Author Topic: Squeezebox Inguz Plugin  (Read 13637 times)

miklorsmith

Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:06:57 PM »
Rock on!

Yeah, that Inguz EQ is smokin' cool.  I put up a thread on Slimdevices and got NO support.  The thread's gone again.

Wanna start another, Rich?  We can get it some mo and maybe SD will step up.  They don't realize how great such a thing would be as a native feature.  We'd get them to build a full parametric!  6 bands should be plenty.   :D

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 04:21:47 PM »
Yeah, it is cool. Link me to a thread and I will pile on like a bulldog. Probably some of the "not invented here" attitude involved. Maybe they would have to pay the author if they made it native, since slimserver is free but has no other purpose than to power their hardware products sold for profit - might violate GNU license to roll it into slimserver.

I wish I had a laptop to scan the rooms for correction. It is such a pain to haul the Dell tower and 17 CRT monitor around just to scan a room. Extreme motivation is required.

miklorsmith

Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:27:22 PM »
I wish I had a laptop to scan the rooms for correction. It is such a pain to haul the Dell tower and 17 CRT monitor around just to scan a room. Extreme motivation is required.
    Ha Ha!  Good one.

My thought was to have SD write their own - no knock on Hugh as his primary solution is light years beyond the simple EQ.  In my room, that's all I need though.

I'll start another thread.  I can't believe how short of a time the other one lasted - seriously only a couple of weeks and it was past their 3-page limit.

I'll let you know when I get it up there Rich.  People just don't seem to understand it's like the . . . best . . . thing . . . ever.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 04:45:22 PM »
The other thing with that plugin is that it is much more of a memory and CPU hog than the native SlimServer is.  You can run SlimServer with pretty much any old thing.  I have SlimServer running on an old Sony VAIO that works wonderfully as long as I don't run the plugin.  With it, it's a stuttering mess.  Granted the old machine is only 1.8GHz and only 512 Meg RAM but still...  I've heard a lot of other people say that with the plugin, they have a lot of issues on older CPUs and systems. 

I've just this afternoon finished building my new music server which should have plenty of horsepower to do the job so I'll be trying it out. 

New System:

AMD 2350BE 64 bit dual core (low power usage version of the 4000 x2)
2 Gig Crucial Ballistix 4-4-4-12 800 MHz RAM
4 x 500 Gig Hard Disks in a RAID 5 array (1.4 TB formatted)
Heatpipe motherboard (no fans for north and south bridge)
Fanless HIS video board

If I have ANY issues running the plugin on that system, then there's a problem.  It wouldn't surprise me to have issues with an older machine.  Buffering and real-time modification of a continuous stream of data like that (especially one that is already FLAC encoded) takes some hardware.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
Was that with room correction enabled, or just the parametric?  I think the parametric is MUCH easier on compupower.

Offline richidoo

Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 05:35:44 PM »
Thats a good point Bry. I'm sure that's why my puter takes 15 seconds to register the EQ change mid stream. Even playing a song takes a lot longer to begin when played through Inguz. Filling the buffer I guess. The target market for SB would not tolerate such slow response, nor would they be willing to upgrade their P3 Celerons "just to play music"    Hahaha

It will be interesting to look at performance monitor while it is streaming with the plug in working 5-6 filters at once.

But your music 'puter sounds very interesting! Especially the quiet cooling. Admit it, you're gonna be playing Halo on there, aren't you?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 06:45:43 PM »
Nope - no halo for me - sorry.  Not a gamer I'm afraid.  This machine is going to stay virgin.  Solitaire and Minesweeper aren't even on there.  No MS office, no nothing. 

My understanding of the app is that the room correction is just to set up the parametric.  Even with a para, you're still modifying the stream in real-time the way I understand it. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 07:54:07 PM »
The stream is modified, but the insane number of calculations needed for all the DRC corrections isn't there with the parametric, so my sorry brain understands it.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 05:44:14 AM »
Just a quick note... You may want to link back to this thread from the Slim forum so people can continue their conversation when the Slim thread gets canned.  I didn't understand what Inguz was until I read this... Could help others...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

Re: Squeezebox Inguz Plugin
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 05:57:48 AM »
I split this topic off from "An experiment"

I will muster up some "extreme enthusiasm" in the next day or two to get the main room and the hut scanned so I can try the RC aspect of Inguz. I think it will be easier than other RTA programs.

Unlike Tact or DEQX there is no time delay for correcting phase stuff. Like Bryan said, it just tweeks the 6 EQs more precisely than possible by ear.

Hugh had some posts here a while back, maybe he can jump in if we get into deeper waters. I think there were a couple others playing with the plugin here on AN too.

miklorsmith

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 10:58:50 AM »
Parametric thread back up at SD here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38739

Please anyone, show some support for this - it's a huge, untapped function for anybody using a Squeezebox or Transporter

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 11:41:41 AM »
I was thinking you were posting more of a how-to for Inguz... and what to do to get started.... Sort of a comprehensive intro and discussion...  I'm just not sure if there are many Slim Devices customers that are in the upper stratosphere of this hobby.  The only people that will understand the value of Inguz is folks like us. 

I've posted some thoughts on Hydrogen forums and the folks there are mostly listening through computer speakers, some mid-fi, no room acoustics, no setup calculations, etc.  There may be 1% that has hifi and/or room treatments.  I would think Slim's customer base is similar-ish at least.  They may not see the value in room correction when they don't know what that is, does, or means.... So, that could be the traction-loss... dunno.. but wish more people DID know what this was all about so they could benefit from it... and I hope your efforts help people find a nicer sounding system. :)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 11:48:38 AM »
Their "Audiophiles" forum has quite a few folks, SOME of them should be interested.