Author Topic: HAL MS-5 Music Server PC in testing  (Read 3140 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
HAL MS-5 Music Server PC in testing
« on: January 15, 2019, 02:24:32 PM »
Testing on the next generation HAL Music Server has begun.  It will be called the MS-5.  This will be a quad core cpu fanless system running Windows 10 in the same chassis as the MS-2 and MS-3. 

For folks getting a dspMusikLCD system with the MS-5, Audio Weaver can now be preinstalled and a license can be setup via Danville Signal to run the latest DSP development system for crossover use with modification capability. 

The extra processing power will make things like room correction running on the MS-5 possible along with Audio Weaver. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
Re: HAL MS-5 Music Server PC in testing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 07:56:32 PM »
Price?
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:29:20 AM »
The costs all went up due to tariffs.  Should be close to the MS-3 price of $799 + shipping.

Also checking to see if it can be an upgrade to the existing MS-2/MS-2 systems.  Will be testing that as soon as parts arrive.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 09:20:21 PM »
The costs all went up due to tariffs.  Should be close to the MS-3 price of $799 + shipping.

Also checking to see if it can be an upgrade to the existing MS-2/MS-2 systems.  Will be testing that as soon as parts arrive.

I would be interested if upgrading my MS-3 will be viable option.You have my attention Rich.
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: HAL MS-5 Music Server PC is available
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 12:15:43 PM »
The beta testing has gone well and the HAL MS-5 was demoed at AXPONA 2019 in the Danville Signal room running The Monoliths speaker system.

The cost of a new HAL MS-5 is $899.00+shipping.   The cost of the HAL MS-2 or MS-3 to MS-5 upgrade is $450.00+shipping.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: HAL MS-5 Music Server PC in demo
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 01:59:48 PM »
The HAL MS-5 demo unit from AXPONA 2019 is on the way to an MS-2 owner to compare for a possible upgrade. 

Will be interesting to hear his feedback on the system.

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
I'm the MS-2 owner mentioned in Rich's previous post. I've spent a little over a week comparing the performance of the MS-5 to my MS-2 in my system and I just can't hear any difference between the two servers at this point.
I have concluded that there is no downside to the extra
processing power in the MS-5.
 I am hypercritical when it comes to size of the recreated sound stage and its 3 dimensionality and circumambient qualities. A noisy gaming laptop like my ASUS GL703V sounds essentially 2 dimensional( ie, flatter than a Swedish pancake) when compared to either the MS-2 or the MS-5.
 Given the positive results of my A/B comparison of the MS-2 to the MS-5, I am opting for the upgrade. In as much as this is a brand new MS-5 installed in your old case, the $450 seems to be a heck of a deal for a brand new music server.
Thank you very much for loaning me the MS-5 to evaluate in my system I really appreciate it.
Scotty :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:46:24 PM by _Scotty_ »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 03:09:52 PM »
Scotty,
Thanks for posting your MS-5 observations!

Had a question about running Roon with TIDAL.  After I received the demo system back today, installed Roon with TIDAL for testing.  The MS-5 system is running it correctly and playing files and streaming music.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: HAL MS-5 Music Server PC is available
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 01:57:58 PM »
Had another question about Roon and TIDAL HiFi supporting MQA.

Setup the Meridian Explorer2 headphone DAC with the MS-5 demo system running Windows 10 version 1803 and the new USB2 Audio native driver and was able to stream with TIDAL and decode the MQA files to HiRez playback.

Scotty's MS-2 unit for the MS-5 upgrade is here and will be doing the install once the parts arrive.

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
I have spent the last several days listening to my recently upgraded MS-2, basically a MS-5 after the new mother board and new SSD hard drive installation.
 I had a 500GB SSD, (supplied by me), installed as well as the mother board upgrade. The upgrade from the MS-2 to the MS-5 results in a unit that sounds at least as good as the MS-2 and works better in every way. Every program runs faster and you don't see the dreaded working symbol when opening a program or executing a process within a program.
 The 1080p video resolution is also a very welcome by-product of the upgrade. The GUI of all programs displays properly is easier to see and interact with.
 Needless to say I am very pleased with Rich's upgrade to my MS-2. The visual improvements and the increased program responsiveness due to the more powerful 4 core processor are very welcome additions to the basic excellent audio playback inherent in the MS platform.
 Well done Rich.
Scotty
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:06:21 PM by _Scotty_ »