Author Topic: DAC PLUS with Dexa Discrete op-amp thread  (Read 24288 times)

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
Re: DAC PLUS with Dexa Discrete op-amp thread
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 06:13:30 AM »
I thought I was next? I can pick it up on the way home?
Its cool ndude.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »
Zu tour date (July 7th)

Maybe it'll work out that I can hand-deliver...

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 02:51:11 PM »
machinehead has the DAC now...

I should also point out that the DAC performed flawlessly (as expected) with my Black Cat Morpheus true 75 ohm cable...

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline machinehead

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »
Wow... Nice Dac. Listening to some Thelonius monk. Much more relaxed sound than the Nad M51. So much air up top really sweet.. Open sounding to. Plays behind the speakers almost and really wide stage.
Impressed.
Its cool ndude.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 08:04:01 PM »
The bigger question, does anybody want to buy one?  :)
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 07:16:46 AM »
The bigger question, does anybody want to buy one?  :)

Yes Bill the $64,000 question. You have a fine product priced fairly. C'mon guys make the plunge.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

drews_hifi

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 09:37:59 AM »
I would like another crack at it.

Thanks,

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 10:12:40 AM »
Pete, is that the original Veloce or newer Silverstar?

I should also point out that the DAC performed flawlessly (as expected) with my Black Cat Morpheus true 75 ohm cable...

Pete
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline machinehead

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »
Mr stereo nut, Andy has the Dac now! It is so close you can taste it!

At first I was blown away by the dexa discretes, well it's the only way I've heard the EE besides the original version. 
It's about the top and bottom.  There is tons of air and nice extension up top. Clarity was great and the sound was very clean. Bass was strong and powerful. One thing I noticed, or at least I thought is that my stereo played much louder, or maybe I was willing to turn it up. ;)

The only issue I had was that I felt the mids were recessed, or maybe overpowered by all the things happening up top. Leading edge was very pronounced, but never bright.

I found my toes tapping and want to thank Bill for his generosity in allowing his product to make the rounds!
Thanks
M
Its cool ndude.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »
Pete, is that the original Veloce or newer Silverstar?

Pete

Gene - the original Veloce... very nice!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rpf

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »
Bill (Stereonut) you have a PM.

Rob
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

drews_hifi

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
I had the EE DAC in house again for a few days and I'd like to thank Bill for the chance at another listen.

First:  The highs in the stock EE dac are rolled off- I noted that in the first audition and the difference between the stock op amp and Dexa’s up top is obvious.  With the Dexas, the highs are back.  Cymbals, strings, voices all have lots of air around them. 

The mids I found near perfect as well, with more texture and information than I’ve heard before.

But, the bottom octaves, already strong with the stock op amps, are now overdone.  I use separate amps for my woofers and sub, controlled through a digital EQ.  For the DAC Plus, I lowered the overall bass level (200Hz down) by 2db- 3db (almost half power).  Even then, bass fundamentals were too prominent, masking pitch definition. 

Examples:
Bolero (Reference Recordings), the room shook with bass drum whacks, strings and brass sounded super.  Everything was just about perfect with bass reduced -1db.

On Patricia Barber’s Cafe Blue- The EE DAC Plus did a good job of bringing the drum kit into my room.  Also, the best piano sound I have heard.  Bass lacked definition, set at -3db.

Bruce Cockburn- Clarity of Night- the Vibes never sounded realistic on my system before.  This was a revelation.  Vocals, guitar, drums, all super.  Bass reduced -2db, but could still ask for better pitch definition. 

I'd guess that frequency response with the EE DAC and either op amp is not flat- some top end roll off with the originals, and there's probably a bump around 50-100Hz with the Dexas.  With a bit of effort, I could probably eq the bass to my liking, but did not have the chance to try before sending the DAC back on tour.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »
OK my turn-

EE Minimax Plus with Dexa discrete op-amps:

For the past awhile my listening has been getting less and less critical and more about just enjoying the music (and esp. new music), so I don't have much to say about the nth degree of stage depth or separation between the 2nd and 3d cellos etc.

In comparison to my previous dac (original EE, with numerous different op-amps) I find the Plus to be a significant step up in all areas. Very non-fatiguing yet still detailed and delicate when asked.

Some have commented that the bass is a bit too much, but not for my tastes. This is what my Cherry Plus stereo amp does best - churn out subterranean bass with control and limitless ease. I find the EE dac bass to be excellent - detailed, nuanced with great pitch definition. I heard melody lines in the bass that just seemed to matter more to the overall musical passage than I remember.

About the bass balance thing - Every CD player or dac I've seen measured for the past like 20 years has been ruler flat in the bass, and we've all heard players that were either weak-kneed or powerhouses down there, so I don't know where that difference comes from. It'd be interesting to see measurements of this dac w/ the Dexas to see if they really are adding something.

I have no complaints w/ the mids or highs, although I could see how the powerful bass, if you aren't used to it or is not your cup of tea, could seem to make the midrange slightly recessed. I'd just call it smooth and anyway who wants digital midrange that is overdone/too present, anyway? Not me...

I haven't pulled the tube yet (hope it's OK with Bill since it's on the safe side of "Won't void the warranty"). Maybe tonight but with the damn (but blessed) AC running it kinda ruins critical sessions.

Do I want one?  I had always planned on getting this same version, w/ the Dexas, to replace my original, and hearing this unit has confirmed this belief. But alas some big car repairs (anyone smitten with an older E46 BMW can tell ya' - Oh, but how it handled on the Blue Ridge Parkway last weekend...) have put me in a little pinch. But we'll see...
The $$ I got for the original has somehow been absorbed back into the general coffers (something about "Audio Statute of Limitations"  :rofl:)

Still do want, though.

Thanks Bill for the generous tour. I've had the unit for a few weeks and plan on bringing it to Deepak's for the Zu Party on the 7th. Hope that's OK with everyone.

-How to sum up. It's a great dac that allows you to listen to the music and not the gear. Corny and overused yes, but true IMO.

Oh - all impressions are of the SS output - Still like the increased info that comes through - less tube editorializing.

-Mike

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »
So you prefer the SS over the tube output Mike? Any comparison thoughts? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

NickS

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »
OK my turn-

EE Minimax Plus with Dexa discrete op-amps:

Mike,

What were you using for a digital source for the EE DAC Plus?