Author Topic: Player Software matters. Foobar sucks.  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Player Software matters. Foobar sucks.
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:45 AM »
I had to rebuild my audio room PC due to moving my HD to a new case w/ new processor combined with updates and registering Windows.  (didn't do it on purpose, just the way it worked out)

In any case, re-installing everything I decided to try JRiver (again).  Richidoo had made the suggestion. I wasn't nuts about having to learn a new interface...

I set up a comparison using the Hiface USB/digital output going to my Scott Nixon DAC.  I A/B'd songs on Foobar and JRiver over and over using WASAPI as the output.  

I A/B'd again and again with a few little tweaks here and there... trying... in vane... to get Foobar to sound as good as JRiver.  I have some complaints about JRiver but I'm trying to work it out before complaining publicly.  Regardless, it simply sounds better.

More transparency is the best way to describe JRiver.  Foobar sounds soft, mushy, and 'hazy'.  I immediately notice more articulation (like how open a mouth is when singing), much more delineation of bass notes and details.  Better imaging, less 'veil'... etc. etc.  

I'm going to try another one (also suggested by Rich) http://www.xxhighend.nl/  Looking forward to that one also. :)

Either way, Foobar is dead.  
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Player Software matters. Foobar sucks.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »
Carl,

Just curious if you've tried MediaMonkey?   I find I like it more than Foobar from purely a functional point of view but never thought to compare them sonically.   

I only use it in my computer room... still using Logitech Squeeze<stuff> everywhere else.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
I have... but it's been years... I didn't care for MM's layout at the time but that was in my learning curve days of computer audio.  I'll check it out for sure. :)
Thanks!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 01:29:26 PM »
MediaMonkey's current release is 3.2.4 but they're on the verge of releasing 4.0 (I think they may have a RC available for it now).

From what I can tell, they're going down the same path as Logitech SqueezeCenter (soon to be Logitech Media Server) - trying to incorporate video management and playback as well.   I'm not sure how I feel about that since I tend to use music vs video quite differently.  Time will tell...

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »
Wow, xxhighend looks intriguing if not a bit overwhelming to absorb.

Anyone using it?  Rich?   

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »
are you sure you don't still have all your processing stuff turned on in Foobar? :) 

I have both here and I've never found there to be much difference between the two in the head to head tests I've done...  but the last version of JRiver I bought was 13 something I think....  never bothered to do updates... I prefered the Foobar interface....

interesting... very interesting... might need to look at it again then....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »
I'm sure, this is a new pc, new build. Drop by sometime if you want to hear what I'm hearing.

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »
That is interesting, I had just the opposite experience. In my setup JRiver seems more aggressive/forward/hard while foobar presents a bit more relaxed and natural presentation but does not seem to reduce dynamics and attack.

Since both are bit perfect I have no good explanation as to why that is the case but I've tried several builds of JRiver and still end up back with fb2k. I do see significantly less CPU utilization with foobar than JRiver, so that might have something to do with it. Note I have no visualizations enabled in fb2k other than artwork, basically nothing that will eat CPU cycles that is not essential. Then again that machine also has no anti virus, no firewall, no lots of services. Of course I never access the internet on it.  :shock: