Author Topic: Pics of the room after some changes  (Read 11378 times)

musicfile

Pics of the room after some changes
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:11:12 PM »
Here's a few pics of the room
I'm still not sure about speaker postioning will play with this
To recap the system used to be on the long wall I Reoriented the system 90 degrees
I'm hearing more indirect sound then before the Lf is much bettter but would like to hear a bit more highs and depth

My listening chair not pictured goes underneath the stair case

Any comments or opinions appreciated

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:22:23 PM by musicfile »

evan1

Re: Pics of the room after some changes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 01:56:47 PM »
First, I would love to hear the speakers. Forget the name though. Any pics of when they were on the long wall ? I would think in that nook you would be getting alot of reflected sound. How far away is that staircase ? I don't know if its a good idea to be seated under there. Post a pic of the left side of the room.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »
Beautiful system!! What kind of speakers are they?

I am afraid of that alcove behind the speakers. It will act like a big parabolic horn shooting back at you. But that might be just the EQ that you need for perfection.

You are making the best of a difficult room. You will learn so much about acoustics by fixing that room. I'm really impressed by your efforts and commitment!

Check out REW software for measuring FR sweep and echo duration. It will either help a lot with acoustics or put you in the funny farm once and for all!  :thumb:
Rich

musicfile

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
Here's a pic of the old speaker postioning

I am getting a bit of echo but the sound is quite good
The soundstaging has improved and i'm hearing more of the recordings
The speakers are the Ridge Street Sason's

Thanks for looking and providing input

musicfile

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
First, I would love to hear the speakers. Forget the name though. Any pics of when they were on the long wall ? I would think in that nook you would be getting alot of reflected sound. How far away is that staircase ? I don't know if its a good idea to be seated under there. Post a pic of the left side of the room.
Hi Evan
If you're ever in Canada Toronto give me a shout
I am getting some reflected sound but so far it's not so much of a bad thing  :thumb:
The staircase wall is 12 feet away from the front wall
I've tried sitting in front of the wall and directly underneath it the sound is different and depending on the music you are listening to it you may prefer either one
I will try to post a pic of the left side

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:53:38 PM »
Did you ever consider a non symmetric layout, where your listening seat is kinda in the center of the speakers in this pic:

and the speakers are over near the red couch and brown chair. The advantage to that might be getting more space around the speakers and you further away from them. The disadvantage would be wall echos coming at different times, and different EQ flavors from the different space shapes behind the speakers. Your treatments can reduce some of that flavoring. Is there enough room to twist diagonally like that?

Judging by your attention to detail I'm sure you already considered every possibility, but sometimes angled setup is not unintuitive. But sometimes it can work.

musicfile

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
Did you ever consider a non symmetric layout, where your listening seat is kinda in the center of the speakers in this pic:

and the speakers are over near the red couch and brown chair. The advantage to that might be getting more space around the speakers and you further away from them. The disadvantage would be wall echos coming at different times, and different EQ flavors from the different space shapes behind the speakers. Your treatments can reduce some of that flavoring. Is there enough room to twist diagonally like that?

Judging by your attention to detail I'm sure you already considered every possibility, but sometimes angled setup is not unintuitive. But sometimes it can work.
Hi Rich

I did consider this the issue here is my ceiling is very low and I don't think this would work as well as having the speakers on the short wall

I want to experiment a bit with difffusion and see if this improves things
btw where do I get REW program you mentioned
I also wanted to do some ECT Tests

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
Here's the REW link
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
It is very powerful, but pretty easy to use. What are ECT tests?

Maybe just twisting it by 10 degrees, move the right speaker out into the room 6 inches, and move your chair to the left a couple feet. That will get your right ear away from the right wall, if after a while you start to "feel" it there.

Another thing I just noticed, is the two small parallel facing walls just behind the speakers. They will make a slap echo that will ring very long. They are a small surface, but they are right close to the speakers so the signal will be strong. And the nook may amplify it toward you. If your floor tiles are 1 foot, then those walls are 9.5' apart and the echo frequency will be 1425Hz, upper midrange, ears are very sensitive to that. But it's high enough freq that 1" panel or some soft art will kill it.  By the looks of your neat decorated room, there is likely a wife lurking, she can find some cool tapestry wall arts for you!

musicfile

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
ETC stands for energy time curve
this is a great article to read
Acoustic Measurement Standards for Stereo Listening Room
Written by Jeff Hedback and Nyal Mellor

I need to digest what you wrote further and try to implement where possible

Thanks again Rich

Pat
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:29:45 PM by musicfile »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »

musicfile

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
That looks like a juicy read. Thanks!

http://blog.acousticfrontiers.com/storage/AMS%20for%20Stereo%20List.%20Rms.pdf
Rich have a read and let me know what you get out of it

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »
Got it in my "Check it out" favorite folder. ;)

musicfile

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 07:02:30 AM »
Well after a few weeks of playing with the system
I moved the speakers approx 1 foot forward removed the hanging absorber on the left side and placed it in the Left corner next to the door

By making these two changes the speakers have opened up the soundstaging is WIDER. Overall depth has increased
Imaging is has taken a small step backwards but so far I really like what i'm hearing

I thought that by removing the speakers from the cove the sound would deteoriate
Im really scratching my head now what sounds good on paper vs listening  :o

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
Well after a few weeks of playing with the system
I moved the speakers approx 1 foot forward removed the hanging absorber on the left side and placed it in the Left corner next to the door

By making these two changes the speakers have opened up the soundstaging is WIDER. Overall depth has increased
Imaging is has taken a small step backwards but so far I really like what i'm hearing

I thought that by removing the speakers from the cove the sound would deteoriate
Im really scratching my head now what sounds good on paper vs listening  :o

Good news , however you made the quote of the century. " What sounds good on paper vs listening".
  BRILLANT !!!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

musicfile

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »
Thanks
It goes to show you proof is not always in the makeup of the pudding.  Execution is Key  :thumb:

Trust your ears my friends
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:50:24 AM by musicfile »