Author Topic: HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik digital crossover  (Read 46300 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik digital crossover
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »
That's great!! I thought it had to be a closed system. Thanks for clarifying that, Rich.

Some questions off the top of my head...

Is there one master clock for all 8 DACs, and what is the jitter spec?

Balanced analog outputs are professional or consumer voltage level?

How do you switch between the USB input and analog inputs?

What kind of driver is used for the USB? ASIO pretty please?  ;)

Thanks

Offline richidoo

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 04:11:24 PM »
Rich  I only asked because when talking to the Sony reps at the HiFi show in Brooklyn last fall they told me that their music servers would only talk to external hard drives connected via the USB port and that support for Ethernet connected NAS units was planned for some future software upgrade, but he could not put a timeframe on its availability.  In a recent trip to Stereo Exchange in NYC they tried to sell me three different music servers , non of which could read files off of an Ethernet NAS. When I question this I was given a lecture about how is was stupid to think I needed a lot of storage because I should be getting everything as a streaming file off the net.
Typical high end salesmanship. Rather than try to get me what I came in looking for they tell you you are silly for note wanting what they happen to have in stock.   :duh

That's funny. Sony always locking everything down.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 04:50:45 PM »
tmazz,
The MS-3 is setup as a memory player.  As long as the NAS is fast over the Gigabit Ethernet it will load the file in memory to play without much delay.  This solves the replay issues with large files.  

Rich,
All 8 DAC's run off the DSP derived master clock.  It uses a MEMS oscillator with separate DC supply.  I have seen no measurement from the company on clock jitter, but it is low from the sound quality.

The Balanced outputs are consumer level.

Both the Analog and USB inputs are active at all times.  You just decide which source you are going to use, but not both at once unless you like to DJ.  :)

The PC driver is ASIO that you install.  It shows up as an audio device on a MAC as ASIO as well.  

How's that?

Rich
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:10:46 PM by HAL »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 06:19:39 PM »
How's that?

That's good...  damn good, and fast!   8)

Thank you!

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »
Ok, just let me know if you want to give the system a demo.  I have one MS-3 and dspMusik system that can be used to demo. 

I just need how the previous DCX2496 crossover setup was done to replicate the settings in the dspMusik system.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 07:35:25 PM »
Thanks, Rich, for the generous offer to demo, that will be fun. It will be a little while before I am ready to try it, as I am trying to solve a stubborn speaker resonance problem, but I think I would like to try it.

I currently use JRiver DSP with a pro 8ch interface. Speaker is a 3 way cone diy. I can send you the xo details when the time comes.

I will be hosting a G2G party later this summer, so maybe we can coordinate the demo at that time so others can hear it too. The date is not yet set, pending solving my speaker puzzle.  :?

There is a long thread on AC about this system if anyone is interested:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132170.0

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »
Rich,
Just let me know when you are ready.

Best,
Rich

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 04:49:49 AM »
Anyone else interested in demoing the dspMusik with their GR-Research LS-9's?  I have one system that can be sent for trials. 

I need at least one person in the Continental US that wants to demo it so I can verify the digital crossover is correct.  I have no way to test it here with speakers.  If you are in the MD, VA or DC area, I can setup a demo with your system.

This will be the full HAL MS-3 and dspMusik demo system with TRS to XLR cables, as changes may need to be made and much easier using the Audio Weaver development system on the PC to change things if needed.  I just email you a file to load as needed.

So far each demo has been done that way in every system.  It is very easy to use and comes ready to play your files with Foobar2000.   Just hook up a display, USB drive, keyboard and mouse to the front USB ports and the dspMusik to the back USB port.  Connect the XLR connections to source and amps.  Then you are ready to play music.  If you need single ended connections, I can send TRS to RCA adaptors to use your RCA interconnects.

You can demo the system for 2 weeks to give you time to evaluate the sound quality.  Just ship it back to me after the demo time.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »
For anyone with VMPS RM50, RM40 or RM-V60's with a DCX2496 crossover, the dspMusik would be an upgrade to the system.  It is installed in one system with RM50's and RM40's.  It has been demoed in a three way system setup with RM40's as well with reported very good results.

Have crossovers ready for Sanders 10C and 10D electrostatic hybrids as well that come with the DCX2496.  It was demoed on the Sanders 10D speakers with very good results as well.

If you just want the crossover without a MS-3 that is possible as the dspMusik can be standalone like the DCX2496.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 04:55:43 PM »
Have a HAL MS-3 running Windows 10 Pro 64bit preview and everything is installed and running correctly.  Will be evaluating sound quality, but the earlier version sounded very good, as did Windows 8.1.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 05:01:18 AM »
Have decided to try a new line array idea to use with the dspMusik digital crossover. 

This will be 10 planar midrange drivers in a line array with a 6x12" servo sub array in open baffle configuration. 
Each planar driver will have it's own power amplifier.   

The idea is to use impulse response correction for the planar line array to correct it's response and use time delays to align the planar array to the sub array. 

Will be checking with the woodworker today about the open baffle for the array.  The 6x12" servo array cabinets are completed and being loaded with drivers and wired.

A fun summer project.  :D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
That sounds excellent! Summer is the time build new speakers!

Are you using the BG planar mids? Rythmik/GR servo subs? I think I remember that you liked those from reading on AC over the years. What tweeters? 

What do you mean by impulse response correction for the planars? Will you stagger the time delay of the individual planars so they are coincident to sweet spot height?  That's the only reason I can think to amplify them each separately. Very cool!

Good to know all is well on Win10. Yours is the first word I've heard about win10 relating to audio. I kinda view Win10 as Win8 scrubbed of of the BalmerGates past. I think it's roughly the same under the hood, with minor tweeks to keep it current.
Rich

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »
Rich,
I will not be using BG drivers since they are still not available for sale.  The company that bought BG is still setting up the sales end and not done.  I am working with another company that does another style of planar mid tweeter driver.

If you measure the impulse response of a speaker it is possible to invert that response and correct the driver to flat response.  There are tools available to do this with the correct measurements.

I drive each planar with it's own amp to have full damping factor of the amp controlling it.  This is not the case when drivers are series/parallel connected to an amp.    This way the sensitivity of each doubling of drivers is maintained, not the case for series/parallel connection of drivers. 

There are also white papers written on the effect of a passive crossover and it's effects on damping factors of the amp to the driver.  The crossover in front of the amp directly driving each element solves this problem.

I would have to have a 22 channel crossover to have separate time delays for each driver.  That is not attempt in this case, but there will be time delay between the woofer OB and mid-tweeter OB to time align them.

I prefer the Windows 10 interface over Windows 8.1.  Both sound the same to me, but I like the UI more.  Runs more efficiently on the processors than Windows 7 from what I see. 

Rich

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »
One clarification.

The dspMusik can be stand alone, meaning it has a fixed program running for the speaker digital crossover. 

If folks are interested in the dspMusik to have full control and programmability, it will need to be purchased with an MS-3 Music Server. 

The software to control the dspMusik is not a simple installation with the USB driver.  Having done this for a few customers, it is only possible with me doing the install. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »
I see, thanks