Author Topic: Inexpensive Brands That You Would Recommend  (Read 3148 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Inexpensive Brands That You Would Recommend
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:09:32 PM »
   I'd start with Peachtree, Cambridge, NAD, Rotel, Audio Note Kits and iFi for components.
   For speakers Monitor, ELAC, Maggie [ limited models] and last but not least Pioneer.
   Cables Radio Shack, Belden and Canare.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Inexpensive Brands That You Would Recommend
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »
<$100 borderline high end digital source: Raspberry Pi + HifiBerry DAC + free software

<$500 truly high end amplifier: Neurochrome Modulus-86 kit

High end speakers? No, you still have to pay up for those.  :rofl:

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:35:37 PM »
The project Debut Carbon is a hell of a lot of turntable for $399, including and Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge and a dustcover!
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
I'll try posting again..

For speakers I agree on the ELAC line. If you can find them the Tannoy Mercury line.

For amps/integrateds I like the NAD suggestion. I'd also add the Outlaw RR2150.

Budget CD Player: my favorite is the Marrantz CD-5004

Cabling: Belden (Blue Jeans Cable) or Mogami

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-650

Budget streamer: Bluesound Node?

Budget standalone DAC: Schiit BiFrost. Real budget Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Isolation: Edensound bearpaws

Power Cord: MAC (My Audio Cables)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »
Looking for a small amp for desktop, kitchen, bedroom or porch?    Parts Express sells the Dayton Audio DTA-1 (15w) and DTA-120 (60w) class T amps at amazingly good prices.   I'm using a DTA-120 in the dining room coupled with a Squeezebox and a DTA-1 attached to my computer and iFi DAC.   No, not audiophile quality, but sounds pretty good and very small footprint.   

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:25:14 PM »
Looking for a small amp for desktop, kitchen, bedroom or porch?    Parts Express sells the Dayton Audio DTA-1 (15w) and DTA-120 (60w) class T amps at amazingly good prices.   I'm using a DTA-120 in the dining room coupled with a Squeezebox and a DTA-1 attached to my computer and iFi DAC.   No, not audiophile quality, but sounds pretty good and very small footprint.
I experienced the same with the DTA-120. I used it primarily to break in speaker cables and speakers in a burn in specific set-up. When I listened to music with it in my music enjoyment systems it was so so. Like what was stated a good unit for the kitchen or porch set-up.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 02:15:20 PM »
The Auralic Aries Mini is a great deal, especially now with Roon. A friend has AN dac that was assembled free for him. Am very impressed with the sound.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 12:41:36 PM »
  The best inexpensive way to make your system sound better costs $6. A sixpack.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 06:54:47 PM »
The Auralic Aries Mini is a great deal, especially now with Roon. A friend has AN dac that was assembled free for him. Am very impressed with the sound.

I was very impressed with the Mini when I was shopping around for a streamer and at the time it even came with a free year of Tidal. But unfortunately the interface software would only run on Apple devices which made it a non-starter for me.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 08:36:03 AM »
I would recommend:

Parasound:  Halo  A21 stereo amp, JC1 Mono Blocks, JC2BP Pre Amp. All are very reasonably priced, very well reviewed by TAS and AS and punch well above their price points.

Golden Ear speakers: All are very reasonably priced, very well reviewed by TAS and AS and punch well above their price points.

Oppo 205 BR/SACD player:  Great price for all the features. Two separate digital sections, one for stereo and one for Dolby 7.1. A great unit for the price.

Border Patrol DAC: That little box makes some great music. Clean, very musical and no coloration. It punches way above its price point.

Triode Wire Lab Cables: Very reasonably priced and they sound and perform great. They punch way above their price points.

PI Audio Buss's: Very reasonably priced and they sound and perform great. They punch way above their price points.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:39:42 AM by jessearias »
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »
You are all forgetting one thing. Inexpensive to us is expensive to other mere mortals. Most people think spending $500 on a complete system (speakers, amp, cables, source) is a lot of money.

Best bang for the buck are one of those small chip amps, like the SMSL SA-36A for about $50 (https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-36A-TPA3118D2-Amplifier-Black/dp/B017W13OR0)

Then add a Hi-Fi ME DIY Android Sabre DAC that plugs right into the music stored on your android phone for about $30 any one of the others they offer (https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs)

Pick up some old speakers at a garage sale and use an old extension cord for cabling and you've got a system for about $100.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.