Author Topic: (Sort of) New Speaker from SP Technology  (Read 17243 times)

Double Ugly

Re: (Sort of) New Speaker from SP Technology
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 08:13:52 PM »
When Bob listed the specs, he indicated 87db sensitive. In an answer to a poster's question, he indicated 84db sensitive. Wonder which one it is....

I spoke to Bob tonight and he messed-up, pure and simple.  A single Mini is 87dB sensitivity and a stereo pair is 90dB sensitivity.  For whatever reason, Bob was thinking 2m back instead of 1m, and 84db is what you'll get with a stereo pair @ 2m.

If you re-read Bob's post, I suspect you'll find it edited to reflect the above.

Hope they sound good, I just ordered a pair tonight.

Lin :D

I doubt you'll be disappointed, Lin, but I suspect a bunch of us are interested in your take.

If they're as good as the Timepieces - only smaller - one could purchase an HT set-up complete with one of Bob's Infra-Wave subwoofers at a steal of a price and never look back!   :shock:

The appearance of the Mini actually made me question whether or not I should continue the quest for Revelations, at least from a financial perspective.  Then I remembered how good they sounded, even 3 iterations ago, and all was right with the world again.  :D

-Jim

PS - Hey Chris,

When are you getting your 2.0s updated?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 08:44:27 PM »
PS - Hey Chris,

When are you getting your 2.0s updated?

Well.....Mike/topround mentioned to me that I should get in touch with Bob about some piece (throats) that  retro fit the new tweeter to the waveguide ....saying he's running low on them...not many left. So.....I guess the upgrade would be a new tweeter and the new crossover's. I'm not going to change the woofer....I like it, good bass...reminds me of a guitar cabinet I use to have...same type of aluminum cone speakers..... :lol:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:31:07 AM by lonewolfny42 »

Double Ugly

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 08:10:34 AM »
I'm not going to change the woofer....I like it, good bass...reminds me of a guitar cabinet I use to have...same type of aluminum cone speakers..... :lol:

I'm not sure there's anything additional to be had with the black woofers anyway.  I want to believe they're a little more articulate, but the truth is the only thing I'm sure about is that they look cooler!  :lol:

The black woofers will soon disappear anyway.  Bob's stock is almost gone, and I doubt he'll ever have them build another batch.  They cost waaaaaaaaay too much to justify the little perceived gain they afford, especially if the only real gain is the aesthetics department.

Offline miniminim

• Seeking Help
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »
When Bob listed the specs, he indicated 87db sensitive. In an answer to a poster's question, he indicated 84db sensitive. Wonder which one it is....
I wondered the same thing, then an edit was made to Bob's response which indicated he meant 84 dB at 2 meters. I would have expected a sensitivity figure of no more than 84 dB when measured the same way as the Timepiece 2.1 is measured which, as I understand it, is the most conservative way possible, resisting the urge to pad the numbers at each of the 2 common junctures:
sensitivity is quoted
1. singly, rather than per pair
2. anechoically, rather than in-room
If the numbers were derived from in-room measurements of a pair, they would be 6dB higher, as I understand it.
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=43286.10

WEEZ

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 02:16:45 PM »
Please don't mis-understand, y'all...I was just curious. I've read the edited post, thanks DU and miniminim.

I'm really fond of 2-way speakers. Only owned one pair of 3-ways briefly in my 37 years at this...and went back to 2-ways. I'm anxious to read what Lin has to say when he receives his. Lin, what amp will you be using?

WEEZ

Double Ugly

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
I wondered the same thing, then an edit was made to Bob's response which indicated he meant 84 dB at 2 meters.
Yep.  See my post above.

I would have expected a sensitivity figure of no more than 84 dB when measured the same way as the Timepiece 2.1 is measured which, as I understand it, is the most conservative way possible, resisting the urge to pad the numbers at each of the 2 common junctures:
sensitivity is quoted
1. singly, rather than per pair
2. anechoically, rather than in-room
If the numbers were derived from in-room measurements of a pair, they would be 6dB higher, as I understand it.
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=43286.10
If there's a more stringent approach to measurements, I've no doubt Bob is tenacious in his adherence to it.  :?

What you say makes sense, though.  I know the Timepieces respond very positively to additional power (or more accurately, more current), but some are quite happy driving them with as little as 50 WPC (click here for Bob's anecdote about same).  That wouldn't have happened with the old Timepiece 2.0s IMHO, which says a lot about the improvements Bob has made to the crossovers in these 85dB monsters.

Please don't mis-understand, y'all...I was just curious. I've read the edited post, thanks DU and miniminim.
You're welcome, WEEZ. 

FWIW, I didn't perceive malevolence in your post, just curiosity.  I trust I didn't convey otherwise in my response.

Regards,

-Jim

opnly bafld

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 08:15:54 PM »
I will try Monarchy Audio SE160 monoblocks (tube/mosfet) hot rodded with 200w/ch 8 ohms,
an Electron Kinetics Eagle 2 (SS) with 120w/ch 8 ohms,
and possibly a Magnum Audio IA200(100w/ch integrated) or MF160 (80?w/ch basic amp).
The first 2 amps are supposed to double their output into 4 ohms, so hopefully current will not be a problem.

Lin

PS I might also try them with my McAlister Audio SE32 tube amp, but at 15w/ch I don't really expect it to have enough juice.
Might prove to be a good late night (shhhh :-$ ) combo though.

WEEZ

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 05:40:50 AM »
Look forward to the report :)