Author Topic: Negative Ion Generator.  (Read 20995 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Negative Ion Generator.
« on: December 27, 2009, 06:38:52 AM »
   Who knew. So it's Christmas morning our daughter gave us a Himalayan salt crystal lamp. She told us the lamp cleans the air and is a good thing to have in the home. OK I'm game. It's really a pretty stone  but the Wifey says "oh it would be good in your audio room", meaning not in the living room. WTF just what I needed another thing in the way. Oh well. Not to disappoint our daughter I gave in. Plugged it in and left the room for about 10 hours.
  That evening went down for some listening to chill after a long Christmas day. The system was sounding liver than usual and the depth of the soundstage was further back than ever. never gave the lamp one thought.
   The next day the instructions for the lamp were close by. Reading the instructions I noticed that electronic equipment emits numerous positive electrons which is not a good thing for clean air. OK, clean air. Then remembering Acoustic revive makes one as well. Used in studios. HMM.
   Now I do not know why the music sounds better but it does. Time to learn more. The result after another nights listening proved even more sonic delights than before. Quite interesting. I must be nuts.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Negative Ion Generator.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:44:43 PM »
Could just be that you got rid of something you were allergic to in the room.. which opened up your sinuses, and releasing pressure to your ears.. Glad it's working. :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »
I have heard good things from folks who have added these salt crystal lamps into their system rooms. In this case, who really cares if it's psycho acoustic? If you are enjoying your music more, then it's all good. It's all in your head,,, literally so enjoy the music.  :thumb:

I'll stick with my Acoustic Revive RR-77 Low Pulse Generator myself.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »
Charles,

If you weren't nuts you would have a different hobby!    :rofl:

Have fun with the new toy. :D/
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Sir Charles,
What does your red handled "Zerostat" do???

It generates "Negative Ions" to remove static electricity!

Ever notice when it snows outside that there's zero static in your listening room & that everything sounds better?? If not, wait till it snows next time & give a listen!! A free tweak but you must have patience!!!

Audios,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »
Sir Charles,

Ever notice when it snows outside that there's zero static in your listening room & that everything sounds better?? If not, wait till it snows next time & give a listen!! A free tweak but you must have patience!!!

Audios,
Pete

No question about it. But I hate snow. Next up the Shulman resonater. WTF. So when are we getting together already. My place or yours. I'm cooking if ya come, let me know

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »
I have a Sharper Image Air cleaner with turbo mode that spews negative ions. I can feel the electrical tingle on my hand when I hit the turbo button. Bedroom smells good enough, now it's time to clean the audio room air - hehe.   No fan so it's dead silent, huge high voltage plates, and the green turbo button!

shep

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
Charles, please report about the Shuman resonator when you get a chance. That facinates me

Offline satfrat

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
Those Shulman resonators are always popping up on A'gon for less than 1/2 what a RR-77 goes for. But are they as effective on audio? I know what the RR-77 does for my system, especially with an upgraded power supply. The Shulman,,,, don't know. 1 thing I will say is Acoustic Revive distinctly expresses that the RR-77 needs to be at least 5 ft high from the floor to be effective. I have mine sitting 6' high on top of my audio rack. Now if this is a given fact for it's effectiveness on audio, now can a wallwart Shulman in a 1-2' wall outlet possibly be effective for audio? Maybe a wall mount is ok for any health benefits but that's not what you're getting one for. Just something to think about.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:17:08 PM by satfrat »
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

shep

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
maybe I'm confusing the two?

Offline satfrat

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »
maybe I'm confusing the two?

Not really, the Shulman has an adjustable frequency control whereas the RR-77 is preset. Who's to say you can dial in the precise frequency to match the RR-77? But placement of the unit is essential. Just thought it worth mentioning. I have a 12' power cord for my RR-77.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

shep

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:39 AM »
Just so I get this right; both of these devices emmit a frequency said to be that which is the earth's, and in some way restore some sonic harmony?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 06:27:23 AM »
I don't understand the ion generator.. I bought one one of the ion air cleaners when that was all the rage and all it did was produce an unnerving smell.  I'd watch the dust in the air fall freely all around it and not get pulled through the device.  It did nothing to clean the air.  I later learned that there were piles of lawsuits claiming the same that put Sharper Image out of business.  Consumer Reports said the same thing too.. except they added that they could put off dangerous levels of Ozone.  (which I'm sure is overhyped)

I hope to learn more about what ions do in the coming month so I can better understand their effects.  I think running/crashing water produces them also.. (ocean waves, waterfalls, etc.)  So, that's where I go for my ion 'fix'. ;)

-C
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:41:17 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »
I have some experience of this. Positive ions are very nasty. In some countrys, Isreal notably, they wouldn't perform operations when the wind was from a certain direction (from the desert), because the overload of Pos Ions made for bad judgement. I lived in Switzerland for a long time. The foen is a wind that makes people crazy and aggresive and is full of PO's. In NY I had an apt and I enstalled a negative ion machine. It worked but created dirty rings around every corner or object hanging on the wall. Neon light and carpeting made from synthetics are bad in this respect. Lightening creates floods of negative (good IO's), as does running water, especially ocean waves, which is one reason people feel good at the beach. There is a lot of research on the subject but as to it's influence on audio, I suspect it has more to do with mood altering than anything else.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 07:19:29 AM »
Sir Charles,

Audios,
Pete

No question about it. But I hate snow. Next up the Shulman resonater. WTF. So when are we getting together already. My place or yours. I'm cooking if ya come, let me know

charles

Sir Charles,
Come on over today (Sunday 1-10-10) ~ 1 PM...

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS