Author Topic: NEC LCD Display help  (Read 4368 times)

djdube525

NEC LCD Display help
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:15:22 PM »
My wife has an NEC 46" Accusync display that's being used for digital signage at her venue.

The monitor started to act up 3 months off warranty (need to check which CC I used... may have put it on the AMEX which *may* have extended the warranty. 

With that said... I thought I'd try and see if someone here would have a suggestion. The symptoms:

- The remote control can power on the monitor. Once on, the remote does not work and the picture is blank. Note: The same remote does work with another NEC monitor that is not exhibiting these issues
- They called NEC and they suggested a hard reset (unplug the monitor and keep it unplugged for 30s)
- When the monitor powers on, a series of white blocks will pop up randomly on the screen. The rate at which the white blocks appear on the screen decrease until at some point a red line forms across the screen. The red line then remains on the screen.
- Repeating the hard reset process results in the same behavior.

Not sure what to try... NEC suggested taking it to a local authorized repair place that wants $125 to diagnose the issue. They'll refund the $$$ if they fix the problem. I would suspect the "fix" would mean replacing one of the internal boards which would mean big $$$. At least big enough where it would likely cost about the same to buy a new one.

I did mention for them to try the other inputs... Although, when there is nothing connected, the same white block sequence starts (It's possible they didn't manually change the input though).

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: NEC LCD Display help
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »
Sounds like you need a new controller board of some sort.  I'd ask the repair guy a couple of what if's.. What would it cost if it's the board.. what if it's the display itself.. And/or I'd ask for a worse case and best case scenario pricewise.  Maybe bargain with him that if it's over $X to fix, you'd like to pay half the diagnostic fee.

Good luck!
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: NEC LCD Display help
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:34:57 PM »
Has the white block thing always been there from cold boot? If not sounds like brains fried. Check with Amex, that program works good, no BS if it's eligible.

You could try putting tape over the red line so you won't see it.   aa