Author Topic: Horn Free  (Read 10160 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Horn Free
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

A large, sealed, 3 way box for 2 Eminence 2512 12" woofers, Jantzen JA8008 8" midrange, waveguide loaded Audax TW034.

The box is 19" w, 60" h, 26" d - a little wider than the previous horn loaded version.

Vacuum bagged, foam sangwich construction, hoping for increased enclosure wall stiffness with reduced weight.

I hope that these high-sensitivity, paper and silk drivers will make music that is "Glowing with Warmth and Wonder!" like the movie.  :D

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Horn Free
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »
No horns???... a very sad day  :duh   #-o  :cry:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 06:03:45 AM »
Between changing the baffle width and rearranging the drivers as pictured, plan on an almost entirely different crossover. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 06:12:42 AM »
  Paper and silk the sound of music. For me the only horns I could live with would be Tannoy and Klipsh. A tough act for DIY.
   To date have not met a metal tweeter that I liked. Now it is all about the crossover. The heart of the whole deal. Have fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:20:16 AM »
Don't worry Pete, front loaded horns are next on the docket. I already have the drivers for 200hz tractrix.

Yes Mike, a new crossover will be in order. I'll be PMing you for help.

Thanks Charlie!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »
On 10/22 I ordered a hand vacuum pump from Amazon. I checked the mfg website, it said it was American company. Super Saver shipping arrived on 25th, package says made in China. oops, back it goes.

I found a pump made in Kentucky. I email them to make sure it is indeed made in KY, they reply quickly that it is. Place an order on Amazon on Oct25 when Sandy is in Cuba. Amazon Marketplace vendor in NY marks it shipped within an hour to lock in the sale, prevent cancellation, but never actually ships it when they could have, then the storm hit and they were wiped out. On Nov 18 the shipment was late enough that I can finally get an instant refund from Amazon. A week later I see it listed on Amazon again, sold and stocked by Amazon. So I give it another try. Shipped by USPS today, should be here Wednesday.

Wood and foam have been cut and waiting for a long time. I will use 1/4" luan over 2" pink foam board, glued by trowelled film of PL urethane construction adhesive, and clamped by vacuum bag. Vacuum bag is sheet of clear poly folded over, edges sealed closed with mortite caulk. Sounds good in theory....   I have 10 panels to make. The foam sandwich will be extremely stiff, and light. These will be big cabinets, so trying to keep it light. Front baffle and mid box will be 1.5" thick ply.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 05:49:07 AM »
The foam sandwich will be extremely stiff, and light. These will be big cabinets, so trying to keep it light. Front baffle and mid box will be 1.5" thick ply.
Who needs the gym?  :D

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 03:43:43 PM »
Big fan of horns and high effeciency speakers. As time allows and I get my benches freed up a bit, I have another speaker build planned.

These will be similar to my current MTM towers but will go for a waveguide loaded tweeter this time around. I need at lead 94dB and prefer 2 ways and paper cone woofers. We'll see what actually transpires when the time comes.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
Rich,

Did the pump ever show up?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 05:20:29 AM »
Yes, I got the hand pump. Next is glue up the panels.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »
2013 the year of the Horn. May the Horn be with you.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »
OK, while you Yanks are digging out 3 feet of snow...

Down here in Carolinas, the daffodil sprouts are already a foot tall, cherrys trees are blooming, it's light outside until 6:30PM and solstice is only 6 weeks away. Time to fire up the boiler and start the 2013 speaker building season! I think it will be busy this year!

This project was put on hold for hibernation, but it stayed fresh in the fridge. Yesterday I went out to cut some parts I seemingly forgot to cut last fall, only to find the already cut parts hiding in the scrap pile, after I cut the new ones. Some things never change. But it  was fun to run the saw and get the juices moving.

I still need to cut the 3/4" plywood parts, but the laminating of the other box parts can begin.

All box walls are 2.5" thick laminated foam sandwich, except the front baffle which is two layers of thick plywood.

Here are the stacks of luan and foam ready for laminating with PL urethane adhesive:

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »
I think you mean the equinox is only 6 weeks a way ;) but I'm psyched to hear about your speaker building adventures just the same :D
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
Yes, equinox. Thanks for catching that before Zeus saw it. phew! I'm such a bad pagan.   :(

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 06:44:47 AM »
Well Rich, I just got scared thinking about how short the daylight hours would be, if the longest day of the year was only 6 weeks away ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...