Author Topic: Nola tweeter impedance readings troubleshoot  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Nola tweeter impedance readings troubleshoot
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »
Hello

I've got a Nola tweeter that stopped working. Measuring the impedance it reads at about 4ohms. The other working tweeter is less than an ohm. What is wrong with the tweeter that isn't working?

Thanks,
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

Re: Nola tweeter impedance readings troubleshoot
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 11:08:15 AM »
Ok nvm they both are at about 5 ohms.  The tweeter doesn't work and it's not in the xover because they are external xovers for the hi freq and midrange.  It's easy to move xovers to the other speaker and check.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »
Doyou have a record or CD with test tones on it? if so play a tone with a frequency that is above the tweeter xovr point and then with your voltmeter measure the voltage at the xovr inout and the HF output. This should tell you  if the xovr is passing a signal to the tweeter. If it is then measure the voltage at the teeeter terminals of the Nola. If you get signal there, pull out the tweeter and measure the voltage at the terninals on the tweeter tiself. If you have a good voltage at all theese points it wouls indicate t me that the driver itself is somehow broken. (If the tweeter cone itself has pulled away from the piston the drive may not produce sound even though you canelectrically see the impedance across the voice coil.) If you need help troubleshooting give Carl Marchisotto a call. I have found him to be very helpful and approachable. (Nola's phone number is 631-738-2540, plus whatever country codes you need to get a call from Canada to the US).
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »
Tom they use outboard xovers. I took the xover from the working tweeter and used it. The tweeter still doesn't work. The working tweeter still works trying both xovers.

And thanks  :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:03:55 PM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »
It is not blown and it hasn't opened up anywhere. It just doesn't go on.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 04:51:51 PM »
Pisser

Sounds like a rare broken tweeter. If you have 5 ohms across the tweeter terminals with crossover disconnected then the VC is OK, at least enough to move. Double check the easy stuff, like hookup wire connections in back of tweeter and in back of binding posts.

Last resort, do click test on the bare tweeter with a dry cell battery. A short click will not hurt it at all = 1/2Watt. You can use the speaker hookups and binding posts to make it easier. Reverse polarity, it should make two clicks on and off for each polarity. If not, it's an internal mechanical failure. Nola should replace it for free. You should ask about matching tweeters, either get 2 new matched tweeters, or mail in your other good tweeter to be matched with a new one.

Over the phone they will not want to believe that it is not a blown voice coil, as that is 99% of tweeter failures. Take a pic of your meter showing DCR 5ohms across the uninstalled tweeter.

Offline Werd

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 05:37:13 PM »
Pisser

Sounds like a rare broken tweeter. If you have 5 ohms across the tweeter terminals with crossover disconnected then the VC is OK, at least enough to move. Double check the easy stuff, like hookup wire connections in back of tweeter and in back of binding posts.

Last resort, do click test on the bare tweeter with a dry cell battery. A short click will not hurt it at all = 1/2Watt. You can use the speaker hookups and binding posts to make it easier. Reverse polarity, it should make two clicks on and off for each polarity. If not, it's an internal mechanical failure. Nola should replace it for free. You should ask about matching tweeters, either get 2 new matched tweeters, or mail in your other good tweeter to be matched with a new one.

Over the phone they will not want to believe that it is not a blown voice coil, as that is 99% of tweeter failures. Take a pic of your meter showing DCR 5ohms across the uninstalled tweeter.

That is interesting, I guess it doesn't matter what size dead battery it is?
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »
Dry cells make 1.25V. It will say it on the label. A new cell is OK, a "dead" cell is usually around .9V so it still has enough to make a click. Of course the lower the voltage, the safer for the tweeter VC.

If you leave the DC applied for a long time the voice coil would overheat and short, so just do a short click, not sustained DC. It's <1/2w so safe for quick clicks.

This will only work for normal voice coil speakers. I don't think that ribbons with input transformer would work, nor would it be wise to apply a big step transient to a delicate ribbon.

Probably just as easy to call Nola for replacement driver. If you burn the VC while testing you'll have to pay for the replacement.

Offline Werd

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »
Ok apparently there is a foam thing that was detached from the magnet to the VC. Took the magnet off and reattached and voila. Works! I am all that is man!   :rofl:  got lucky actually.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good.  :D

Glad to hear that you are up and running again. :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables