Author Topic: SP Tech Speakers  (Read 17507 times)

Christof

SP Tech Speakers
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:42:23 PM »
I just switched out a pair of Abby with farfield drivers for a pair of SP Tech Timepiece 2.1's.  I need to live with them a bit before I feel comfortable posting a review but I will say that in the 2 days that I've had them in my system I am absolutely amazed.  These are Apples to Oranges with the Abby's so it is not fair to make comparisons b/t the two however I will say that my system has been taken to a new level.

Any other SP Tech owners here?

Black Sand Cable

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:45:22 PM »
Double Ugly will be along any minute now..... :D

lonewolfny42

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:22:44 PM »
Quote from: "Black Sand Cable"
He's not the only one John.... :lol:

They REALLY are great speakers !!!

Chris.....You have the perfect room.....big.....because they project a big sound....and oh, that bass....nice. I hope you play them for others to hear....because very few have heard them. Enjoy !!!! :wink:

Chris

Double Ugly

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 07:17:29 AM »
Quote from: "Black Sand Cable"
I might know someone who owns a pair...or two.   :oops:

Congrats, Chris.  I'm sure they're going to make you happy for years to come.  I know my search has ended.

-Jim

lonewolfny42

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 08:57:08 AM »
I might know someone who owns a pair...or two.
Gonna be three pairs soon....right Jim ?  8)

A few "inaccuracies" concerning the TP's :

Their bookshelf speakers .....right ?

I wonder if they can play loud and not fall apart ?

Narrow sound stage....right ?

Guess you need a sub for better bass ?

Chris......any comments on the above ?

Double Ugly

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 12:06:24 PM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
Yep!  :D

I guess that would depend on the size of your bookshelves.  :lol:

:D

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Only in a concert hall... or maybe a room as gigantic as Chris'.

It really will be interesting to see how they work in a room that large.  They will fill an 'average' size room w/ ease IME, but Chris' situation may necessitate one (or two :shock:) of Bob's new subwoofers.

THAT I'd like to hear!  :D

Yeah, whaddaya have to say, Chris?  Are Wolfy and I nuts?

WEEZ

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 03:04:31 PM »
Those new crossover networks look HUGE. Are they mounted external to the cabinet? Wow.

WEEZ!

Double Ugly

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 05:48:50 PM »
Quote from: "WEEZ"
Those new crossover networks look HUGE. Are they mounted external to the cabinet? Wow.

WEEZ!
Bob will provide external crossovers if requested, but the standard configuration is internal.  Their size just might be part of the reason these 'bookshelf' speakers are larger than some floorstanders.  :lol:

What's so cool to me is that I can't hear the crossover at all.  I seem to be particularly sensitive to them - usually I can even detect crossovers referred to as small or simple - and the fact that I couldn't hear something that big was very surprising.

-Jim

WEEZ

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 06:21:09 PM »
DU,

Yup. Crossovers make or break a speaker. I just couldn't get over the size of those caps and that big ass inductor :shock: Holy sh*t.

:)

WEEZ

lonewolfny42

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 09:25:11 PM »
Don....
Have you heard any SP Tech speakers ?

Double Ugly

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 10:09:46 PM »
DU,

Yup. Crossovers make or break a speaker. I just couldn't get over the size of those caps and that big ass inductor :shock: Holy sh*t.

:)

WEEZ
Ha!  If you think the size of the crossovers is amazing, you ought to come down sometime and hear them!  

You're just a 5-hour drive away from sonic paradise... :wink:

Christof

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 10:49:25 PM »

I'm still getting to know my new Timepiece speakers so I can't really comment too much on the sound yet.  In addition, I have replaced almost every component in my system in the last couple mos so it's hard to tell what is doing what but I must say I have some serious synergy going on.  

In a nut shell, the Timepieces exceed my expectations.  I have a very large open room and the Timepieces do a fantastic job filling this space.  They certainly push the envelope for bieng called "bookshelf", if you would even call them that.  Aligning them onto stands borders on a two person operation.  As for Bass, I must confess I do long a little bit for bass down to the high teens but it is unrealistic to expect these speaker to deliver that, especially given my room size.  The Timepieces do a fantastic job at cleanly reproducing bass down to what I feel must be 25ish in my room and the Seas Aluminum driver rolls off nice and gracefully.  I do think SP Tech has com up with a solution for those of us who want to feel 19Hz without getting into Revelation prices and I very well might jump on one of those monster subs in the near future but for now I feel quite content.  

I feel that the price of the Timepieces is very fair and I can say honestly that this is one of two audio purchases I made in my life where I'm not walking away with even a hint of buyers remorse (amplifiers from Odyssey being the other).

lonewolfny42

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 10:59:10 PM »
Thanks Chris.....now to work on the speaker cables and interconnects....they DO make a difference. Happy listening..... :wink:

WEEZ

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 05:09:00 AM »
LW,

Nope. But as DU says, I'm a 5+ hour drive away from the opportunity, which I might do in the near future. :)

WEEZ

lonewolfny42

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 07:36:09 AM »
LW,

Nope. But as DU says, I'm a 5+ hour drive away from the opportunity, which I might do in the near future. :)

WEEZ
That sounds good Don !! Jim has a very fine system....will show off the SP Tech's well.

Chris