Author Topic: EE DAC arrived, G2G 8/8!  (Read 28078 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: EE DAC arrived, G2G 8/8!
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for coming tonight.. Excellent crowd, good sounds and comparisons.

I really liked the EE DAC's sound, more detail, more decay, nuance, etc. than what I'm used to... changing the power cord from stock to (anything) was a noticable improvement.  I felt it held its own in comparison to the much pricier PS Audio DAC compared against it.. and did things the Scott Nixon just didn't.  However, I still prefer the sound of the non-oversampling DAC.  If I find one that resolves more that doesn't oversample, and is tonally accurate and coherent, I'll buy it.  Until then, I'll take one that doesn't resolve as much to get all the other goodies.

We were going to compare the EE to the Buffalo DAC, an interesting comparison since they both use the Sabre chip.. but we ran into technical issues and could not.

In any case, thanks to all who were able to make it.  It was really nice to see everyone and meet some new folks (Scott and Ray).  You are welcome here anytime and I hope to see you again at future meets.

Hope everyone made it home safe. 

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
Carl,

Once again, thank you for your wonderful hospitality  :thumb:!

I agree, it was very nice seeing everyone again, as well as meeting a couple of new guys, as well.

I thought all of the DACs sounded good, but I would need time alone with each to be able to discern any differences. I think that nowdays you almost have to think of a given price-point, and then ask yourself...do I really hear that much difference, for the 2x-3x price difference (???)  :?.

Sorry, for the 'technical' difficulties, and I hope that you can get them resolved quickly, and to your satisfaction.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

bacobits

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2010, 07:44:01 PM »
Good time Carl thanks!
Made it home by 10 pm, not a bad ride at all.
320 miles round trip from here.
Good seeing everyone again and meeting some new friends.

There were differences in all the DAC's. I also didn't think  the PS Audio was at the top of the list as much as the others. It's all system dependant. As Steve says you have to sit down and spend some time with them all. Please no offense to Shane.

Great job on the room and nice system Carl.

I'll be back.

Let me know what you think of the "cooker".

D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:49:50 PM by bacobits »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 07:29:16 AM »
Thanks much to Christine and Carl for hosting our g2g. It's always great to hang out in the ultimate man cave. Welcome to Scott and Ray to our audio club, and welcome back to Roger. It was great to see you guys.

In order of preference inside Carl's system, I liked the Buffalo32 with Sol's output stage mods best, then EE with tube disengaged, then Nixon DAC, then EE with Sylvania 12AU7 tube, then EE with stock  tube, then the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC. PerfectWave had the best soundtaging and resolution but tonally was not a good match.

The EE without the tube engaged was a very nice sounding, satisfying, clear and musical sound. I wish there was more time to just sit back and listen to it for a while, the comparison must go on, and the preference for the tube output among the other listeners was equal to those prefering no tube. I look forward to hearing it in my own system, and trying some of my own fav 12AU7s in it. RCA cleartop especially I think will give minimal coloration and with the opamp providing plenty of bass the cleartop should be a good balance. The stock tube was splashy in the DAC and the Sylvania was better controlled but still too tubey for me. The DAC is definitely not the same circuit as the dual tube minimax preamp which sounded less colored using two of the same stock tube. Some niggles: the tube socket is recessed into the case making it very difficult to pull the tube out. The orange LED on the front signalling tube engaged is too bright.

In my own system I think I would like the PerfectWave DAC and Transport best. It is a detail monster, and felt the most open and free of sonic encumbrances, but was peaky and tilted up in Carl's system which is tuned for his mellower Nixon DAC. Thanks to Shane for bringing it, along with many other goodies. Also, thanks to those who brought equipment that we didn't get to play this time.

I always thought that the JPS wires were graded according to resolution only, and was surprised to hear Shane suggest swapping out the less expensive UltraConductor2 ICs for SuperConductor3 ICs to quench the zinginess of the PerfectWave DAC. I thought with more resolution it will make it even worse. But it did take the edge off and made the DAC very listenable, although the tilt was still there, the peakiness and shouties in the mids and uppermids were mostly tamed. I assume that the abillity of JPS alloy to eliminate any ringing in the signal is stronger in the SC3. Of course the SC3 upped the resolution even more which was intoxicating.

Certainly there is interest in a vinyl meet in the future, and there are some DIY amps, speakers and DACs brewing so this fall should be a fun time for us. I hope to see you guys at the next meet.
Rich

manaox2

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »
Thanks to Carl for being such a good host, it was a great afternoon. The man cave was very impressive. :thumb: It was really nice also meeting all who attended, some very friendly folks who didn't mind entertaining some of my naivety about some of the gear.

The EE Dac sounded nice, the tube being on or off sounded to me like a very small difference, maybe just a very small effect on the mid-bass and/or some small change in gain. The Scott Nixon DAC sounded laid back in that system, seems like it would synergize very well with the right type of music. The PS Audio Wave like others said, sounded detailed, but the tonality didn't match well with the system it seemed. Shane seemed to have done a nice job on modded Buffalo32 DAC, sounded very good. :) Looking forward to meeting again down the road.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:37:38 AM by manaox2 »

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
RCA cleartop, :roll:  No thanks, out of all the great 12au7's out there , this tube would be at the bottom of my list.

The effort that it takes to pull the tube out of its grab hold death grip socket is a lot for sure. My motto, better tight then loose :thumb: :rofl:

Later,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

evan1

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
Any pics ?

bacobits

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »
No one took picts.

D

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »
Any link to these output mods?

"... I liked the Buffalo32 with Sol's output stage mods best..."
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »
I think he just swapped the 4562 output opamps. The I/V opamp is still stock. I'll ask him the details.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2010, 07:13:06 AM »
only got to stay for a few minutes...wasn't feeling great (although the drugs improved situation before I left) and had to take care of the better half.   After the past couple months, I'm just thankful I can listen to music again... this past weekend was the first time in 2 months...  great to see everyone and great to rejoin the world so to speak...

It's amazing to hear the different pieces in the context of different rooms and gear surrounding it.  It really is about the sum of the parts not entirely just the individual parts... each piece adds its own sonic signature to come up with a combined sound.  It takes several systems and rooms before you can draw conclusions about what a particular piece sounds like.  The PS Audio and, to less of a degree, the EE and Buffalo just don't match up well with the rest of carl's setup.  The Nixon has appeal because of it's sonic signature to get everything else in line.  The same PS Audio combo in my setup with the moscode or tube amps and harbeth Monitor 40.1s sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different.  The Nixon wouldn't work at all in that setup.

Sol can tell you exactly what he did... but for now, the Buffalo32 currently is wired with JPS Labs wire, has custom power supply and regulators, and he changed some caps and all the opamps if the part list that was ordered is to be believed. 

I bought the newer version II board with no output stage built in and when he finishes up with my 6C33C amps Sol is going to build out a tube output stage with 6SN7s for me.  I hadn't listened to this DAC in > 6 months I believe because he's had it at his place to do the mods...... but the amp and life got in the way from getting to it.... oh well... in time....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »
Great to see you active again Shane. Hope all is well. The best.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.