Author Topic: What do you think about this method of power conditioning?  (Read 3446 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
What do you think about this method of power conditioning?
« on: July 12, 2016, 07:03:49 AM »
I was looking up some information on the California Audio Show and found this site as a sponsor. I have never heard of them or some of the brands they carry. I thought I would scan through their site to see what they make and/or carry and saw this power conditioner they were selling. They state it is a John Curl/Jack Bybee  design.

Just wondering what the gurus here think of the Curl/Bybee way of building a power conditioner. I can't figure out how to paste images to this post, so you will have to do without for now.

FROM THE WELLS AUDIO WEBSITE

Meet "Looking Glass"

$1999.00 and $5500.00 USD

Power conditioners should do only one thing and that is to simply eliminate noise without removing dynamics and tonal color. Nearly all currently available power line conditioners on the market fail miserably to accomplish this seemingly simple task.  Following in the footsteps of such monumental successes such as the Innamorata amplifier and the Majestic integrated amplifier as well as the standard setting Headtrip headphone amplifier comes the "Looking Glass" series of power line conditioners. The "Looking Glass" conditioners following our philosophy of "simplicity in design but meticulous in execution" is passive in design. This eliminates the dynamics robbing of regenerative conditioners.

At the heart of our conditioners we use a circuit developed by John Curl and Jack Bybee as it's main filtering technology. This circuit employs a series of filtering caps and also contains a "gas module" that breaks the circuit when it senses an overcurrent condition. Once the condition has passed the gas within the module reforms and once again becomes conductive allowing the conditioner to once again function normally. The specially designed outlets have phosphor bronze contacts (the best sounding material for audio contacts), all wiring is sourced directly from the wire manufacturer and is proprietary. Wire insulation is teflon.

In the Reference we go even further with the installation of a Bybee Module and employment of exclusive OEM Bybee Crystal technology as well as a Furatech IEC. All conductive components receive cryogenic treatment. The "Looking Glass" power line conditioners will improve the sound of your system dramatically. Dynamics will be explosive, the soundstage the largest, separation the greatest and bass the most prodigious your have ever experienced through your system. Don't take our word for it, ask for a demonstration today!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:13:27 AM by jessearias »
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: What do you think about this method of power conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
John Curl and Jack Bybee are gurus and leaders in the industry.  Who can forget the Vendetta Research SCP-2A and the wildly misrepresented but very effective Purifiers?

A few observations concerning the their effort for Wells Audio.

Build: great semi-techie visual architecture and executed.

The gas discharge tube comprised the first stage of my triple stage BUSS-Stop.  Very quiet and transparent, but a little short on protection in real world operations.  I used other devices to back up the GDT.  I like 'em.

8300 series MRI nonmagnetic 20A rated receptacles w/isolated ground.

Oil-filled AC rated motor run style capacitor bypassed with looks like VHG film caps and bleeder resistors. This maintains dynamics.  Check

Two thing struck me as odd:  1 - daisy chained instead of star wiring to the receptacles

All of the apparent filtration is done by the Bybee module with no individual traps on the receptacle.

I want to hear this guy, but certainly not enough to buy one.

I suspect that it come down to my PFC network vs. the Wells' and the Bybee Floobie Dust module and my Simply Majik Poo-Poo in the brick.  I think that Jack Bybee has gotten some bad press because of his marketing agent and their approach to marketing styles.  Some of the ad copy reads like ju-ju from beyond and that is a tad of putting to me.

Bybee gear is quite good.  Seems like the Wells would be, too.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe