Author Topic: Tube Dealers  (Read 29229 times)

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Re: Tube Dealers
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
Rich,
 Picked it up from my buddy in Arizona, 2002 C5 28,500 miles,ceramic headers,custom stainless steel exhaust, custom wheels, air induction aftermarket, all for 20K. I had it shipped up so not to put on any miles. Of course I ripped out that Bose system,dyna-matted the inside, dropped in about 3.5K into the audio system.
 Every time I turn the key it puts a big smile on my face. A bit impractical for a over-weight 60 year old as it is my driver but I grew up with a lot of muscle cars in my youth, they weren't mine but my best man at my wedding owned some of the finest cars ever produced for sheer speed. This deal came along as Frank was one of my audio customers  and we have visited a few times over the years and I consider him one of my best friends.I just picked up the vanity plate TUBES. LOL
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:21:15 AM by Bill O'Connell »
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

mlee

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »
If you are in the New York City area, I got my start through Paul Mah - personal and reliable service and reasonable prices - dealing primarily in signal and driver tubes.

Russian_Glass

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 06:37:11 AM »
"Don't worry, once Chinese pirates realize the world needs more 6H30-DR they will fill the demand. I wish I was joking - but even odds that it will sound as good as the original Russian. They are getting very good now, I mean legit Chinese tube mfgs, not the pirates who just relabel junk tubes." - Rich
It depends on the distributor.  The Chinese ARE getting better about manufacture, but their shipping and quality-control is sub-standard, leaving it to companies like PSVane and Grant Fidelity to sort out the best ones. (Even then, they still can't match the quality of pre-Perestroika Russian manufacture.

For Russian tubes, Denys Andreievich and Anton Zverev are the only tube vendors I can consistently recommend. I DO have some small quantities of good NOS/tested Russian tubes here in the states I part with from time to time, (but don't bother asking about DR's - I have switched to 6N6π's and never looked back myself).

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »
The new Telefunken E88cc/6922, from JJ, is absolutely world class, unbelievably quiet, and what I use in my
test phono stage. I would not use any other tube in my phono. It is touchy to design around compared to other tubes,
so beware.

http://store.t-funk.com/p/e88cc-tk-6922-vacuum-tube?pp=24

I have not tried any of the other Telefunken types being manufactured, they are expensive. If they got the distortion down as they have the small signal types, they could be really really nice.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:39:12 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 08:25:03 PM »
The new Telefunken E88cc/6922, from JJ, is absolutely world class, unbelievably quiet, and what I use in my
test phono stage. I would not use any other tube in my phono. It is touchy to design around compared to other tubes,
so not necessarily for every one.

I have not tried any of the other Telefunken types being manufactured, they are expensive. If they got the distortion down as they have the small signal types, they could be really really nice.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,
Had you offered a phono stage before when your business was active or is this a new venture nowadays?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:49:06 PM »
so not necessarily for every one.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,
Had you offered a phono stage before when your business was active or is this a new venture nowadays?
Nick

I never offered, thought there was not alot of demand. It is something I have tinkered around with since before the company's beginnings. It has some 36db gain, within 0,5% tolerance capacitors using my Tektronix cap meter, adjustable 3180us time constant. So it is not really high gain, but the Acutex 320 STR cartridge works really great. I would like to up the gain a little more though, sometime.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:02:15 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Guy 13

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Audio should be simple !
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »
Hi all.
I bought a few tubes from Tubedepot and was satisfied with their service.

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 10:25:38 AM »
Just found this tube site. Sells tubes other goodies.

https://vacuumtubevalues.com/

cheers

steve

SAS Test Phono Stage