Author Topic: Mine!  (Read 15674 times)

shep

Mine!
« on: January 25, 2007, 07:36:09 AM »
All you raving OB people, move over and make room for the rest of us!
So I have these purty transmission lines from holland (guaranteed to be the only ones in the whole of southern France!) They are the best speakers I have ever owned. Well that doesn't tell you much... the past includes two Maggies (equals 4) pro-ac sig 1, Ruark Broadsword, various in-betweens. These little beauties wipe the floor with all the above in every dept. I've never had TL's before and would welcome your fund of knowledge. Like what are the downsides and the ups? I cannot credit the amount of bass I get from tiny drivers. I don't know how they can handle mid and bass info. at the same time without getting confused and falling apart but they do.  Here they are, the steal of the century for 600$, including shipping in wooden crates. They have taken some 200 hours to break in. http://www.crafty.nl/. It's Dutch to you but the rest should be self-explanatory to old hands..

miklorsmith

Mine!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:46:33 AM »
Nice!  I've been curious about transmission lines for a while.  Bob Brines uses a burly Fostex 8" single driver that supposedly goes strongly down to 30 hz using this alignment!  He uses the Martin King design software and supposedly the final result performs way above the price point, which I'm pretty sure is under $1,000 usd.

Another big splash where folks are asking "where's the sub" is the Acoustic Zen Adagio.  These are the new Gallo Ref. 3's in the publicity department.  My buddy has a newly arrived pair but can't listen to them because his source is out for repairs.  ARRRGGHHH.  There's an audiophile nightmare if ever there was one.

I'm excited to hear the Adagios, glad you love yours.

Mine are the fully sealed Zu Definition Pros.  I love 'em and they're not going anywhere!

Outcast

Re: Mine!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:37:42 AM »
Quote from: "shep"
All you raving OB people, move over and make room for the rest of us!
So I have these purty transmission lines from holland (guaranteed to be the only ones in the whole of southern France!) They are the best speakers I have ever owned. Well that doesn't tell you much... the past includes two Maggies (equals 4) pro-ac sig 1, Ruark Broadsword, various in-betweens. These little beauties wipe the floor with all the above in every dept. I've never had TL's before and would welcome your fund of knowledge. Like what are the downsides and the ups? I cannot credit the amount of bass I get from tiny drivers. I don't know how they can handle mid and bass info. at the same time without getting confused and falling apart but they do.  Here they are, the steal of the century for 600$, including shipping in wooden crates. They have taken some 200 hours to break in. http://www.crafty.nl/. It's Dutch to you but the rest should be self-explanatory to old hands..

Is the model you own the Azumi (2W, 1st order series XO, 4Khz, TL, Heimholtz resonator)?

Merci,

Bruno

WEEZ

Mine!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:44:32 PM »
shep,

Those look like real fine speakers. I've been trying to figure out what they would cost in U.S. $'s......

WEEZ

mgalusha

Mine!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 07:25:01 PM »
Weez it looks like they are 499 Euros, according to xe.com that's $645 US plus shipping, which I'm guessing would be a lot unless you could find a US distributor. I agree, they look like very interesting speakers.

Shep, I see they have posted your review, very nice.  8)

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
Mine!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 07:29:55 PM »
Quote from: "miklorsmith"
Nice!  I've been curious about transmission lines for a while.  Bob Brines uses a burly Fostex 8" single driver that supposedly goes strongly down to 30 hz using this alignment!  He uses the Martin King design software and supposedly the final result performs way above the price point, which I'm pretty sure is under $1,000 usd.

The FTA-2000s use the Fostex F200A Alnico based drivers.  The full set of speakers go for about $1500.

For what it counts, I own a pair, out of maybe 4 or 5 that he has handcrafted for sale.  I think there will be others that are DIY.  

The FTAs are speakers that leave other commercial speakers up to 5K or more in the dust, due to their flatness in sound.  They are not peaky, midrangey, but fairly flat with a slamming low end that is rhythmicaly taut, fast and with plenty of it.  

The only drawback I see with these speakers is that you will need WAF, because they are large, imposing.  I call them the "trunks" but they are doing guard duties now, as a livingroom speaker.  

The FTAs paired with opchip amps=speed, slamm, affordability and fun.  

Bob Brines is a true artist who makes the cabinets, I think for his own passion.  I doubt he makes any money out of the venture.  I bought the DIY plans and let me tell you, they are not a walk in the park.  

The funniest thing that happened to me is that someone came to listen to them last year in my older apartment and later, the person compared them with a pair of Wideband Tannoys that went for 12k.  He liked the Tannoys better, but let me tell you, the FTA were not shabby for about 90% less.   :lol:

shep

Mine!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »
Quote from: "mgalusha"
Weez it looks like they are 499 Euros, according to xe.com that's $645 US plus shipping, which I'm guessing would be a lot unless you could find a US distributor. I agree, they look like very interesting speakers.

Shep, I see they have posted your review, very nice.  8)
Actually I thought the review was pretty lame! It was my first ever; He needed it to be short and done quickly. It's really hard to write this stuff without sounding trite 'been there, heard that". Anyway how do you describe the sound of a speaker?  I am absolutely bowled over by them. They are now past the 200hour mark and keep getting better. The sound stage increased in height and the bass in punch and clarity. The best speakers I have ever owned by a long shot. I wanted to convey their quality in the review but it didn't come across. I don't like sticking my neck out, seeing how easy it is to get chopped off, these are an incredible steal at the price, as was the Modded Trends T-10. Now I've got the fever and the new amp is ordered. Yummy!

WEEZ

Mine!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »
Nicely done, shep!

What color did you get?

shep

Mine!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 01:34:53 AM »
Wow! you mean I'm not the only one on this forum? :oops: It started so well and now everybody has gone back to AC? :twisted: Sorry but I couldn't help that...now if we started a Prometheus thread or invited the infamous Dr. G.
 :evil:
They are a gorgeous blue, sort of a deep ultramarine. They look to have been dipped in mutiple baths of a hard (automobile type?) laquer, but it's probably a spray job. Perfect, no droplets or ripples. I have no idea what the drivers are, although I think he described the tweaters somewhere (in Dutch) as being a modified version. I wouldn't mind experimenting with other caps in the Xover but I'm too lazy and anyway that would just open up a can of worms. I have enough of those wriggling around...the whole Cap. issue gives me a headache. Years ago a a friend of mine who was a total freak/modder, demonstrated the difference in sound using a variety of resistors in a pre-amp. I wish he hadn't...I remember thinking "Now I know I know, I'll never know".

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Mine!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:36:50 AM »
Nice review, shep. I want a pair! Wonder how much they would cost to get over here to the states?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

shep

Mine!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 04:16:08 AM »
I guess I'm not fair...I should temper my enthusiasm. Why? simply that the cost of shipping would be too high and put these in a range of speakers in the states which have probably as much to recommend them. So I guess this will remain a european present. Well it's not often that we have as good for less money! you lot have the creme of the crop most of the time.