic compound which would "rot" the materials on the traces and cause premature failures.
So adding a little humidity to your mancave can be a good thing, just don't over do it or you could add up solving one problem and just creating a new one. (Besides, high humidity can make your records start to smell moldy.  :( )

Now all of this has to do with protecting our equipment from failure (and of course broken equipment produces no sound, which is big time on the bad end of the spectrum), but does not address how the sound itself changes with respect to humidity. One summer I was working on the sound crew for a local outdoor concert series, and one of the artists performing that year was Peter Nero. He was playing a Steinway piano and since we were in the NY Metro area, Steinway sent one of their technicians over to tune it for him. I remember the technician being very concerned with the humidity level, not only the absolute level, but also how that  level might have changed form 2 in the afternoon when he tuned it to 8 in the evening when the show would be starting. So if the humidity can effect the wood and the sound of a piano, I guess it could also effect our speaker enclosures and therefore how they sound.

I personally have never given any thought to, nor done any specific analysis of humidity vs sound quality issues. I think a lot of us just figure that when it gets humid, all of our neighbors turn on their A/C and screw up the power grid. But I have never given any thought to if there might be a direct link between humidity and sound over and above the derivative effect of noise on the electric service.

Does anyone else out there have any experience or thoughts on this aspect?

Tom
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 07:29:17 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline JLM

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:03:26 AM »
In operating rooms the standard used to be 50 - 60% back when flammable anesthetics were used.  Now it's 30 - 60% with interest to moving towards 20 - 60% due to the high ventilation rates and energy efficiency issues.  Lower is better for worker comfort while garbed in multiple layers of protective attire.  But higher is better where electric cauterizing instruments or alcohol based skin prep that hasn't fully dried can come into contact with oxygen (that collected under all the surgical drapes).

I keep our house at 40%.  Much lower and furniture drys out, skin/mucous membranes dry out, and its hard to maintain comfort.  Much higher and condensation starts to appear at the bottom of windows and any door leaks.  Don't know how it would affect sound directly, but as Tmazz stated too high (>60%) can't be good for electronics and too low (<30%) can't be good for speaker cabinets.