Author Topic: Phono Interconnects  (Read 26204 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Phono Interconnects
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »
My VPI Classic II came in and I am in the market for new "Phono" interconnects. Do I just buy interconnects or are some interconnects better for phono. I am using a High Output MC Benz Glider which is lower than a MM into a Audio Research SP8.
Thanks.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Phono Interconnects
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »
Because of the small signal I would suggest making sure these interconnects are shielded. And then need to be burned in just like any other cable, but the small signal from the cartridge is insufficient. Burn them in on your CD player for 100+ hours first.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »
 :shock: aren't all interconnects shielded?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:43:54 AM »
  No they are not all shielded. One would desire a low capacitance shielded cable.
   I would look for the most neutral IC available within your budget. within our club there are many you could demo. Especially TWL our club member.
   Keep them as short as possible. As an experiment try wrapping any pair of ICs with alum foil. Listen without then with to discern the difference.

charles
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:33:57 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Brap

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »
VPI Classic II -- SO Jealous =P~ :clap:

Ended up going with the Ort Quintet Bronze.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
Check out Morrow Audio phono cable.  Light thin flexible stuff, easy to route and work with.  Very reasonable prices.  

I use the ph4, love it.  Rec'd it to a buddy w/ a very high end VPI rig.  He went with ph5.  Loves it.  Says his analog has never sounded so good, can't stop listening.

Goto Morrow's used cable page, 50% off sale till next week.  If you don't see what you want, fill out the request form.  Stand your ground, he will sell you new at used prices.  Trust me, I know. Burn in is a bit of a ride.  About 300 hrs.  When it settles...wow!

http://www.morrowaudio.com/usedcables.htm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:14:35 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »
Check out Morrow Audio phono cable.  Light thin flexible stuff, easy to route and work with.  Very reasonable prices.  

I use the ph4, love it.  Rec'd it to a buddy w/ a very high end VPI rig.  He went with ph5.  Loves it.  Says his analog has never sounded so good, can't stop listening.

Goto Morrow's used cable page, 50% off sale till next week.  If you don't see what you want, fill out the request form.  Stand your ground, he will sell you new at used prices.  Trust me, I know. Burn in is a bit of a ride.  About 300 hrs.  When it settles...wow!

http://www.morrowaudio.com/usedcables.htm

I'm thinking a pr of used ph4's regular plugs. Not sure there is any sonic benefit of the Eichman's.

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »
All my Morrows have regular connectors,  so i can't comment on the Eichmanns ,  but some guys swear by them.

Maybe start w regular connectors and see if you really like the cable.  If so,  and you itch to play around,  pick up a set w / Eichmanns at a good used price.   Compare,  and sell the loser.   Reasonable prices near 50% of list minimizes resell loss.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:19:23 PM by toobluvr »

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 05:46:51 AM »
Morning,

Some of the users on the Morrow forum have said the Eichmann plugs made an audible improvement with using them but I believe that was with the level 4 or level 6 ICs.

I did a quick search in their forum and a VPI TT owner started with PH4 ICs from TT to Phono pre and MA4 from Phono Pre to preamp. They later moved up to PH6 and are even happier. In my system I use  1/2 meter PH2 ICs and then 1 meter MA2 ICs and I like the combination.

Morrow has Used cable sales less often now than sales on regularly priced cable. They do have some kind of sale going on all the time. To me it has become their new norm in pricing. I just wait for sales now and will never pay their full retail price.

Lastly I read some VPI users were happy with the ICs provided by VPI themselves. You could have synergy right from the get go at least from TT to Phono preamp.  Does VPI not sell ICs any longer with their TTs?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:49:42 AM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »

Morrow has Used cable sales less often now than sales on regularly priced cable. They do have some kind of sale going on all the time. To me it has become their new norm in pricing. I just wait for sales now and will never pay their full retail price.

True.  There's no reason to ever pay "full price" for Morrow.  Years ago I was an early Morrow adopter. Except for PC, I use it throughout my entire rig.  I'm on his mailing list so over the years I've gotten a good feel for his marketing approach.

You can always buy on his used page at 30% off.  On top of that, he often runs an additional 20% discount.  This totals 44% off original MSRP.  He provides the  "secret code" right on his website.   :lol:  If you don't see what you want, fill out the request form.  He will sell you new at the same 44% off.

He also offers a trade-up policy available only if you bought new from him originally:  you buy new at 50% off, and give him your old cable.  So basically, you get half off on new, but are selling your old piece for zero.  

You need to do the math to figure the best economic path, trade-in vs. buy used / sell used.  To me, trade-in is viable if trading up from such a low level that it's worth little in the used market, and not worth the selling hassle.  Otherwise, if the old item is higher level and has some decent used mkt value, I'd just pay 56% on his used special, and sell the old separately. Any sale proceeds over 6% of the new item MSRP is the economic benefit of the buy / sell approach.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:03:27 AM by toobluvr »

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »
Morning,

Lastly I read some VPI users were happy with the ICs provided by VPI themselves. You could have synergy right from the get go at least from TT to Phono preamp.  Does VPI not sell ICs any longer with their TTs?

VPI still offers its phono cables as an option. They do not include them with their turntables - probably because most of their customers have phono cables already.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »
That's a very clever name, Scott, Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA.   :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »
That's a very clever name, Scott, Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA.   :thumb:

A hell of a nice man to boot. Knows his stuff and a pleasure to deal with. Welcome Scottdazzle

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
  Morrow, VPI are VG. The source is critical for ones end result. If yoo are using a MM cart then capacitance of cable must be considered to properly load the cart. An impedance of 80 Ohms seems to work well with phono cables as well.
    So think more spec than company. Then once you know what spec you desire buy the best conductor available meaning copper or silver.

charles

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »
Thanks guys. Getting back to the subject of the OP, I've tried and owned many phono cables over the years and have never used any with a better sense of air, detail, and body than the WyWires Platinum.  They're not made of platinum metal, that's just the trade name.  

Caveat: yes, I sell them but I would point out that I was a WyWires fan before I became a dealer. Alex Sventitsky, who makes them, has a phenomenal ear for music reproduction and is a really nice guy to work with, too.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired