Author Topic: Active Designs  (Read 1999 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Active Designs
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
Any experience here?

I'd like to keep the discussion limited to designs that use one amp (channel) connected to one driver. 

My single driver speakers by default are active (and use mono blocks wired directly to the drivers - speaker posts removed).

I've heard several studio monitors but haven't been impressed as they are low cost and are intended for professional accuracy versus home enjoyment.

But I did experience an epiphany about 12 years ago auditioning Paradigm Active 20 ($1600/pair 2-way standmounts) vs their Studio 20 ($800/pair 2-way stand mounts).  Both used similar cabinet with the same drivers.  No comparison.  The Actives were incredibly dynamic, ruler flat frequency response, and unbelievably deep/full bass. 

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Active Designs
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:00:45 AM »
Just a hint.  There are a few active designs meant for home use, most are open baffles.  The Orions come to my mind first.

I specified one amplification channel per driver because there is some confusion of what an active driver might be.  Some designs, like the Audioengine 5 use a single amp for woofer and tweeter and so loses much of the "truly active" advantages.