Author Topic: How important is the center channel amplification?  (Read 13968 times)

Hantra

How important is the center channel amplification?
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:24:33 PM »
All:

I'm about to embark on some multi-channel integration into my 2 channel setup.  I am not changing anything on my 2 channel system, but I'll be adding the multi channel stuff.  

I think I am going to use another identical Piega speaker for my center channel, but I don't necessarily want to buy another 501 monoblock.  In fact, I am wondering how important it is to have the same, or similar amp on the center.  I could bi-amp with another McIntosh stereo amp, but I'm still spending more than I want to spend.  

Will it be really noticeable if I have different amps across the front?

I'm new to all this multi channel stuff.

Thanks!

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 01:36:03 PM »
I just went through this and after trying more amps than I care to remember,  I came to the conclusion that center channel amplification does matter but I would not spend the money on a 501 unless you have an outrageously power hungry center or money to burn.

I have a somewhat power hungry 6ohm center and it performs very well with a steady 125W into it. I have tried more powerful amps and didn't see any noticeable difference that would make me want to run out and spend a lot of money on it. I even went so far as to bi-amp my center and once again the difference in performance was negligible.....if there was any at all.

Just my two cents but it comes from a guy who has swapped out a ton of HT equipment over the last few years.

The only time I might change my view is if you post and tell me that you are going to be listening to a lot of multi channel audio, then you may in fact want balanced power throughout the system but even then, I think it's overkill. I put my time and money into powering my mains. After that I just use what works.

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Thanks a lot man!  

One more question. . . .

Regarding non-fronts . . .  If you have a nice pair of speakers, and then a . . . decent pair. . .  which goes where?  Which is more important, surrounds, or rears?

Thanks!

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »
Quote from: "Hantra"
Thanks a lot man!  

Regarding non-fronts . . .  If you have a nice pair of speakers, and then a . . . decent pair. . .  which goes where?  Which is more important, surrounds, or rears?

Thanks!

Nice - Surrounds
Decent - Rears

7.1 is overrated as there is so little that is actually done in Dolby Digital EX or DTS-ES that its not worth the time worrying about it. Most decent pre's will let you matrix almost anything into 7.1 so.....try it and see what you think but after going as high as a 9.1 set-up, I'm now back to 7.1 and will be going back to good old 5.1 as soon as my Monitor Audio GS20's sell.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »
I think 7.1 is good if you have a 40' deep soundroom.  I haven't heard a 7.1 system that I thought was truly better than a well setup 5.1, though... and I'm sure they can...

I plan on using my mini monitor Piega's as rears in the new house.. I'll just need a center.  Nobody's buying my P5's so I may have to end up keeping them... instead of moving up to the c8's.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:11:54 PM »
Just remember that voicing the front 3 the same is very important.  Even though you have 3 identical speakers, if the amps are different enough to cause them to sound significantly different, you've wasted your money on buying that 3rd identical speaker.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 06:30:26 AM »
John,
How did you like Dolby IIx on the Arcam in 7.1? That Widesrceen review of AVR300 said that the surround processing was terrific and made 2 channel recordings really come to life. Was that your experience with the 350?
Thanks,
Rich

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 11:36:36 PM »
Quote from: "richidoo"
John,
How did you like Dolby IIx on the Arcam in 7.1? That Widesrceen review of AVR300 said that the surround processing was terrific and made 2 channel recordings really come to life. Was that your experience with the 350?
Thanks,
Rich

Everything you have ever read about the AVR350 is probably true with one exception, output power. Other than that one thing, it's an amazing receiver!

If you are running power hungry speakers, you will need a two channel amp. I tried the Arcam AVR350 for a long time with the speakers I just had made and the Arcam would barely get them working and run out of gas. Granted we are talking a 6ohm speaker that is on the greedy side but I expected more out of the Arcam based on reviews I read that all seem to touch on how powerful it is.

It's very capable but powerful is a bit of a stretch.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 06:01:16 AM »
That is handy to know. My speakers are pretty hungry. That's why I didn't buy the 300.
Thanks

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Re: How important is the center channel amplification?
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 09:07:59 AM »
Any update on your multi-channel system?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Hantra

Re: How important is the center channel amplification?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 03:24:06 PM »
None.  The entire system is still boxed, and I need to paint the room before I do anything.  Unfortunately, the list is long, and that is pretty low down.   :?