Author Topic: Raise that Sub.  (Read 11321 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Raise that Sub.
« on: August 31, 2007, 07:56:50 AM »
ACS tube trap states that raising your sub off the floor results in better Bass reproduction. They further say that you should raise the sub off your floor 22% of your room hght for best results.
         So silly me gave it a try. WOW! A substanial difference. I thought I had no lag, hangover or boom until I did this. It was like getting a better Sub. Amazing. Simply amazing.
          Of course they sell a bass trap designed for this purpose, but you can make your own or just raise it up with no trap.
        Say your clg. hght. is 8'-0", multiply that by 22% [ approx. 21" off floor ] and that is where the sub should be raised to. It may be ugly but it is very affective. Give it a try and report your findings..

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Raise that Sub.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:18:57 AM »
Abolutely.  People tend to think 2 dimensionally.  People will move their sub out of a corner for smoother response and think they're good.  To a point it's better since you're away from at least 1 boundary - but you are still sitting on a boundary and usually sitting up against another one (the wall).  Raising it and keeping out of a corner gets you away from 2 of the 3 boundaries.

Best of all, if you DIY, it's a free performance increase!  Not too many of those in high end audio.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 08:31:22 AM »
bpape,
           Your so right. I placed the Sub Approx. 4'-0" [ center line of drivers ] from the right speaker away from the rear wall 2'-0" and the side wall 7'-0". So far so good.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 08:41:30 AM »
If it's easy to move around, try using prime number theory.  Break each dimension into 7ths.  Place the sub at some 7th of each dimension.  5ths can work but it also puts it at 40% which usually isn't a good place for seating or speakers to be.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley